I am, once again, in need of some help (WorldMap)

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by yrome, Jul 27, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. yrome

yrome New Member

I have been trying to create a functioning world map, and it seems to be almost perfect- except when I test out traveling and let the waypoints terminate by themselves, my character ends up in the ocean on the far right edge of my map. Attempting to set a waypoint on the black abyss subsequently causes arcanum to freeze. If I use the waypoint toggle action before the path stops at its destination, I will stop in mid-path and remain in the correct location displayed on the worldmap as normal.

I believe the terrain map and the world map image are linked together properly since the barriers are acknowledged and the correct terrain types are shown corresponding to where I set the waypoints. It is only when the path has finished its execution by itself that the "error" occurs. If anyone can lend advice leading to the solution of this problem, I would be most grateful.

I also add an apology for my frequent collisions with brick walls- I am still very inexperienced in creating modules for arcanum.

2. team a

team a New Member

Wow, I didn't think anyone else was going to tackle this any time soon.

I've made a working world map from scratch. I know I'm not the first (I'm building on the foundation of Zammy's tutorial and comm_undat - have you looked them over?). However, there wasn't much support when I first made it possibly 6 months ago, as no one else was working on such a project. I had the exact same problem as you, and I've since had more problems that I've successfully resolved, some as recent as a few weeks ago. I'd be glad to help out a fellow modder.

I can't remember for sure how I fixed that problem, but I believe my problem was in one of the .mes files in the rules or worldmap folders. Here's an example of a few files in my first mod with a worldmap:

Rules/MapList.mes
    {5000}{MainMap, 24201, 22819, Type: START_MAP, WorldMap: 0}
    {5001}{ShopMap, 31, 29, Type: SHOPPING_MAP}

mes/gamearea.mes
    {0}{0, 0, 0, 0 /A Place Unimportant/This is the unknown area.}
    {1}{24291, 22860, -91, -1 /Nemorosa/A small mining town.}
    {2}{23208, 20848, -70, -1 /Barton/A prosperous town.}
    {3}{22293, 19926, -5, 0 /Port City/A large city.}

WorldMap/WorldMap.mes
    {20}{50, 50}
    {50}{1, 1, map, ZoomedName: Zoomed, MapKeyedTo: 1}

*Note that you should also check the other files in your worldmap folder. In this example, you will have 2 other files: map.bmp and Zoomed.bmp. Both will have the exact same dimensions in pixels as your world map has in sectors. Unlike most other art files for Arcanum, these can be up to 24-bit bitmaps if you like. If I were you, I'd export terrain bitmap in worlded, then just copy and paste the file it creates into your worlded folder twice and rename it.

*Note that for now, you should really be starting the game on the actual map that is your worldmap, like the arcanum mod does

If you're troubleshooting a world map, I'd also create a new mod from a blank slate, and work with each of the files you need until you eliminate your problem. I think this might also have helped me fix a few errors at first, because there can be problems with maplist.mes or gamearea.mes that have nothing to do with creating a world map.

I'd also make sure you have a world map that's the right size, and with enough ocean around it. Create a sample first, because you can't resize it later, and you'll have to rebuild all the locations on it if you decide that it isn't the size you want.

3. yrome

yrome New Member

My gamearea.mes file did not have any information in it other than the default unkown area line and I have found this to be what has caused the "error". After adding an area to the file and testing the world map everything worked perfectly; I believe that for the world map to be used it must have at least one known area- as this subtle change finally allowed my world map to function properly. I am almost ceartain that this is simply bug in the game's hardcoding. Thank you for your help, the suggestion to check the gamearea file prompted me to discover the root of my dilemma :)

It seems, however, that as soon as I find the solution to one problem another arises. I have been trying to create a town map for areas on the terrain map, but I haven't the slightest idea how to generate town maps in selective areas without generating a town map for the entire map- as this seems to be what the generate town map function does in WorldEd. Would you know how to do this? I cannot find anyway to do this using WorldEd, so your advice on this as well would be very helpful.

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Ok - in the Rules folder you need to have MapList.mes and TownMap.mes.

The first one, like it sounds, lists the various maps you have in your mod and the start location(s) of each. For example - This is from Vormantown:

// List of valid maps for game & Starting X/Y position
    {5000}{ShopMap, 31, 29, Type: SHOPPING_MAP}
    {5001}{Multiplayer-Map, 1916, 134, Type: START_MAP, WorldMap: 0}

Now the TownMap.mes is the one that'll let you select which areas you want to create a townmap for. Here's how it reads:

// TownMap Info
    //
    // The first entry must be left as (0)(<none>)
    //

{0}{<none>}
    {1}{VormanTown}
    {2}{Vorman Mansion Interior}
    {3}{Elf Island}

By making a listing, you are giving WorldEd the option of creating a townmap for the area(s) that you have designated.

Once you've made your entries and saved the Townmap.mes, go to WorldEd and open the map you want to use. Now go to the town or dungeon you want to make a townmap for. Switch to the top-down view and use the minus key on the numeric pad to zoom out.

In each sector you want to make the townmap for, right-click to bring up an options menu, then left-click on TownMap. This'll bring up a listing of all the places you've added to the TownMap.mes. Make your choice, then click OK. You'll notice the sector boundries have changed color. That's normal. Repeat these steps as many times as needed to contain everything you want that townmap to show.

Once you're finished marking the territory, return to the isometric view and save your changes. Then pick a spot inside the marked area, right-click for the options menu, and choose TownMap. Below the name you've chosen for this area is a button marked Generate Data. Click it. You'll get a pop-up warning about destroying existing data, but go ahead an click Yes. WorldEd will take it from there.

When the map-making is complete, exit WorldEd and check the results in-game.

This is fairly simple once you get the hang of it.

5. yrome

yrome New Member

I have followed your steps and successfully created the town map I had hoped for. I sincerely appreciate the help that I have been provided unconditionally and I believe that it is soley by the efforts of those on this forum that arcanum is kept alive (in a withered and crippled state though it may be). That must have taken tremendous effort for a game that has undeservingly recieved so little public attention. :thumbup:

There is still one more thing I am curious about, however. Is it possible to incorporate a town map into my module allowing visibility of the entire map without the darkness being manually filled by the player as in the towns or cities of the original arcanum module?

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Sure! Just add (space) [w] between the town name and } at the end of each line. This allows the entire map to be seen at once and the player can wait inside the area.

{3}{Shrouded Hills [w]}

7. team a

team a New Member

yrome - that might have been the problem I had, I can't remember now. You might run into a few more, and if you do, let me know. Also, I don't remember if I posted this yet, but make sure you start on your world map, because the game expects you to. If you want to start somewhere else, have the game put you on the main map at the same area as your other map, then immediately teleport to the place you wanted to start.

It's too bad [w] is the only option controlling that. It would be nice to set worldmap visibility but not change the wait, or not expose the whole map but allow sleeping, etc.

Anyway, enough rambling. Good luck.

Our Host!