Who'd win?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Mar 6, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    [​IMG]

Paul Sr all the way.

Now, you might argue that you've never seen Paul Sr in an actual fight and that you have, indeed, seen Hulk Hogan fight a helluvalot of times. That's where you fail. Pro Wrestling is a choreographed charade and in every way comparable to trivial nonsense such as ballet. Meaning you haven't seen Hulk Hogan fight either. And when Hogan spent his time tearing yellow t-shirts apart and posing in front of the camera covered in baby oil, Senior built a fucking ironworks out of nothing with his bare hands. Besides, working class dudes always beat Hollywood whores, well-known fact.
    Also, the above arguments notwithstanding, Senior could scare the shit out of Hogan with sheer bad temper.

My vote has been cast.

EDIT: Accidentally called Hulk Hogan Paul Hogan. Lots of bad karma coming my way.

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Looks like Sr. lost some weight since the last time I saw the show. Yeah, I think he'd win...Really, you can only do so much with a folded chair. An engine block or a bike fork? Ha ha ha...

3. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Even choreographed, Hogan fake wrestled like crap. He had 4 whopping moves. Punch, scoop slam, big boot, and leg drop. A fucking leg drop was his finisher. C'mon!

I give this one to Sr.

Now Hogan's daughter on the other hand......12 kinds of hotness.

4. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

as stated here.

Conclusion, Sr would win.

5. Dark Elf

Media:
    It's a bit like Aikidoka claiming they can somehow magically throw people ten times bigger than themselves using only their "Chi".

Not to diss Aikido, I'm sure it has it's applications. I just happen to have a friend who claims he could beat boxers with it. Yeah, good luck trading punches when you don't know how to throw a punch at all, and good luck grabbing his wrist while he throws a punch that will break your cheekbone. Almost makes me want to pick up boxing and gve him a knockout.

6. wobbler

You shouldn't mistrust that much. ofcourse you would be able to beat a boxer using aikido.

When saying "good luck trading punches when you don't know how to throw a punch", you seem to forget that aikido is not about punching the other opponent or taking punches. It is about NOT taking punches.

I you throw a punch on me, I would, rather than taking the punch, slide to the side, gripping you stretched out arm with my hand, moving you into a position where I could easily break your wrist if you tried anything.

Ofcourse, as with any other martial art, it's all about the combants skills. A beginner in aikido has ofcourse no chance vs a skilled boxer, and if a skilled aikdo fighter is not fast enough, a skilled boxer could probaly beat him. But aikido is nothing you learn over a night, it takes time, and it takes training.

Now, about your friend I can't say wether he can beat a boxer or not, that depends on the boxer I would say.

Oh, and if you pick up boxin, don't forget to buy roses and say "gutter trash" to your oppents when they loose:)

7. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

You'd be surprised DE. The way Aikido works is two-fold; first of all, many boxers are only familiar with how to fight in a boxing match. Martial arts fighters move in entirely different ways, and Aikido puts great emphasis on evading blows, so the boxer would have a harder time hitting him than another boxer.

Also, it's a fallacy that Aikido and other styles like it grab wrists; that's in certain moves. He throw a bunch, you sidestep diagonally towards him, but away from the path of the punch, then, while his arm is extended, you grab it. Then, while holding on, you turn your body by stepping with your back leg, this will cause the weight of your body to effectively shove him in the direction of his punch, where his momentum is already going. You can easily throw anyone, even an experienced boxer, off-balance with a move like that. Then, you hit him and retreat.

That said, your friend might still get his ass kicked, boxing is not a slouch's sport. But Aikido and techniques like it don't claim to throw people with their Chi, it's momentum and using it against larger opponents. Chi is like personal energy, it's almost a mental trick how it works. You imagine your energy heightening and it naturally raises your testosterone levels, and all your muscles start bunching and unwinding. Then, when you punch, or kick, or throw an elbow, you imagine transfering your energy to the target. This might not actually happen, but you, almost subconsciously, throw a HELL of a lot more force behind the punch because you're imagining this strange force working with you.

8. dstanzler

dstanzler New Member

It would all depend on whether or not the fight went to the ground or remained standing.

Btw Why are we pitting them against each other? What's in it for me? If that answer is Brooke Hogan, then, I would say Paul Sr. I've seen both shows. Hulk's body is over-stressed, worn out, fat, unhealthy, etc. Paul Sr at least doesn't have horrible joint muscle problems even though Paul drinks and probably has taken his share of drugs. They moth move pretty slowly, striking would be hard and slow. Although, Hogan is probably better at grappling having wrestled. Hogan would probably win in terms of grappling, Paul wold probably win in terms of socking him in the face.

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    Whereas Aikidoka only know how to fight an attacker who stands dead still waiting for the rather complicated technique to be pulled off.

And I'm not buying that a boxer would have a harder time hitting aikidoka than another boxer. Boxers don't want to get hit either, that's why they dodge and block punches. Additionally, a boxer has had punches thrown at him before, he knows what to expect and how to counter it. And that's real punches, not the 9-year-old girl equivalent you'll find in your average aikido dojo. If some kind of irimi-tenkan would win championships I'm pretty sure boxers would be doing that.

Only works if the boxer is slower than a pregnant elephant and extends way too much. An experienced boxer would probably throw quick jabs at you until you went furious and opened yourself up for a whole barrage of pain.

I'm sure you're right about chi. I'm just fed up with this quasi-magical crap you get from certain aikidoka about how they can somehow alter the laws of physics after a few sessions of ukemi and basic wrist-grabbing techniques.

Note that all of this is coming from a guy with no boxing experience who has trained aikido.

10. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Then don't go furious. Aikido is a mighty style, but like all martial arts, you have to ACTUALLY buy the mentality. Aikido is about patience, you wait to strike until the opportune moment, so there is no opening yourself up until you already have the advantage.

