Arcanum Editor 1.8 Opinions needed on possible addition.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKoepp, Sep 25, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Metathiax

Metathiax New Member

Found Schimatics

If you could find a way to edit the found schimatics instead of having the leared ones changeable that would be great

2. Leto Atreides II

Leto Atreides II New Member

Hmm, DKoepp didn't see my post. I'll try again.

Now, I'd be satisfied just seeing Sebastian and Franklin Payne in the next version. I read in the readme file that you needed saves with these two NPC's. Do you still need them?

Also, you might want to add the ability to edit XP (for those who want to decrease their level to allow followers to level up after they hit the level cap of 50 or 100). I've done it many times already with a hex editor. To calculate XP, you need to take the "XP to level up" value that you can find in your game, and subtract this from the XP needed to be the next level in xplevel.mes (I think that's what it was called).

3. DKoepp

DKoepp New Member

Leto, it does seem that somehow I missed your post. Well it would help if you sent in the save with both those characters. As for xp thanks for the hint on how to edit I will look into adding it into the editor.

4. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Nice suggestion there, Metathiax. :smile:

5. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

I tried to send it through a different email account and it crashed once more. At least this time it said that I exceeded the server's limit so I got confirmaiton of what I suspected. Damn, I really wanted to help. Just hope somebody will be successful in sending you those files.

6. Metathiax

Metathiax New Member

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks hope my horrable spelling wasn't to annoying.

7. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

[/quote]

Thanks hope my horrable spelling wasn't to annoying.
    [/quote]

You should remove the first "[/quote]"

8. Dramhail

Dramhail New Member

The original request was made for 'opinions'. That request can easily be met :smile:

The found schematic editing has been suggested; I'd like to second that.

Another function I'd like to see is a 'remembering' of the character name associated with a particular *.TFAF. Arcanum seems a little odd in that it will not automatically recreate a Slot1 save when available, but will often continue sequentially from the last. (In my experience; Slot 1-20 might be free with 21 used; next new save is created with Slot22 names... might just be me, though) So, for most players SlotX will typically have NameY. This could be handled different ways, and is minor I suppose.

Finally, if Arcanum is the grandchild of Fallout, then Wasteland is its great-grandfather. IMHO one of the most fun options in that game was to take the same party back through the game again and again. This was available in Fallout through file-manipulation. I don't expect there to be the ability to do so in an editor, but does anyone know of a way to accomplish the same thing in Arcanum?

9. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

10. Metathiax

Metathiax New Member

11. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Why?

12. Dathis

Dathis New Member

Go ahead and add the option to change race or gender, I would like to fonosh my original game with RAVEN however as a half elf a glitch forces her to leave at the ring of brodgar, I would love to change my race class just to get past that point and finish with her in my party.

13. DKoepp

DKoepp New Member

That is a good point as I just tested to see if Raven would still leave the party if I do the change to my half elf character. As it was she did rejoin after telling my character how much she loved her(forgot to turn the character back to male, I guess Raven didn't care that the man she fell in love with went through a total race/sex change).

14. Skie88

Skie88 New Member

:lol:
    How about changing portrait, is it hard to add that to the editor?? I really like Arronax portrait, its a pity he a pathetic npc.. :smile:

Any improvement done is fine with me, nice editor by the way. Thanks for the effort in helping us rpgamers. :smile:

15. com2kid

com2kid New Member

Being able to edit stats above a races normal max would also be quite welcome, or does the game have build in checks against this?

Of course the ability to change a players race would quickly take care of that one :smile:

Being able to edit a technologies appitude rating would also be nice, especialy handy for those dumb charecters that are not able to learn all of a technological disipline but of which the player would really like to be able to make a certian item *COUGH* elixer of hypnotic suggestion *COUGH*.

I think that it would take something slightly greater then an Act of God to get an inventory editor in there though, hehe.

16. Condor

Condor New Member

I would like to see the editor install instructions added for WindowsXP and to have it run successfully under WindowsXP.

17. com2kid

com2kid New Member

Install instructions?

::roll eyes::

Uh

unzip

run EXE

END.

Seriously now though, uh, get a real OS? something that does NOT involve teh ghey skins.

Damnable n00bs, if they want pr33ty c0l0rs they should get a mac. . . .

:roll:

Oh yah, and if you cannot figure out where the system folder is under XP then you REALLY need to get some help. . .

And for info on registering .dlls under XP, if the Regsvr32 progie don't work then use google for info.

And if next time you want a polite reply (which I am more then willing to do) try NOT blaming it on the author of the program and instead just asking "BTW: how do I register the DLL under windowsXP, the Regsvr32 method does not seem to be working".

That is the proper format, NEVER EVER EVER, unless you can write 2 or 3 paragraph proofs (anybody who has ever recieved any of my bug reports knows about this one. . . . :smile: ) say that 'compatibility needs to be added'.

Your the one using an OS before it has even been released (don't care if you are a Beta tester with teh legal version, bleh), how do you expect HIM to LEGALY be able to test it out under XP when he cannot even BUY XP yet, eh?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: com2kid on 2001-10-18 09:20 ]</font>

18. DKoepp

DKoepp New Member

Ok lets me address all the new posts that have been posted since my last one.

First we have portrait changing. I have not looked into this since it is so easy to make custom portraits for this game which might screw up the editor if I can not find a way to show these. As for you using Arronax's portrait for your own, it should be easy to make a custom portrait out of the original and just use that one. Use the undat program to get the picture out of arcanum3.dat, then change maybe use the portrait processer to change it to a format so that you can use it for your main character. All in all not a hard process.

Next we come to technology apititude. The best way to add it is to just give yourself all the techs in that catagory using my editor. Then you will find yourself able to make any of the learned schematics. I know I was able to with my mage since he had all the normal tech learned. AS for the item editing I have not yet given up hope of cracking it open and learning how to do it.

Lastly we come to the Windows XP issue. I have spoken to several people who have got the program running under XP. Like everyone else the problem was that they did not have all the needed dlls registered on the system.
    While I have heard regsvr32 does work on XP to register the files, so my instructions on how to install dlls and such do not need to change. I want to thank you com2kid for your response to this issue. I agree with you totally and I know I personally hate it when people say the editor does not work and only give very vague explanations in what is wrong leaving it up to me to try and figure out why it didn't work and if there is anything I could do to fix it or whether it was just something wrong with the computer they were using.

19. com2kid

com2kid New Member

Ah, but Arcanum has a built in checker, if a players INT is not high enough so that the player would normaly be able to learn all of the tech degrees, they will only get a technical aptitude upto the point where they would normaly be able to do so legaly.

I can send you a file with a charecter who has all of the degress and yet none of the tech apps are above 50 (!!!)

Ah, the disadvantages of an INT of 14

Do wish that it was possible to have chars go way over the race maxs, heh, but even magic items in the game cannot do that (which kinda makes them useless later on in the game if ya ask me. . . . ;*(** )

20. DKoepp

DKoepp New Member

I now see what you mean about the apititude. I am not sure if there is a way to edit it besides raising intelligence which I suppose will be limited by race/background. I am also not sure if switching races will do anything as I do not think the statistics change when you do that, I need to test more on it.

Our Host!