Any projects still alive?

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by rist9, Feb 26, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rist9

rist9 New Member

I just found this forum and I began wondering if all the projects that were discussed here have died down or are some still being worked on.

I began thinking back on arcanum recently as I just saw a cover of the Arcanum soundtrack theme. That game me an idea to cover it myself. Still at it. I just wan't to let this communuty, if it still is alive, that I could pitch in on the soundtrack department. I'll post links of my work if any interest arisises. I could pitch in on the story development aswell, and in order to do the soundtrack, I would need to know the story and it essentially would have to be inspiring. But anyway, I'm hoping there still is life here, and I'll keep messing around with sounds for the soundtrack cos I have a few ideas for a story of my own that is inspireing enough atm...

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    This place is still alive; projects intermittently so.

3. rist9

rist9 New Member

Alright, so here is a little something I have almost finished. I prolly will edit a few things in there, but heck, its good enough.

So here is the Arcanum theme cover I did: http://soundcloud.com/risto-bik/arcanum

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

More cyberpunk than Victorian, that.

5. rist9

rist9 New Member

Ya, I know. My vision for a sequel essentially was pushed forward in time a whole lot. Which was why this kind of feel for the cover. Its essentially what my style in music is.... Well, almost... This is more of a cover than an attempt to make a soundtrack for the sequel. If I were to involve my creativity to a speciphic storyline then I'm sure the result would have been different.

Oh, and I have made some small adjustments to the song. The link is the same tho.

6. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Hmmm...Arcanum 200 years in the future (of the PC's starting date)? Almost like Fallout with magick (probably with 4 or 3 spells in each college, or entirely missing colleges) and with post-space age gadgetry.

Dwarves had the tech to send people into space years ago, but saw no point in being in orbit if they needed machines to get there.

7. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Or Shadowrun.
    ...could just get the experts of the Mental magic discipline in Quintarra to insert images of a lunar landing in the minds of the people of Arcanum.

8. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

+1

9. rist9

rist9 New Member

Wasn't arcanum set in the years 1880?? If you push 200 years further from there, then its already the future from now. The beginning time of the PC was about 100 years from arcanum. And my mind went to about the years between the world wars. When electric circuts were evolving enough for analog synths. The electric guitar in fact is a pretty old invention.

Oki wild strain of thought... What would happen in a climate between the 2 WW-s with magic. I wonder if any games have really explored that possibility.
    I wonder if a hitler like figure could begin opressing the magicians like hitler did the jews, what would happen. Magicians of Arcanum being threathened by a large force, a strong nation. A strong industrial nation.
    Pretty awesome game could be the result... I dunno.... I'm shooting wild here...^^

10. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Love how lolwutty that sentence is when taken out of context.

11. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

The premise of Arcanum's tech is that of impossible steampunk gadgets as well as more mundane things made from plants and chemicals that we could make in this reality.

I shot the time 200 years later (to 2080) simply because that's around the start date of Fallout, and if the steampunk tech worked so well in the 1880's and magick was waning then, how much further would it advance in 200 years? They'd already have things too far ahead of us with 1980's era tech in their universe, so why not push it way ahead? 32 years into the past and they'd already be doing technological feats that blow ours out of the water simply because they'd been making steam powered robots that could effectively and fluidly fight for 100 years.

Well...ok. Maybe 1980 is pretty cool.

12. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

You could just say that the tech 200 years into the future started a nuclear war, which wiped the world clean of most tech and allowed magick to bloom and restore the natural world. It wouldn't have to be like Fallout if you didn't want it to be, maybe the world of Arcanum stayed in the 18 hundreds' mindset like Fallout retained the 1950s' and so the setting and tone still pretty much resembles that of the first game - but you know with more dwarves rocking electric guitars.

13. rist9

rist9 New Member

I began wondering, are there even any good and well laid out projects or storylines here? Well, essentially, I'm more wondering about the storylines. They are what is the basis of everything.
    I am essentially new to these forums, although I have browsed a few of the topics whose subject was promising enough.
    So are there any real workable storylines been proposed??

14. TheDavisChanger

What's your angle? Are you a writer? A coder? A musician?

15. rist9

rist9 New Member

Musician. I posted a link of the arcanum main theme cover I did, a few posts earlyer.
    Otherwise I'm sure if need be then I could pitch in the writing process. Not sure tho. I can create a fictional world in my head. But doesn't every1? ^^
    And I have no clue how to code, as seems to be the main issue here. But I'm sure if the other aspects are solid, if we get a good storyline set up, if we achieve attention we could get supporters to get coders either hiered or something.
    Anyway, my contribution in this would most likely be on the creative side.
    Music, story, concept drawings. Those could be my areas, music definately would be the focus.

16. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Hehe.

17. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

No way that thread was nearly three years ago.

18. TheDavisChanger

19. rist9

rist9 New Member

Whatkind of thread? Somekind of wild newcomer type of thread?? Or what??

And that hitlervid was fun...^^

20. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Our Host!