Best Equipment for Virgil?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by manillungol, Jan 20, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. manillungol

manillungol New Member

I've played through many times but never noticed virgil doing as many critical fails as he has been doing on this save, appears him using the pyrotechnic axe is a +5 critical fail and two charged rings add another +2 critical fail each, this may seem a low number but he has already almost killed himself and destroyed his armor after long dungeon crawls.

so what is the best weapon for him to use and is there any reason he would be more allergic to tech this time around?

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

9% = critical failure every 11th attack doesn't seem a low number to me.

Perhaps you have gotten to the point where he leaves you at T'sen-Ang at an earlier level this time around. When Virgil is found after that, his levelling scheme changes to a more magickal one.

10-15 magick aptitude. 9 strength. No melee training.

Excluding weapon which are tech, unusably hexed or too heavy for Virgil to use without accuracy penalties, the best weapons are, average damage per action point-wise:

11,75: Torian Kel's Ancestral Sword (though rather endgame)
    ~5,1: Axe of Lost Time (hexed but usable)
    4,167: "Sword" (the one from the Isle of Despair)
    3,167: Sword of the Derian Ka
    ~2,6: Arcane Sword
    2,5: Katana

Alternatively, a (Arcane>Mystic>Magick>Charmed) Staff if you want him to deal minimum normal damage and maximum fatigue damage.

3. manillungol

manillungol New Member

What exactly do you mean no melee training? his skill tree shows maxed melee and dodge and I have not went T'sen-Ang yet are you saying a sequence happens where his magic leveling scheme happens anyway as if if you had been there already after you reach a certain level?

I suppose I'll go with the arcane sword or the katana as the others are unattainable for me at this time.

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

His skills are high, but unlike the player he cannot receive apprentice/expert/master training, the first of which quite noticeable increases AvD/AP.

My point was that the moment Virgil is found after T'sen-Ang, his levelling scheme changes from "Virgil" (neutral-oriented) to "Zen Virgil" (magick-oriented).

The change of the scheme doesn't affect the levels already gained by Virgil up to that point, though, so the lower Vilgil's level in T'sen-Ang, the higher the number of levels left to be gained until lvl 50, the greater the effect of the neutral->magick levelling scheme transition will be in the end.

The greater the effect of the transition, the higher his magickal aptitude in the end, the higher the chance of critical failure while equipping tech gear.

5. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Give him a staff, and let him fatigue pulverize everything but ore golems.

6. vitamin

vitamin New Member

Will Shaman's Staff do that? BTW, can I buy stuff for Virgil at Zeramin's House of Darke Magick in Tarant? And please explain me guys what are consequences (if any?) of using evil items by a good character? By evil items I mean, those having yellow background with pentagram on it.

Also I'd like to know what items in general I should by for Virgil? For example, any particular spells or potions that he could use during combat? I haven't found/bought any necklace or rings for him yet, so if you could recommend me some I'd appreciate it very much.

ps.
    Just please don't give me any spoilers guys - thanks in advance.

Our Host!