Problem with Donn Throgg

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Soron, Jun 30, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Soron

Soron New Member

Hi,
    First it's nice to see that the Arcanum Community is still alive. Great Forum. :)

I've got a problem with Donn Throgg. He doesn't talk with me. To be more specific he talks but it's no dialog, he just "hello"s and "how do you do"s me.
    Thats pretty strange because I can talk to Babcock and Wheeler and get their quests. And it makes no difference if I talk to one of them or both, throgg just doesn't talk with me.

My persuasion should be high enough (expert), intelligence is 16.
    Restarting the game didn't help.

I don't have to get the Willoughsby-quests first, do I?

I'm using AWIP and the universal level cap remover.

Anyone an idea?

2. No! Naughty dog!

No! Naughty dog! New Member

I'm not sure, but I thought Rroyo mentioned in the A:WIP that it didn't support some hacks, namely the level cap remover?

I've been experimenting on A:WIP slightly but I can't break Donn Throgg... he keeps working

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Welcome to the forum, Soron!

What you've described tells me Throgg simply isn't using his dialog. A small but annoying glitch.

Try this:
    If you have a save prior to hearing about Throgg, go to your Sierra/Arcanum folder and locate the DrogsCleanCache.bat.
    Double-click it and then replay the scene using the earlier save.

More often than not, this corrects the problem.

If you don't have the earlier save, consider the scene screwed and move on. It's not worth replaying the entire game game just for this one glitch.
    Be on the lookout for more glitches, however. If you find a couple, three more NPCs doing this, resetting the game with DrogsCleanCache.bat and starting over becomes a viable option.

Naughty Dog: Glad to hear the universal cap remover is working with the hack. Cool....
    Edit: The original cap remover was causing problems.

4. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

I had the same problem way back when the game first came out before any patches, and I've had it twice after the official patch. Maybe there's something screwy with the engine? I haven't had any problems with it in the past 3-4 years tho'.

5. Soron

Soron New Member

Thanks for the answers.

@rroyo: I just tried it and it doesn't work. I used a Save in Qintarra but going to Tarrant and the same problem occurs.

Oh, and A:WIP is really nice. Normally I don't go for fan-made mods (because of some bad experiences with Neverwinter Night mods) but your work is great. I really like what you did with Wolf(e's) Cave.

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Sorry to hear it. Soldier on then and watch for any other glitches.
    I would recommend a fresh install before you play another game though.

Thanks! and glad you like it.
    And - If you liked the Wolfe Cave, you're going to love the Iron Clan.

7. Soron

Soron New Member

Heureka! Because it kept bothering me that I can't help the proud (orcish) workers, I've tried to find the cause of this glitch and a work-around. And I've found it.

The cause seems to be that the global flag 2758 (Donn Throgg was convinced to riot and will no longer talk to the PC) is set to 1 although the PC haven't done that yet.

To work around that bug:
    - Search in the *.dat's for the "newest" 02026DonnThrogg.scr. (I've found it in Arcanum4.dat.)
    - Undat 02026DonnThrogg.scr.
    - open it in the scriptmaker and delete function 0 (IF global flag 2758 == 1 ...)
    - save it somewhere and build a new ArcanumX.dat in your Arcanum-dir around it (X should be some number that is not yet used, I used 6.)
    - use Drog'sCleanCache.bat
    - start Game and trick that bloody orc in getting killed by the guards or help that poor green fellows.
    -delete your ArcanumX.dat after playing through that scene and saving your game (I'm not sure if the deletion is necessary but ... you know ... just in case.)

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Interesting. GFs 2758-2760 were added to scripts in the official patch, however the patch didn't come with an updated version of globalflags.mes, so rroyo assumed that these flags weren't in use and used them in his mod, as he mentioned here. Perhaps, he didn't clean up his scripts since then, or maybe you're using an older version of his mod, I can't help you here.

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Drog: Interesting indeed.

Dialog lines 135 and 470 are the only ones that set GF 2758 and they're identical.

{135}{[A fierce hatred begins to erupt behind his eyes.] Twenty of my people. Killed. No retribution, no remorse...you are right sir. Tarant dies tonight!}{[A fierce hatred begins to erupt behind his eyes.] Twenty of my people. Killed. No retribution, no remorse...you are right madam. Tarant dies tonight!}{}{}{}{gf2758 1, rp1043, gf2627 0, fp }

I'll check this out later this week.

And yes, I did reset all my added flags to open up a large block for your repairs.

Soron: Which version of A:WIP are you using?

10. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Why flags are numbered, and not named ?

11. Soron

Soron New Member

@rroyo: I use AWIP 6.0.

@Drog: That explains why there's no line "IF global flag 2758 == 1 ..." in 02026DonnThrogg.scr in the original, pre-patch Arcanum.dat.

But why is that line added? Either Donn Throgg is dead after you dealt with him or he's gone hiding. You can't meet him again, can you? So the line seems unnecessary.

Our Host!