Amtut comming to youtube!

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Chaoswizard98, Apr 11, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Chaoswizard98

Chaoswizard98 Member

I had 3.2 up for a while, forgot to post the link. All of chapter 3 is posted now along with the whole playlist and my channel.

Your welcome :)

2. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

No worries - also, WOW you have been busy. Watched almost all of 3, will check out 3.6 later.

Btw would you be interested in me adding a little bit to my world map tutorial so that it includes "such as such marks the location on your map" and how to end the game + show slides + music?

They're small and easy to do, but maybe some people might be interested. Not sure

3. Chaoswizard98

Chaoswizard98 Member

4. Chaoswizard98

Chaoswizard98 Member

Hey everyone sorry for the long wait, just started college so I've been a bit busy. Anyways the next episode for the video guide shall be out soon. The next episode will be on creating the 3 different types of quests. Delivery, kill something, and talk to someone. Enjoy

5. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

Strange my post didn't appear. Well I'll be sure check out your video and good luck with college!

6. Chaoswizard98

Chaoswizard98 Member

7. Chaoswizard98

Chaoswizard98 Member

Been a while, Also I noticed that I uploaded the quests tutorial without ever linking it here =/
    Anyways I Added a tutorial on custom portraits and added the link for quests.

Still planning on finishing the tutorial where Dark Underlord left off!
    Enjoy

8. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Keep up the good work, it's nice to know the project isn't dead.

9. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

Oooh a tute on custom portraits. Was that on youtube or on this site?

Edit: nevermind, just check the original post :p Will check the links

10. Bloodspikes

Bloodspikes New Member

Chaoswizard98, I inspected the dialogue/quest tutorial and I wondered if it wouldn't be easier to use ScriptEd 1.50-beta for making dialogues and quests? By my personal experience it is a lot less time consuming, user friendly and comes with a guaranteed possibility of much less headache. Not to mention that it's not only useful for dialogues it can also be used for manual scripting, which checks your script for mistakes when compiled (you get a command list too). Sure, it has some bugs like the random crash once in a while, but that doesn't bother too much. I know the developers didn't use anything except for the notepad(?) and the Sockmonkey, but why should we if we could spend less time using better programs?
    Manual scripting will make you write scripts automatically from memory with speed if used a lot, mind you.

I'd like to say a few things what I know 'bout those amtut ideas if you don't mind:

Chapter 24 -- Making a Quest - I know how to make many if not all types of quests.
    Chapter XX -- Creating Custom Character Backgrounds - You'd best be ready to become a data lurker.
    Chapter XX -- Monster Generators? - I thought you just had to select an NPC, IE wolf, go to the "generator..." tab and make the thing a monster spawning nightmare. No?
    Chapter XX -- Things to Try (Talking trees, wishing wells, friendly rock monsters...) - Talking trees? NPC with tree graphics +flags. Wishing wells? NPC with well graphics +flags and give cash. Friendly rock monsters? Get rid of that "Kill on Sight" flag.

11. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

I have in fact a friendly rock monster in my module, did it for the lulz :p

But for monster generators and wacky NPCs in general it'd be good to have a tute so new people both know it exists and that it's not hard to do. I don't need it personally but I'd watch the videos anyway in case he mentioned some things I hadn't though of.

Ooh ohh speaking of plants and stuff as NPCs I just had the most EVIL idea. Hehe.... hm... is it possible to make a prototype monster which uses art from different areas (such as scenery)? It'd be not too hard to do just in editor, but whether it can be done via prototypes to save time is another matter.

12. Chaoswizard98

Chaoswizard98 Member

Custom Character backgrounds looked a little crazy XD Ill get it eventually...

Monster generators, There are a lot more to them that meets the eye. Inactive on screen, time active, how to turn them on / off, making a summoning effect when they spawn, ect.

Things to try seemed super easy. You pretty much just explained how to do it all XD.

Although the one thing I really want to know how to do is to make cutscenes and movies.

As for scriptED I never even heard of it XD Ill be sure to check it out! I try to write tutorials based on what most people have on their computers already. In my custom portrait tut I used MS paint instead of Photoshop.
    Also if the download sites ever stop working the tutorial wouldn't be helpful without the tools.

13. Bloodspikes

Bloodspikes New Member

Oh no, not a long post again!
    The Pigeon, I like the idea of the hidden monsters. I think it would be awesome if there were some in Arcanum.

Hmm... I think it is possible to script an NPC to appear when you arrive near them. I've already learned how to make the annoying beggar style dialogue which appears only when you're right beside a character. I wonder if it is possible to somehow merge that with the (heartbeat) script which makes someone appear due to certain circumstances. (I have TONS of scripts)

To shorten the post I'll add the script as a spoiler.

0. IF local flag 1 is set
    THEN return and RUN default

1. IF global flag 12 is set
    THEN goto line 7

2. IF local flag 0 is set
    THEN return and RUN default
    ELSE goto line 4

3. return and RUN default

4. toggle Attachee state on/off

5. set local flag 0 to true

6. return and RUN default

7. toggle Attachee state on/off

8. set local flag 1 to true

9. return and RUN default
    I tested if it is possible to have an aggressive tree or bush:

1. Sadly, changing a forest ape into a tree didn't have good results. He didn't do a thing, if I remember correctly.
    2. As grass he actually tried to do something. Mostly yell a lot. Same when he had the appearance of the mouse cursor (for experimentation purposes, right?).
    3. It was ridiculous to attack a huge piece of bread which also sat idly on the ground.
    4. The ape worked great as a legitimate ogre. The attack animation made him punch faster than usual.
    5. I did find one combination, though. I gave him the appearance of eye candy (blood) and he actually attacked. That can be used to make an NPC into a turret, armed with the Elephant Gun! Think of the joy when the PC crosses paths with a devastating cannon machine-thing!
    Note that the attack animation is the eye candy's own animation (IE blood flowing). It won't walk because it doesn't have a separate animation for movement.

