This is the fixed version of the beta animations pack originally released by Crypton
. Big thanks goes to Crypton, none of this would be possible without him.
The animations come from the semi-public beta version of Arcanum (Beta Version 27 (10-9-00)), which has resurfaced recently. They were cut from the game not long after the beta test, most probably for space reasons. A few art sets that were made very late in the development (e.g. the plate armor set for half-ogres and the lizard people set) don't receive any new animations.
What does this pack include:
Two new animations are added for every race/gender combo and most monsters:
- Low attack for every weapon/shield combo (only unarmed and bow had low attacks in the final game, monsters had no low attacks at all)
- Walking with shield/weapon visible
The following critters receive NO new animations:
- Half-Ogre (Plate Armor)
- Fire Elemental (the animations exist, but are not included because they're poorly rendered)
- Air Elemental
- Lizard Man (Both Sets)
- Various animals
- Final Boss
How is this different from Crypton's original release:
- Replaced the early robe palettes with the final ones. Characters no longer flash colors.
- The full beta Phantom Knight set is included, but the palettes are rearranged to match the final ones.
- Fixed the problem with the hgx (plate armor for half-ogres) art set. The extra animations do not exist for this set, but the game now expects them since the other armor sets for half-ogres have them. This results in the half-ogre character either disappearing or freezing. Placeholders (dupes of old animations) are now added to prevent this.
- Beta Fire Elementals are NOT included, because they look significantly worse than the final ones.
- Unofficial Arcanum Patch v091225 required, mostly for compatibility reasons.
Simply run the installer and click all the "next" buttons. Should be retard proof enough.
I couldn't be bothered writing a custom binary patcher or finding an NSIS function that does it, so I made this only compatible with the UAP091225. Nobody would want to use this with the vanilla, anyway, what with the sprite mirroring and all.
The installer with replace your Arcanum.exe and create 3 .dat files:
ArcanumXAnimations1.dat - all new animations
ArcanumXAnimations2.dat - hgx set fix, dupes of old animations, e.g. when the game queries the non-existing low sword attack, the old normal sword attack will be played instead, just like before.
ArcanumXAnimations3.dat - this will be installed only if you're using the UAP Extra Content pack, this has the extra blacksmith animations with the new palettes included in the Extra Content pack.
Why are the .dat files build on fly? Because the .dat files compess awfully, and this trick allows me to cut the download size in half. The whole installer takes less than 70MB.
(Updated Nov 7th, 2011)
More mirrors are welcomed.