Adding items

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Packersfan30_3, Jul 20, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Packersfan30_3

Packersfan30_3 New Member

Well, I forgot to keep an extra lava rock to give the second offering to Albeirch. I completely searched the Wheel and Black Mountain clan mines, but no luck. I've given up, as I don't think there are any other dwarven chests, so I was wondering how I could implant a lava rock somewhere in the world? Maybe make some random chest (or just the item) anywhere in the world with the rock.

Does anyone know how to do this, if at all possible?

2. Packersfan30_3

Please, can someone help me?

I unzipped the UnDat from TA to my Modules/Arcanum folder, but all I get is into the Mainmap file and than it just a bunch of terrain, no cities or anything. I'm not sure what to do.

3. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

The_Bob's hectic guide to putting items in the game

Now before I get over my ears in bullshit, I must state that I hardly remember any details about what I'm about to describe...

One easy way of getting some item to appear in the game, is through the invensource.mes file. I'm not sure but I think changes made to it should take effect without starting a new game - at least some changes.

IIRC, it's in one of the .dat files in the in the main arcanum directory, the third one maybe. There's a rules direcrory there so you should eventually find it.

There's also some file that has the item descriptions that display in the game, it's named adequatly, so you'll come across it as well, eventually.

Now, you'll need to find the item number of lava rock in that file, then add it to the invensource.mes file. If you can't find it there, try opening the editor and finding the lava rock item in some list, maybe there will be a field that will show the item number.

How to add an item in the invensource.mes file ? just open the fie in some editor (notepad will do) and stare at it until you get a rough idea of its structure. Basically, there should be some lists of item numbers and probablilties of them occuring in the said place. So find a good place, like a junk dealer, and add that with 100 chance of it appearing. Look here for some info on using .mes files.

If you won't find the number for the lava-rock, you can copy the tech chest lists onto the end of wherever you want the items to appear, change the chances to 100 and you should get... something.

Or try using a character editor. Also, there may be some lava rocks in the bangellan depths and other dungeons.

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Bob, you're going to have that poor guy barking at the moon!

Let's see if I can help....
    I'm assuming you're playing the stock game.

If you want to add the lava rock to an inventory, use the DATbuilder on the Arcanum3.dat. Just to make things easy, unpack the DAT to a folder somewhere.

Look for the invensource.mes file in the rules folder. Open the invensource with notepad or its equal.

Bob mentioned adding the lava rock to the junk dealer inventory, so we'll stick with that. The junk dealer's inventory is number six on the list, so go to the end of that listing.
    Inside the } bracket at the end add 100, 15184 - this'll add the lava rock.

Save the file to Sierra/Arcanum/data/Rules (You may have to make the folder.)

Now go to the Sierra/Arcanum/modules/Arcanum/maps folder. Inside is 85 to 100 oddly-named files with no extention. Delete all of those. Don't worry, it's safe.

Start the game and try it. You may have to sleep overnight to get the new inventory item to appear, but that's minor.

Let me know if you'd rather physically place a new rock using WorldEd.

5. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Acually, I was hoping someone would get that impression and do exactly what you did... Otherwise, just imagine what a lerning expirience that would've been, to try and follow my instructions :p

6. Packersfan30_3

Thanks, that worked perfect. Now that I know the basic layout, I might go in and mess around with what the shopowners have/how often they have it. I don't need to use WorldEd, thanks a ton for the help!

You helped too, gave me a basic knowledge of the .Dats. The point is you took the time to write an explanation, so I am very grateful. Thank you!

Our Host!