All my questions compressed into one

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by temoid., Sep 24, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. temoid.

temoid. New Member

1) I am playing as a human thrower, with charisma for 3 followers, some persuasion, lvl 2 electrical and lvl4-5 explosive sciences in the future. In my previous game i was a dwarf electrician 3k EXP short of the tesla rod. Magnus and Virgil were just terrible.. all they did was die and pickup trash i throw away. The only useful teammate i met was the dog. So would please somebody give me a hint concerning some other followers, cause i don't feel like getting Magnus just to let him make spike traps :roll:
    2) I heard a lot of people talk about Azram's star and the "decapipicator"(!?). I would like to ask if those weapons are in some super secret area or they can be simply found in ancient ruins or such
    3) Thirdly, the dog just kicks ass.. too bad i dont have 3 dogs :D
    (will post mroe questions as they arise)
    Cheers.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Well, that depends really. What level are you, and are you good or evil? If you want melee power, Chukka is a great alternative (Bates bodyguard, you can get him after you've been to the BMC mine if you're lv15 or higher and have enough charisma and persuasion, which you appearently have). But it all comes down to your level and alignment, since it's pretty useless for a lv30 character to have a lv16 follower, and since some people won't join if you're too good or too evil. Please inform us.

You find Azrams star when you're doing the Master Throwing quest. It's a magickal weapon, so I don't really recommend it for you, since you're obviously in for technology.
    The Aerial Decapitator is an "easter-eggish" weapon. It can be found at these coordinates: EDITED AWAY

Yup, dog is a killing machine allright. Just incredible... but you only get one, I'm afraid.

By the way, welcome to the forum :)

3. temoid.

temoid. New Member

i am already lvl 8, in tarant, with molotovs ripping through my enemies like a knife through hot butter (zombies and rats:D) . Going as a goody two-shoes again probably..
    Aerial Decapitator: i don't want to cheat going there, so i tried not to look at the coordinates.. I think that even though azrams star is magical, i am not going to be a super techie (2 lvl electrical 5 lvl explosives) and at least its better than a plain serrated chakram

4. Dark Elf

Media:
    Oh, I'm sorry that I spoiled the location for you... I'm going to edit away that so you won't be lured back to look at it :D (don't worry, it's easy to find the location on this site)

As for the followers - since you appearently don't want anything spoiled, I'm just going to post the location of some potential followers you might like to have. You wanted melee power, right?

Shrouded Hills - The Inn (you may or may not want this follower, considering that he's only lv2, but 6 levels won't really matter that much in the end...)

Tarant - HT Parnells (Charisma and Persuasion comes to good use)

Dernholm - say, ever wanted a tech medic? Starts out at lv6 though...

Wheel Clan - I'll leave it to you to figure that one out...

Island of Despair - good for you that you're not a gnome...

...there are plenty more followers that could suit you, but these are the ones that I could think of for the moment. Have fun :)

If you really want to be lame, here's the place to check out all followers:

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/characterb ... lowers.php

And here:

http://www.rpgplanet.com/arcanum/creatu ... wers.shtml

5. temoid.

temoid. New Member

also. who can tell me what skills do i need to make a pyrotechnic bow? Chackrams suck, a good throwing weapon is an easter egg, so i think i will go as a grenade throwing bow toting maniac :D
    PS: where approximately is Dernholm on the map? (in the area between tarant and SH, the elven forest, etc)
    PPS: is virgil need to progress in the game? *looks forward to "no"*
    *prepares his stun grenades and a sharp poking stick* :)

6. Corsarius

Corsarius New Member

Grenades.... probably the most irritating things in the entire bloody game.

Sure, they have some cool effects, and do even cooler amounts of damage.

More's the pity that you get NO EXPERIENCE POINTS AT ALL for using the bloody things. You're not going anywhere fast if you're running around chucking grenades, my lad.

Now electricity... ahh. Sweet electricity. Feel it crackle about your fingers, speeding your dexterity, feel it's magnetism reflect away enemy attacks, feel it within your very veins as it sooths your ills and heals you, see it on your sensors as it tells you where the traps are, be empowered by it as you strike your enemies down with the most powerful weapon in the game.. Ahh, electricity.. *spreads fingers and allows you to see the blue sparks arc between them* is there any other discipline worthwhile?

oh, and you get xp for shooting people with a tesla rod/gun, or poking them with your shocking staff.

