Arcanum Expansion

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Lord Deker, Jul 30, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Lord Deker

Lord Deker New Member

I know what I am doing, it is Arcanum 2 suggestion forum, and I ask for expnasion here. But I think it is better place to land as it is here people look for CHANGE.

I personally think it will be a lot easier to make an Arcanum Expansion, for the time being. Maybe the Troika guys are busy, but making an expansion is easy for this editor-based game, and I can see enough customer heading for it, it also boost sales of the basic set.

What I expected would be a renewed editor, with balanced data, bug solved, and a expansion game map. Here is a list of addition I think reasonable to be added in an expansion :

"New" Races : Full Orc, Ogre, Orc/Halfing/Gnome Lady
    New Background : Any
    New Schematic : Any
    New Item : both for fun and using
    Better Follower AI : You know what I mean...... silly mage and so......
    Spell : Rework those useless spell a bit, and also too powerful spell
    Tech : Rework useless items
    Skill : Above Rank 20 by other means (but you can only learn to 20 by cp)
    Equip : Allow 2hand fighting, with penalty, of course
    Repair : Can turn rusty to fine

These are easy to do, no drawing done, all based on base data.
    And I would suggest :

Troll and Lizard Being (In Dark Fen) as new race,
    The sixth, or even seventh spell, Eighth tech.
    New monster, I suggest some large insect
    New skill for each type, Dual wield, Biding, Attract, ?, maybe
    Gun reloading! And ammo need to be modified in some guns before use.
    More friendly ScrEdi and DlgEdi

I mean all this changes are done in expansion editor. I wouldn't mind costing me half the prize of a normal game to buy an expansion, for the above changes.

I simply want to point out some easy doing point which many of us will like it. Making Expansion is not small job, but is much easier than making a new game. And the above point, I believe , is easy enough to be included in an expansion. Do you think it is possible?

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Capital idea! :thumbup:

Yep, you're absolutely right - an expansion would be far, far easier to do than a brand new game. I'm sure that the changes you mentioned could be done too (indeed, the whole reason for not including dwarf/halfling/gnome females were merely time issues). They just have to flesh out the existing producy with some new fancy stuff. And raise the level cap (otherwise the board will be clogged up by people whining :D )

Additionally, I'd like to be able to customize my characters appearance to a greater extent. It would be a vast improvement since right now, everyone's a clone (ah, those things have been discussed at the boards millions of times already)...

And there's definately a market for it. Most people that have Arcanum would want to have this.

The greatest problem would be to make up a good story. We've been through all Arcanum already. Of course, including a new continent is always an option. Other than that, they could just place it all in the Age of Legends (wereas we could have great use of the greater spells and the über technological contraptions of Vendiroth).

Gah! Expansion, sequel... I care not of what, really. I'm just dying to see Troika doing any new content for Arcanum! :booze:

3. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

Someday, if I can ever get a better computer (instead of my current, worthless, slagheap which barely runs Arcanum) I will finish my Arcanum mod. Besides retooling a lot of items, and spells, and so forth, it will add a large island to expore. Don't look for it anytime soon though. It's a one-man operation and I'm not exactly slick in the reprograming department. :-(

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Well, I suppose that fan-made content is the future for Arcanum. There's quite a big thing going on at http://www.blackout-mods.com . A Troika-made expansion would of course have been better :) , though I fear that the hope for seeing any such thing dies a bit for every passing day...

5. Aura Emenator

Aura Emenator New Member

Your Mother

The Blackout mod sounds like it could be pretty good. I'd like to help, but I'm just an artist, with no graphic design software. If they ever finish it I'm sure it'll be popular as hell around here, maybe breath some new life into this forum too. More items and expended tech and magic trees would be great. Plenty you can do in Arcanum, but only a couple of ways to make a really effective character so most stuff is just filler. Should be more guns for large characters, more good melee weapons for technologists, more useful material stashed around, new altars to leave offerings at. Different types of ammo rather than just "bullets" like bullets for shooting through magic shields and explosive bullets, maybe armor piercing bullets. A little bit more all across the board could add a few more hours to play around with.

6. Lord Deker

Lord Deker New Member

There are really lots to add if an expansion is made. And yes balancing different character type is deadly important. But apart from item provided, story affect the effectiveness of any skills. From the current game some skill and spell have only one use.

And I think the expansion should have the same world map used, but with expanded area to explore, more city, more place for killing and quest. Most non-main plot NPC can remain but just give no quest or new quest.

I would really want to see an orc encampment or village! And maybe tribe of troll. A halfing farming town full of male and female halfing would also be nice (or even better, having Gorgoth to eat all of them! :D )

Our Host!