Levels.

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by tes_chrisse, Jan 17, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. tes_chrisse

tes_chrisse New Member

LV

The levels should be infinite and the higer level you are the better enemys you will battle
    exampel if you are level one you will met a rat if you are level 100 you will se a huge dragon ore something powerful like that.

Sorry for bad spelling :/

shit now i saw that the topic was 2 years old :/

2. mathboy

mathboy New Member

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

But the up to level 127 mod is quite good actually , use it.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I'm against your proposal for the following reasons:

1. Infinite levels is what takes the "role" out of roleplaying. If there are no limits on what your character can do, characters will lose their individuality and become bland clones of each other, void of any uniqueness. Where's the replay value if every character winds up the same, a master of every skill and ability? Limitations add flavour - you'll have to actually think carefully about how you want to advance your character instead of mindlessly sinking points in everything until you reach the stat cap and move on to the next skill.

2. Scaling is even worse. Whilst realism might be the wrong word to use when discussing a high fantasy setting, believability is very important. It only serves to hurt the feel and atmosphere of the setting if monsters aren't coherent with their location. A den of monsters plauging a countryside village should have a population comprised of kites and other low-level vermin. A legion of dragons and demon overlords is just dumb. Having critters level up as you do is also a bad move because then, what incentive is there to advance? Any sort of scaling system also typically means every character has to keep advancing their combat skills and refrain from investing in anything else, lest they'll be toast in combat. This, too, hurts roleplaying, and is thus not fitting for a game like Arcanum. Case closed.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes , remember , it's in the 1880's ,not Lord of The Rings.

6. mathboy

mathboy New Member

I believe that NPCs should level up, slowly, but still level up. Why wouldn't a dragon get better when it kills an adventurer if you get better doing the same thing? Of course it shouldn't be as fast as the character (unless the character sleeps way too much).

I also don't think level-caps are a good way to force you to role-play. Instead, make the levels infinite and limit the amount of monsters available Like in the older thread, it's just stupid to have a level cap of 10 in ToEE for example, because a party of one will reach it quickly and then just stay there while a party o five will reach it about the time they reach the final encounter and that makes them too much stronger than the single guy.

7. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Exactly, max level must be chosen so that the replayability value is maximized.

(On a side note, I like to play a god in rpg games :p But of course only after I've played them through)

Scaling is in most cases are simply dumb. I mean, you can't kill a freaking rat with hi-tech weapons??? That's absurd!

But, in some cases, it can be a useful thing, e.g. if I remember correctly, in Fallout the bounty hunters were (more or less) scaled.

8. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I still say no. Again, characters who develop in other areas than pure combat will be at a serious disadvantage. Also, low-fatigue characters, or people who move around a lot, will be unfairly punished.

The way D&D 3.5 works, a single-character party under such conditions would end up ultra-powerful. One 10th level fighter can cut through 10 level 1 ditto's without any trouble. Moreover, D&D is designed around parties, it's not really meant for soloing.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is the level cap 10 in ToEE? Didn't know , and yes , level caps are good in a way , look let's say that you are level 50 and really want to know that last spell in the Morph college....I have two very simple solutions, solution one: Use the up to level 127 mod, or solution two: Start a new game. Simple , ain't it?

10. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Why shouldn't a character who develop in other areas be punished in combat?

The dragon will level pretty slowly, adventurers doesn't come visit it very often after all. While other enemies might become better at stuff outside combat.

But 5 level 10 characters would cut through the single one without any trouble even when the single character has killed 5 times as many monsters as the fighter of the 5 character party. I think that's wrong.

That you shouldn't be able to level indefinitely is something I feel is pretty obvious, but to enforce it with an artificial level cap is not a good solution.

believability. What is more believable? That your level 50 character can't learn the last spell of the Morph college because he just can't stuff those spell casting moves into the head that was extremely willing to accept them before he did those last push-ups. Or: That there is no place left to practice new spells, but if he'd find a way to practice them, he could easily learn them?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

But , maybe there is a mod that removes the level cap that in Arcanum?

12. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Yep! Download section, first item on the list.

And it is modifiable - in case 127 levels isn't enough.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah , I know , I leveled up from 50 to 100 in a matter of seconds , quite nice eh'?

14. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

HOW??? Reset the points to 1 per level?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No , I found a very easy way , look , let's say that you are level 15 and have reset the xp values back to its normal value. Like you had earlier sert the xp value to level 15 to lets say 1500xp , but at level 16 it is normal again. When you level up to level 16 it says that jou must have like 285468xp points to the next level, save and quit the game and at level 16 in xp_mes-file it lokks like the normal value , then you delete the old value and instead simply write e.g 1600.Start the game again and now it says that you need like -346468xp to level up. Kill a kite shaman or a wolf or something and bingo...level 50 or something.!

16. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

18. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Never tried it. Call me old-fashioned, but I'm content to leave the leveling-up as is.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Killing the Gorgoth on Thanatos gives plenty of xp. Like a small cheat.

20. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Gorgoth's not on Thanatos, he's in the void. I should know, I'm using his face as my avatar.

Our Host!