Regarding followers such as Virgil? Well, you don't need him, but he can sure help you at low levels. Having a fighting mage as a healer is a GOOD thing. Just make sure he has worthwhile armour and weapons and he'll be a VERY good freind to you.

Magnus? When is it a bad idea to have a strong-backed dwarf in your party? You can load him up with tons of stuff, and he can be your 'mule'. Armour and weapons again would be useful.

All followers are kleptomanics when it comes to junk lying around. If you don't want them to pick it up, put it in the rubbish bins, or in a chest somewhere. They won't pick it up then. Otherwise, if they do, Junk dealers are in most major cities, and pay you money for that sort of crud.

7. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Don't bad mouth Magnus. You haven't seen him fully trained yet. He is a very useful companion for any tech oriented party. Magnus eventually reaches ST21 I think, which makes him an excellent melee fighter. He learns 4 schematics on Smithy and Mechanical trees, which gives you some VERY useful stuff: balanced swords (a fine melee weapon in itself, can be used for making a charged sword), feather weight axes (also a good melee weapon, can be used for making a Pyro axe, which deals more damage in a blow than any other blade in the game) and eye gear (+2 PE, 800 coins when sold to the junk dealer, can be used to make Helmet of Vision).
    Other good followers: any half-ogres, any dwarves, Jayna the tech medic (she is a MUST HAVE, her drugs can give you temporary bonuses- +2 ST, +2DX, +2PE), Sebastian (a gunslinger who can also throw grenades), Waromon the lizard (give him the fastest bow you have and watch the bodies fall), Dante and Raven (good for magic oriented teams). I don't have much respect for Virgil because of his low ST, but when I play a mage, I usually keep him around for his storyline. Give him a Filament sword, I think it is the best blade he can wield.
    As for grenades- I prefer Stun ones, exept when fighting those nasty creatures who damage my weapons when I hit them.

He does. Pity he can't carry stuff. Some armor for him also wouldn't hurt.

Pyro bow rules, but to make it you need a Compound bow and a Fire Obstruction. You can steal a Compound bow from the Bow Guard Captain in Dernholm, buy it in Tarant on your first day there, or build it once you buy the schematics. There is also a ready Pyro bow in the game- in the least likely place for a tech weapon to be found.

Try asking around in Shrouded Hills after talking to the guy who owns the mine and the ghost of Bessie Toon, or do the first quest for the alchemist, and he will give you a quest to Dernholm. The city itself is south-east from Shrouded Hills and south from Black Root.

8. temoid.

temoid. New Member

I am back to playing a dwarf electrician again.. and i cant find the dredge (3k EXP away from the tesla rod ) :cry:
    there is the room with the son of the king, an area before the royal chambers, an area with an inn, blacksmith, herbalist, etc. and the mines infested by filthy spiders.. HELP?
    PS: i did not persuade the dwarfie to open the secret passage for me (charisma barely enough for 2 followers and no persuasion skill)

9. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

you cannot persuade the dwarfie to open the hidden passage... you get that opened from a quest... and if your at the hidden passage then your VERY close to the king, though I will not say exactly were, as that would make it too easy... :lol:

10. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

you cannot persuade the dwarfie to open the hidden passage... you get that opened from a quest... and if your at the hidden passage then your VERY close to the king, though I will not say exactly were, as that would make it too easy... :lol:

11. temoid.

temoid. New Member

so where is the damned dredge? my shiny new tesla coil wants something to burn..
    Also.. i have the chematics i found on the isle of despair (mythryl and ancient gun chassis). Is it worth to start upping gunsmithy now for tesla rfle and that boogie?

12. Corsarius

Corsarius New Member

come out of the king's chamber, first turn to the right side of your screen. you see a dwarf in full plate guarding a passage down. Go talk to him.

