Hellbokos indroduces himself and asks for your help....

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Hellbokos, Aug 15, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Hellbokos

Hellbokos New Member

Hi there all of you arcanum fans.
    This is my first post on these forums, and from some of the stuff ive read im guessin im bout to get barked at by a few people. But im not here to bark back. Im simply here to celebrate a game i have enjoyed for roundabout 2 and a half years. And yeah i know, "Well noob! Ive been enjoying it for 3 years! Stick that up your... well, u get the picture" LoL and if thats the case all i can say is well done to you. But i really want to say i appreciate what most of you have done for arcanum. Weather you have been a dedicated fan for years, weather you speant hours, days, weeks, heck months i dunno, on writing a guide for someone who wants to get into creating there own game. After playing arcanum for such a long time i did honestly only find out about how fun, deep and rewarding module making actually was. Ive been readin up on several guides such as Amtut, (Thanx 4 that dark underlord) and alot of the others. But at the moment im stuck. Im stuck in a few places really. But my main problem concerns the matter of making quests...
    Now, im in an internet cafe because im a months holiday in spain and currently have no internet. So, my apologies if a reply to a post is not quite executed that fast. But like i said, im stuck. Ive read up some of the guides i have found but still i have no joy. this is where im at...
    Ôk, here´s an example of my current set up.
    (By the way, im on a spanish keyboard so yeah i know that the brackets i use are wrong. But for my sake lets pretend there right XD

(1)(What is it?)(What is it?)()()()()
    (2)(Q:1)()(1)()(0)()
    (3)(E:)()(1)()(0)()

Now this is where im stuck..
    As i have no damn clue as to what im surposed to do with the gamequest.mes.
    Im aware that the -1´s are states in three seperate banks
    I know what them states are
    I know what the banks are
    What i dont know is how to make it all go together!

Please help me out, and please try not 2 make me feel like a dumb piece of crud 2 much !! XD

And by the way, if u will let me, ill probably in due course be asking alot more questions, and i fully intend to become a static member of these forums. I want to be able to help other people who are in my situation as i know how frustrating it is!
    Let me remind you, if you think i am not a so called dedicated fan of arcanum.... Im on holiday in spain... And im stayin up till 4-6 am, trying to figure out how 2 make a dwarf say "Would you kill this person for me" and then have him reward me.... I mean... Ahh anyway, pleeeease help me out. If you dont ill understand, when im playin xbox live i soon get sick of noobs sayin stupidly untrue or downright stupid things. Such as that tossy guy on the arcanum 2 forum bit... I mean christ! think about it! Stupid sack of shi.... Sorry im getting ahead of myself. Any way, hopefully hear from sum of ya soon!

2. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Welcome to TA.
    First let me say (well second) that you don't have to prove anything. So don't feel that you have to display your Arcanum fan credentials.

As for the -1 banks in gamequest.mes, it's very, very simple:
    Don't use them. Troika didn't!
    It seems it was an idea they largely abandoned because if you undat the main game gamequest.mes you will see it is just a lot of "-1"s.

Example:
    {1011}{5 -5 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1}
    Quest 11
    XP reward level 5
    Alignment change -5
    All the -1s can be left as they are. If the -1s were turned into another number then they would redirect the dialogue to that line if the quest was in that state. Having a -1 just means ignore this function.

3. Hellbokos

Hellbokos New Member

Ahhh ok thanx
    Another thing im trying to figure out is how to make a dialogue box appear straight away as soon as you start a new game. I would like the dialogue to be with an npc standing next 2 my pc. I have checked out the scripts and dialogue on the arcanum module at the crash site but i just cant figure it out...
    Please dont think im being lazy by the way. LoL i probably am but i will OnlY ask questions where i am completely stumped!

And thanx 4 the nice welcome

4. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Use a heartbeat script.
    Any script you attach to the heartbeat point will be called every fraction of a second.

Simple 2 line heartbeat script:
    call script attached to (attachee) at point (9) at line (0) with triggerer (player)
    remove this script

Attach the dialogue script to the dialogue point as normal.

5. Hellbokos

Hellbokos New Member

Ahhhh! Thanks alot m8, should be a great help XD
    Preciate ur post!

6. Hellbokos

Hellbokos New Member

And by the way, im sorry i 4got 2 post this part, will a return and skip dedault be neccaserry?

7. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Welcome Hellbokos.
    We dont all bark here just to hear ourselves bark, unless your doing something daft, which you haven't.
    (One word of advice though, dont double post or use chat-speak, or some of the less-forgiving types will call you on it. :) )

8. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Never use a return and skip default with a heartbeat. The result is a character who jitters on the spot and doesn't do much else. This is because skip default means "stop whatever else you are doing".
    Use return and run default.

I use return and run default 99.9% of the time. The only time you really need a return and skip default is when you are telling a character to float a line. Return and skip default prevents a generic dialogue float from overriding your custom float.

9. Hellbokos

Hellbokos New Member

I See!
    Well, thanx alot maxim and tong!
    :) :D :)
    Been a great help
    But may i ask, what is double posting and chat speak?
    Im guessin double postin is posting the same message twice but chat speak has me lost!

10. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

11. Hellbokos

Hellbokos New Member

12. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Double posting is what you did right before my previous post. If you need to add something just edit your post, rather than posting again.

Chat-speak is all the 'lol u r fny' crap.
    Use words and grammar, you've got time. If you do use it anyways, I'd recommend pouring gasoline on yourself and asking for a match. The results will be the same.

13. Hellbokos

Hellbokos New Member

Ahh i see.
    Apologies for that
    Sharnt do it again

Our Host!