I'm not going to tinker with prototypes, I think. They've never interested me too much. So, I might just leave it at that.

I guess no one has tested something like this before?

Chaoswizard98, the monster generators don't seem to be difficult to understand, but there is one complication with them that I've run into. I don't know if anyone has succeeded in this, but I haven't been able to turn the generators on/off with a script. So, I guess there's something I've missed or...? (Off topic a lil') Same when I tried to make a script that hid/unhid an (quest) item's appearance from someone's inventory. Everything seemed legitimate, but yet no success.

Well, I'm not very much into cutscenes or movies, but they would be awesome if they'd exist in a module. It'd probably need experience in 3D modeling/animating if you want to make a movie like Arcanum's team did. I have some experience with it and I'm pretty darn sure that you'd need a heck of a PC if you'd want to render a long movie like the intro.

Oh, um... about ScriptEd -- I just checked and the bloody download link seems to be outdated! Glad I got it when it was still active. I might even be willing to send it to you, if you want to try it out. I heavily recommend it for it's simplicity.

And, well, there seems to be a lot more "Things to try" in Arcanum. So far I've made a wheat processing machine, a brewing machine, mannequins (somewhat useless) and more fun stuff that give the little spice to your module, know what I mean?

14. Chaoswizard98

Chaoswizard98 Member

What a long post. Anyways, hidden monsters (remember attacking stringy pete?) All the skeletons popped out. That was all generators though and I think your talking about making trees attack people.

As for turning generators on and off I have one working in my mod at the moment. I have a large snake which "summons" smaller ones to fight as long as its alive.

Basically I have a smaller snake generator ID = 1.
    The large snake has a script attached to its dying script point.
    0: Toggle generator (1) on/off.
    1: Return and run default.

Now in order to make the script flawless You'd also need to add the line "remove this script" in there.
    I haven't done so yet, so resurrecting the large snake and killing it again turns the smaller snakes back on XD

I also Think you can tell the generator to only spawn a lifetime amount of monsters. I haven't tried it out but I think its by unchecking the "ignore total" button.

Ill make a vid explaining it all soon since you want to know

As for videos, Ive done some animating. (check my channel for The Great Luphinar Adventure Series) I'm not the best animator but that's why I'm making that series, to get better :)
    By the way, episode 2 is WAY better than episode 1 lol

15. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

@Bloodspikes

Thanks for your ideas and time. The heart beat condition sounds promising, so long as there's a script which changes art it should be ok.

Also;

"Sadly, changing a forest ape into a tree didn't have good results." and " As grass he actually tried to do something. Mostly yell a lot. " was hilarious the first time i read it - I know what you actually mean :p but total made scientist vibe there for a sec.

My idea is to have attacking shrubberies mixed among identical bushes which are normal static ones. Maybe even have a creature which changes it's art from bush/rock to bandit. The true camouflaged assassin! A wary player would put their mouse cursor over terrain ahead to see if anything highlighted. But if their guard was down - ambush!

@Chaoswizard98

Sounds cool might give it a go some point.

16. Gillsing

Gillsing New Member

You can already hide characters and monsters behind leaves. Gorgoth Pass and other areas are full of hidden apes. And I hated it so much, because my character should use the Perception attribute to spot ambushes, not rely on my hunting for pixels. So I saved and reloaded whenever one of those apes made it to my group before I could shoot it down.

But I guess it's hard to restrain game designers who see an opportunity to play tricks on players. They didn't listen to Loghaire Thunder Stone: As a human, his first thought was "what can I use this for?", when it should have been "what is the cost of its use?" :cry:

17. Bloodspikes

Bloodspikes New Member

I'm pretty sure it was actually a similar script to what I posted previously as a spoiler. It is easy to make ambushes like that. Also, it can be used to make a certain quest NPC appear after completing a quest or something.

I've only been to the haunted ship, north of Ashbury, that has a bunch of skeletons "awake" after it's midnight. Never been to Stringy Pete, only heard about him. He's in the main quest, right? I played the evil way, so I wouldn't know. Stillwater ended up as a ghost town. :)

18. Chaoswizard98

Chaoswizard98 Member

@Gillsing: I love Loghaire's lines. His entire script was well written. And although I agree completely with Mr. Thunderstone, my module is going to have a ton of traps and encounters like that.

@pigeon What about having a bunch of buried zombies (the ones that come out of the ground) hidden amongst a bunch of scenery that has the same art? So the area looks like it has a bunch of dirt mounds but hidden amongst them are real zombies?

@bloodspikes Ive played the game good, evil, magical, tech, pure neutral, and currently working on pacifist (me or my followers cannot kill anything, its quite interesting). Stringy pete is one of the 3 ways to get a ship to sail to Thanatos for the good storyline.
    You can either do his quests or you can kill him, although for killing him to work you need to patch the game. Attacking him makes a bunch of his crew members ambush you from behind the rocks.

19. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

20. Bloodspikes

Bloodspikes New Member

At the character properties click the "Conceal" button and confirm the changes. The zombie will be hidden.

Our Host!