How to make virgil create stuff?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Metallus, Jul 7, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Metallus

Metallus New Member

I actually didn't know how to search it; i tried with "virgil + schematics" or "make virgil do things", but i came up with random results that didn't concern what i'm trying to achieve. Also, probably this should go in Scripting and modding help, but i noticed that many questions about common mods are also made here, so i just went for this section. Sorry if i posted in the wrong section.

Basically, i have follower editor, and i can spread every follower's talents how i want, but even if i invest those points in tech disciplines, the dialog with "what sort of things you can make?" won't come up. I really cba to take Magnus in my party, when i'm a thief and he always whines like a silly bitch, so i wanted to edit virgil's talent, so that it could be him who made the stuff for me, but how to?

Also, is there anyway to stop virgil from healing with his magic healing? Being high tech oriented, he just wastes his energy to spam useless heals on me. The thing is that he already starts with the spell "minor healing", so it's not like i can remove it.

I have also to tell you that i never edited(like going into the scripts and stuff like that), and the mods i'm currently using are the level cap remover, debug menu, follower editor, and the one to remove weight from ammo.

Thank you and, once again, sorry if such topic already did exist: i really didn't know how to search for it, since i don't even know the correct "terms" (if there ever were some).

2. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Drog fixed Virgil in the UAP so he doesn't spam heal spells on tech players anymore, so I'd install that.

I'd be inclined to think that as Virgil didn't have the ability to craft things in the vanilla game that's why you cannot initiate that dialogue with him, as probably it's a case of a character has that dialogue option or not - the game won't check if they know schematics and then give the dialogue. If you don't want Magnus on your team try another tech follower who can craft, Vollinger and Jayna are both one's you can find early at Dernholm. They're also not very chatty so they shouldn't annoy you much.

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, Virgil gave up casting healing spells on me when my TA became high enough even in pre-UAP games. If you want to remove his ability to magickally heal altogether, you can also remove his healing spells with the 1.8 character editor.

It's something you won't achieve with simply changing his abilities. You'd have to add the appropriate line and result in Virgil's dialogue tree.

This would require extracting and editing 01324Virgil.dlg and probably 01324Virgil.scr, both files stored within Arcanum's dat files, and placing the modified files in appropriate directories in Arcanum/data/. Never toyed with editing dialogues so that's about all I can tell you. Choosing a different tech follower as Jojobobo mentioned is by far the less troublesome.

4. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

No need to edit scripts, you would only need to add a single new line, somewhere where it fits. Something like this:
    {000}{What sort of things can you make for me, Virgil?}{}{5}{wa 0}{}{su}

The 'su' command opens the schematics menu. "wa 0" means the NPC is not in the "waiting" mode. 5 is the IN check.

If you're using the Virgil's Debug Menu mod, you will need to extract the .dlg file from ArcanumXVirgilDebug.dat, add this line somewhere (any text editor will do) and then place the new file into data\dlg (create this folder if necessary), no need to rebuild the archive.

5. Metallus

Metallus New Member

First of all, thank you for the fast answers, and secondly, i've downloaded the char editor and i will try to totally delete the healing spell from virgil.

As far as the extra dialog is concerned, i have to tell you that i'm shit at this kind of things, so i don't really understand what you mean by "extract the .dlg file from ArcanumXVirgilDebug.dat". The file "ArcanumXVirgilDebug.dat" is present in my Arcanum folder, but that's it; how am i supposed to extract a .dlg file from it? Also, just as a try, i tried to open the .dat file with a text editor (notepad), but it came up with weird symbols (i guess the wrong encoding or stuff like that, that is occult science to me), but this was just a try (since you told me to open the .dlg file with the text editor).

Thank you again for your answers

EDIT
    Ok, joking, i went in the dowloads section, and from there taken all the dlg and scr files that were absent (and now i'm wondering how the hell the mod worked for me before...). Anyways, i'll try out what you suggested me, and i'll let you know how it goes.

EDIT
    Ok no, i don't understand a shit: the version of the debug menu i had was from here http://terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15917 and it was only the .dat file. Now i searched in the download section and found this "Virgil.zip" in the "hacks", and i thought it was the new version of the debugmenu, and installed as what sai; there i finally found the .dlg file, and so i added that extra line and saved. Started the game, talked to virgil (who had a silly avatar), and there was an option called "enable hacks", but nothing did change: what am i doing wrong?

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

You can extract files stored within dat files with a program such as DATBuilder.

7. Michaelje

Michaelje New Member

Thanks for sharing this post.keep it up.

Thanks
    Michael John

Our Host!