13. Solaris

Solaris New Member

No. Simply buy Gansmithy manuals at the Tarant University. 750 gold each, but you save your precious CPs.
    Bronwyck's gun (the one you found on the Isle of Despair) is pretty good, but not better than a Tesla Rod IMHO. It is a good weapon to give your gun toting followers, as it has low MSR.
    Did you notice that the Tesla Rod is a GUN? It requires Firearm skill to improve your performance with it.
    Tesla gun does the highest damage of all guns in the game, but its slow and consumes 4 charges per shot. I play a "high tech" party right now, and I gave Tesla rods to Sebastian and Vollinger. But I'm not sure if I'll be making myself a Tesla gun- I only have about 3000 charges, and me using a Tesla gun will soon leave my followers low on ammo.

14. temoid.

temoid. New Member

fate points.. should i save them for the "end of the game boss"?

15. Dark Elf

Media:
    If you wish, though I'd only keep one of them for the "Full Heal Now" power. I'd rather burn the rest of them on stealing some nice equipment and so. The point of using Fate Points is that you can perform actions you otherwise couldn't, like in my case, stealing a suit of machined platemail to give my elven warrior (who, by the way, is a master in firearms :D )

16. Corsarius

Corsarius New Member

While I adore the Tesla Gun, for simple and utter killpower, I do feel that for efficiency the Tesla Rod is a better weapon overall.

I mean, with both you have to use two hands, but one uses only 1 charge, and the other uses 6. That's a BIG difference for less than 6 times the power.

Still, next time I run through with an Electrician (which shouldn't be too long!) I might just run it with only my Tesla Rod, Healing Jacket, Flow Disruptor, Charged Rings, and Charged Sword (or get the charged axe off Sebastian). Basically, see if I can get through with just ready-made (found) or self-made electrical items, and not build anything from learned schematics.

I'm sure it's possible. Name me another discipline where that is remotely possible.

17. Wolf

Wolf New Member

18. Corsarius

Corsarius New Member

Agreed. Another 'Must have', at least a couple of levels in it.

Of course, the Healing Jacket takes care of a lot of problems, but herbology gives you a nice 'instant fix'.

My point was that Electrical discipline provides you with all requirements, more or less.

Body augmentation: Charged Rings
    Armour: Healing Jacket, Chapeau of magnetic inversion
    Melee weapons: Cattle prod
    Ranged weapons: Tesla rod
    Healing damage: Healing jacket

in other words, a full wardrobe of weapons, armour, and healing.

19. Solaris

Solaris New Member

No. No, no no no no. Use the fate points to steal the best equipment you can find on people you meet for you and for your followers.

By using fate points you can steal:
    Machined armor suits (one medium, one small)
    A Small elite plate
    2 large Plate armor (which you won't find anywhere else)
    A Looking Glass Rifle
    A Long Range Pistol
    Full Arcane set of weapons and armor (swords, daggers, a bow, a shield,a helmet, medium and small robes)
    A Pyrotechnic bow
    The best tech shield (Tempered shield, armor class 30, DR+10, better than the Flow Disruptor and its useless MR bonus, because you almost never get attacked with magic)
    The best magic shield (Screaming shield, armor class 40, DR+10)
    The Sword of Baltar- one of the best magic swords around.

And there's more if you look around carefully. It is better to come to the final battle fully geared up than use your fate points to make a few critical hits.

I'm not so sure. First, Tesla gun used 4 charges per shot I think. Second, a Tesla rod does twice less damage (10-40 vs. 10-80 I believe), while having less then twice the speed (6AP per shot for the Tesla gun, 5 AP for the Tesla Rod). So, in terms of combat effectiveness, Tesla Gun is still better. However, the Tesla rod has two major advantages- it saves the ammo, and it has low MSR- a perfect weapon for gunslinger followers, except for Franklyn Payne.

Healing Jacket sucks. It consumes charges all the time as far as I could see, regardless to whether or not you are wounded. Too expensive to maintain, too weak an armor for combat.

20. temoid.

temoid. New Member

i bought a smithy manual in tarant uni.. my int is 18.. The manual is a book, but when i drag it onto the "hand" button, i cannot use it.. How do i use the manual?

Our Host!