Fixing Dialog of Simeon Tor, Geoffrey & Smythe

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by jfkoski, Sep 5, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

I'd downloaded the dlg zip file and was having fun looking through the dialog options of certain characters. That way I could figure out how to win Min Gorad's favor.

A week later I downloaded the Late-Game Nasrudin dialog fix and was overjoyed to hear him talk some more! I couldn't believe how easy it was to change his dialog: just create a dlg directory and put the new file there! Nasrudin's dialog was rather complicated - when I first played I tried to map it out to make sure I got everything: the stories of the banished, the Bogaroth's mm, the bridge mm, and of course "get the Vendigroth device." I'd learned that both Raven and Virgil had something to say to him. It was still convoluted and roundabout after the fix, and you get only one chance to mention the Ashlag tribe. I worked on it to my own satisfaction. I think talking to him sets some global flags, but I'm not yet sure what they do.

I'd hoped that this site or somewhere would have a list of the glitches and recommended fixes for .dlg files and others, but I don't see them.

Before this, I'd visited Tulla with different followers than previously and Simeon Tor had a "senior moment," thinking Perriman Smythe was with me. Now that I could see .dlg files, it turns out the code misidentified Geoffrey as Smythe! Not only that, but there are three possible vocal responses if you have. Geoffrey's reaction to Simeon is priceless! This is the fix:

{371}{Enough of your empty platitudes. Good day, sir.}{}{5}{pa6577, pa6591}{390}{}
    {372}{Enough of your empty platitudes. Good day, sir.}{}{5}{pa-6577, pa6591}{}{fl 400}
    {373}{Enough of your empty platitudes. Good day, sir.}{}{5}{pa6577, pa-6591}{410}{}
    {374}{Enough of your empty platitudes. Good day, sir.}{}{5}{pa-6577, pa-6591}{0}{}
    {375}{Good day, then.}{}{5}{pa6577, pa6591}{390}{}
    {376}{Good day, then.}{}{5}{pa-6577, pa6591}{0}{fl 400}
    {377}{Good day, then.}{}{5}{pa6577, pa-6591}{410}{}
    {378}{Good day, then.}{}{5}{pa-6577, pa-6591}{0}{}

Lines in order:
    BOTH OF THEM,
    SMYTHE NOT GEOFFREY,
    GEOFFREY NOT SMYTHE and
    NEITHER.

Unfortunately, to test it properly I had to get both followers, and when I went for Smythe while I had Geoffrey the game crashed! Smythe doesn't like Geoffrey so the code should be like Raven with Z'an A'lurin. That is if either is asked to join, the script jumps to Smythe's dialog. Once he's satisfied with your charisma, he either should join or the script jumps back to ask Geoffrey to join. The problem is in both the scripting and the dialog files. I found 3 stages of solutions as my experience with dialog and scripting increased.

SIMPLE (NO SCRIPTING):
    01646Perriman2.dlg (Smythe)
    SAVE A BACKUP FOR INTERMEDIATE/ADVANCED

{319}{Perriman, I'm sure that you can make an exception for me...}{}{1}{ch 20}{326}{}
    {320}{Perriman! Geoffrey has been a loyal...well, er...friend...}{}{1}{lf5 0}{328}{lf5 1}

{325}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}
    {326}{[Perriman seems torn, but nods.] Yes...I suppose you're right. But let it be known that I said this was a bad idea! Tarrelond-Ashe is friend to no one!}{[Perriman seems torn, but nods.] Yes...I suppose you're right. But let it be known that I said this was a bad idea! Tarrelond-Ashe is friend to no one!}{}{37}{0}{jo 0 335}

{330}{But Perriman...}{}{5}{}{0}{}
    {331}{Uh...Perry...}{}{-4}{}{0}{}

Swap 319 with 320 (I like the smartest choice on top) and remove "lf5 1" from the charisma line, now 319. In lines 330/331 the "-15" caused the program to crash so use "0". The Script was bad. Add to the end of line 326 (or 327) "{0} {jo 0 335}". It's still not fixed because while it now allows for Perriman to join when you have Geoffrey, it doesn't the other way round. But it's now possible to have them both together!

2. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

Intermediate Fix

INTERMEDIATE: Some Scripting
    There's a bad "go to dialog" line in Geoffrey's script. I used the script monkey to delete and replace the action line "dialog 297" which went to a PC line not the NPC's causing a crash. Then I saved it in the data/scr folder.

01358Geoffrey_Tarellond-Ashe.scr

32. dialog299

The result I think was that you could then go through the "friend" dialog option before doing the charisma test line. So you'd use the unmodified file you backed up. But you'd still only get Smythe to join with Geoffrey not vice versa.

3. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

Advanced Follower Fix

ADVANCED: Fix two ".scr" and two ".dlg" files so Geoffrey can join with Smythe (Charisma = 20).

Smythe and Geoffrey weren't set up as Raven was with Z'an Alurin so I had to fix both scripts to make it jump. This was a bit more complicated than changing a line number or cutting and pasting dialog. Then I had to add dialog for Geoffrey joining and find an appropriate vocal response (I was tired of the annoyed one).

01646Perriman2.dlg

{319}{Perriman! Geoffrey has been a loyal...well, er...friend...}{}{1}{lf5 0}{329}{lf5 1}
    {320}{Perriman, I'm sure that you can make an exception for me...}{}{1}{lf5 1, ch 20}{326}{}

{327}{So you'll join me again?}{}{1}{pa -6591}{0}{jo 0 335}
    {328}{Geoffrey...}{}{1}{pa 6591}{-33}{ }
    {329}{Yes, I'm sure he's convinced you that he's a right proper fellow. But the fact of the matter is that he's nothing but evil...a black necromancer through and through. That, and he hadn't the backbone to finish his studies in Tulla. Unforgivable, in my book. No, I'm afraid that you're just going to have to choose between us...}{Yes, I'm sure he's convinced you that he's a right proper fellow. But the fact of the matter is that he's nothing but evil...a black necromancer through and through. That, and he hadn't the backbone to finish his studies in Tulla. Unforgivable, in my book. No, I'm afraid that you're just going to have to choose between us...}{}{38}{}{}
    {330}{But Perriman...}{}{5}{}{-15}{}
    {331}{Uh...Perry...}{}{-4}{}{-15}{}

Note: some line numbers have changed to allow the response "Geoffrey..." to fit. It's like the response "now Z'an" to jump to his code so he'll join you. Others not listed are O.K.

01358Geoffrey_Tarellond-Ashe.dlg

{230}{Yes? What is it?}{Yes? What is it?}{}{19}{}{}
    {231}{Will you join me?}{}{1}{}{0}{jo 0 107}
    {232}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

This dialog above will be called by his code (below). He'll speak line 107 instead of what he normally says when he stops waiting.

01358Geoffrey_Tarellond-Ashe.scr

32. dialog299

55. dialog230
    56. return and SKIP default

These lines above are easy with ScriptMonkey. Note: include fix for bad line 32 which was "dialog 297." Line 55 will be called from Perriman's new code (below).

01646Perriman2.scr

33. loop for Everyone in Vicinity
    34. IF Current Looped Object is named 6577
    ........THEN Local 0=1
    35. IF Current Looped Object is named 6577
    ........THEN call script attached to Current Looped Object at point 9 at line 55 with triggerer Player
    ........ELSE goto line 36
    36. loop end
    37. IF Local0=0
    ........THEN goto line 5
    38. return and SKIP default

This was a bit harder to do with Script Monkey since you can't cut and paste (leave out the .....dots - there for you to see). It took me awhile to figure out how the menus would give me the result above, even though it's almost a copy from earlier code in the script. I think figuring out to use the option "num=num" for "Local 0 = " took forever.

Anyway, the two .dlg files are put in the directory "data/dlg" while the scripts are saved in "data/scr" which you'll have to create if you haven't downloaded other fixes like Maxim's rifle fix. And now if you have charisma 20 you can get both Perriman Smythe, Geoffrey and hear what Simeon Tor has to say: voila!

Of course it would be easier to just post the four files, but I don't know how or if I could do that.

Our Host!