So, Nocturne is a woman?

Discussion in 'CyberNations Archive' started by DarkUnderlord, Nov 18, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I understand the advantages but I don't want to have to go through another forum move.

Unless someone can definitely tell me a way to have anyone going to the current forum redirected to a new one. Because as it stands Xz thinks it MIGHT be possible and I'm not moving again based on a maybe.

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Besides, phpBB3 will come soon, well, maybe not soon, but it will come, and it will have sub forums.

3. Xz

Double post*

It can be done. I just tested it, a redirect can be implanted from the Administrators panel, by changing the CSS.

*There is no quick edit.

4. Vorak

Well if we did do it, It'd probably be best to set the site up in advance and then announce to everyone 2 or 3 days before the move that we were changing forums.

But can we get a free forum and if so how good will it be? Because for something that doesn't cost us a cent what we have now is pretty good.

If not I'm going to get around to setting up a Paypal account soon so I guess I could toss some money in. But I'd rather spend my cash donating to CN than starting a forum.

5. Xz

I've been looking for good free solutions, and I've sent a few emails. So we'll see.

6. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Invision has its problems, but then its free. The last move was terrible, and there was tons of stuff that was lost forever. I personally dont want to have to move every seemingly important thread over again, plus connect all the vested links within the posts. Not to mention we lost half of our ambassador last time, and people now claim we're dead.

If there was a way to transfer everything, including everyone's replies to topics, etc, I'd consider it. Other than that, the cost of familiarity just isn't worth it.

7. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I think the point behind moving again is that it's the last time you lose anything. From then on, you have full control over your data so if you move again, you can take everything with you and set everything up exactly the same. If you have a domain name, it'll also mean people won't lose the forums. They hit grey-council.net and no matter how many times you might move servers (which you wouldn't), they'd find you. Short term pain for long term gain and the sooner it's done, the less of a pain it will be.

If you want hosting, talk to Taluntain for the same server TA is sitting on. You'll get that for free but it'll come with ads (like what you've got now). The advantage is it'd be an entire website you'd have complete control over. You could setup pages etc... rather than living in a forum. If you don't want ads, you can get what you need for about $5 USD a month.

As for free forums, they're a dime a dozen. phpBB is the most popular but everyone on CN is more familiar with Invision. Setting Invision up on another website though costs money. You have to pay $160 USD for a licence. There are phpBB mods and installation options which will give you the same setup as Invision though without costing you anything.

If you want to contact Taluntain, his e-mail is [snip]

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  8. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

I recommend phpBB. (And if you ask me, the newest 3 beta, it'll simpler to upgrade. Of course, only if the beta is already usable.)

There are some free Invision versions, but they are far from safe.

And the only acceptable alternatives are vBulletin (which isn't free either) and MyBB.

(Altough I heard about SMF and XenoBB I don't know anything about them.

9. Vorak

LUE use vBulletin and I've truly learnt to hate it. Unless you go into each subforum and click on the 'Mark as Read' button then everytime you log in any post in any subforum you haven't actually looked at shows as unread until you read it.

10. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I'd stay away from any phpBB beta. They're likely to change something completely before it's released and given phpBB 3 has been in development for something like 500 years now, who knows when that will be.

I've been intrigued by SMF for a while now actually. Been meaning to try it out. Apparently it's a lot easier to install mods than phpBB is and it comes with most of what you want included by default, so you don't have to spend the first week modding your forum up to buggery.

11. Vorak

Straight from Electron Sponge, Emperor of the NpO:

12. Xz

Not to mention that from phpBB3 beta2 to beta3, they decided to implement UTF-8. The betas are far from a safe bet.

@Max, it's possible. Even without a backup of the database, it'd take a lot of work, but it's possible.

Our Host!