Idk about the strength of aikido hits, I studied aiki-jujitsu, and I wasn't allowed to hit anyone with force after I almost broke my friend's rib (third class I think). Like any style, I think, on its one both aikido and jujitsu are weak in certain areas; that's why I like aiki-jujitsu, it's kind of a melding.

Oh, I forgot to weigh in. Hogan would lose. Unless he brought the python. (Hogan did have a snake right? I know Jake the Snake did, but I thought Hogan had a yellow one)

11. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

12. wobbler

As all techniques in any martial art, when you learn them, you usally use a slow pace in the beginning, but when you have masterd it, it will only take a few seconds to complete it. And remember, aikido is about not getting a punch in your face. And when you have your wrist twisted, there dosn't matter anymore how able you are taking punches. And if you have a broken hand, you wont hit anyone with it.

Again remeber it's about speed. If you are slower than you opponent, you will most certainly loose. That is sure for most fights, it's the faster one that wins. So in comparison, the boxer might move as slow as a pregnant elephant.

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    Look, the only way for this to be comparable is if the boxer and the aikidoka is roughly the same skill level. This is obviously quite difficult to measure given the vast differences between the styles, but I think I can confidently say that a boxer that's been going for a few years is able to throw some really fast punches. This is where aikido fails. First and foremost, aikido is a grappling art. It's designed around the idea that someone will grab you or try to take your sword. That's the core of the art and it does it pretty damn well. However, it lacks horribly against someone who've learned the footwork to keep the distance from you and who can throw jabs that you, essentially, can't do shit about. Your blocking technique is subpar, his knuckles will connect. And since aikido is a defensive art, you can't counter with any realistic attacks. Your only hope is that the boxer makes a mistake, and given the circumstances you are much more likely to be the one making that mistake.

This is the common argument against aikido you hear on martial arts forums. Used to think it was rubbish when I was 16 and wanted aikido to be l33t. Now I know better. If you haven't done any sparring or competing before, how the hell do you have any chance of knowing you'll stay calm in a real fight? Again, the boxer will have had a fair number of bouts in the ring under his belt. The aikidoka will only have had heavily formalized, almost choreographed stuff in the dojo, with no live sparring at all. Against the boxer he'd be likely to freeze or panick before the fight even began, and even if he didn't, there's simply no way he'd be able to stay calm after that first jab. It's so easy to say that. Don't go furious and you will be fine. Thing is, most people aren't zen masters with the patience to watch mountains erode. If someone dances around you throwing punches in your face, you're extremely likely to snap. Very few have the discipline to abstain from that. You'd either have to be stoned (in which case you're toast anyway) or have surgically removed your adrenal glands to accomplish that.

The boxer wins on KO.

14. GrimmHatter

???

No Hogan just always refered to his biceps as "The 24-inch pythons, bother!" And he sometimes wore big, flambouyant, feather boas to the ring. Maybe that's where you're getting your snake reference from.

15. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Alas, I was very young when I watched Hollywood Hulk fake slam people into mats.

DE, I really don't know enough about Aikido specifically to debate you any more, all I know is in Aiki-Jujitsu you learn how to not stand there like punching bag in a skirt.

16. Dark Elf

Media:
    Well, aiki-jujitsu is pretty much aikido's bigger, badder brother with a prison record. Aikido simply puts too little emphasis on striking. Problem with that is when no one knows how to strike properly and you always train with other aikidoka exclusively your defense against strikes will suffer as a result. Thus boxer pwnage.

And I'm sure traditional martial artists of all stripes know how to dodge blows. I just can't see how they'd be much better at that than a boxer whose entire style consists of trading punches. They aren't what you'd call walking punching bags either.

17. GrimmHatter

I'm no boxer, but from the bouts I've watched, boxers don't seem to put emphasis on dodging blows as much as they do twisting and moving their bodies to block or absorb blows by allowing said blows to hit a less...damageable....area on them. I would agree more with DE that they trade blows and are therefore more condition to throwing and recieving them as a result. I no nothing of aikido or aiki-jujitsu so I don't know what their training or experience in actual combat accomplishes towards their fighting prowess. I would assume they simply would not take as many blows dished out by the boxer, but would not handle any landed blows very well either.

18. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

This thread stands as a glorious testament to the ability of the members of this forum to derail a thread in not only the first page, but within the first 5 posts.

I have no idea who would win, but it'd probably be interesting as hell to watch.

19. GrimmHatter

Next Matchup

Who would win:

[​IMG] OR [​IMG]

It's the Tomb Raider against the Last Crusader. Both are charged in the recovery an ancient artifact buried in some old king's grave from a long dead civilzation that harnesses enough power to destroy mankind, blah blah blah, you know how these stories go. Consider each contestant's assets: exhaustive knowledge of dusty nick nacks that nobody gives a shit about, suspiciously convenient financial aid from "deceased" family members or mysteriously contrite third-part benefactors, ability to dropkick nazis and powerbomb muslim terrorists also pointlessly after artifacts in question, dexterity to swan dive 65 feet off of a stalagmite into a 10 foot deep pool of water and jagged rocks without breaking neck, and sleep with annoying, semi-attractive women incessantly whining about lack of relationship commitment.

After careful consideration, I give the edge to Indiana Jones. He may be older, but for what he lacks in youthful stamina he makes up for with an equal lack of 44 DD breasts that would throw any normal human being off balance too much before that first tile-triggered hidden buzz saw trap lops their head off. Plus Lara is just a bloody, British bitch.

20. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Jones has the kind of ingenuity to survive any trial, even a fight against Croft, who has the kind of gunslinging skills only found in Hollywood.

Plus, he carries a whip.

Our Host!