A New Vacuum Question.

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by rroyo, Oct 26, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I'm looking for a way to cancel any and all verbal or written "I need healing!" comments by the followers while they are in the vacuum. After all, in a vacuum you shouldn't be able to hear anything besides the blood pounding in your head. Given the sheer number of potential followers in the regular game, trying to modify each and every script is risky at best.

Any ideas?

2. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

The only thing I can think of is giving them a dialogue override file with all the dialogue fields left blank.
    This would require swapping out the script for each follower. This is pretty easy. Just have a tile script that when they walk over it it runs this:

change script attached to (obj) at point (num) to script (num)

However restoring the original dialogue overrides when they leave the vacuum is more difficult. Same tile script set up but it would need to check each follower and attach the appropriate script. It's not too difficult, just very long.

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

It sounds like I have a lot of studying to do......

This vacuum idea is right on the verge of becoming too complicated.

4. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

The best advice I could give to a modder (other than RTFM*) is don't get hung up on the small details.
    When I was just starting out I spent 3 days trying to figure out how to get a ghost to vanish on queue. I made up some over-complicated multi-script crap to do it. I now of course know of several different ways to accomplish it very easily.
    So basically do what you can now. The rest will either sort itself out in the end or you'll forget about it and stop obsessing about such minor details.

* Like RTFQ but with Manual instead of Question.

5. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

That sounds like very good advice. Thanks again.

Our Host!