The biology of Dark Elves

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Muro, Jun 5, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. psb6w7

psb6w7 New Member

I took "the binding force between atoms" to mean chemical bonds. I guess I'm making this way to technological. Maybe the magic makes molecular physics all wonky, just like it does to steam engines.

2. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

But why would that necessarily imply that it can create chemical bonds selectively?

3. psb6w7

psb6w7 New Member

Well my original justification was based on the thought that the spell simply overcame the energy stored as the bond, so that would leave the remaining atoms prone to activity. I was supposing that if you have the capacity to separate them and "disperse" them in such a way that they didn't reassemble into anything at all then is also likely you could arrange them as you saw fit, and then allow the assemblage to take place when you stop casting. Learning every compound in the human body by heart would be possible even in a human life span, although it is a daunting and dull prospect.
    Frankly it was a notion I did not immediately think through.

Upon retrospection "eliminates the binding force between atoms" to me sounds like a complete manipulation of the way matter works, or a complete misunderstanding of the was matter works by the author.

4. wayne-scales

I wouldn't have imagined that 'dispersing' atoms is necessarily a process which needs to be completely ordered. I would conjecture that it's just something like a surge of energy.

5. psb6w7

psb6w7 New Member

A surge of energy might break some bonds but that would almost certainly create many others, especially once the energy was dissipated. I also have difficulty imagining a surge of energy large enough to completely undo that local matter while not also blasting the surrounding area. I would be content to leave it as magic doesn't know or care about how nature operates.

6. wayne-scales

That's why it's magick.

Our Host!