Magnus's real name*SPOILER WARNING*

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Serak Vulnar, Feb 16, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Serak Vulnar

Serak Vulnar New Member

I ran into the dwarf at the cemetary in Caladon that knew Magnus, errr, Malcolm. Does the game go any deeper into this? There's been several subplot storylines I thought would be interesting that never goes anywhere and was just wondering if this was another one. ThanX.

:boxing: :smash:
    People who say violence never solves anything probably never beat up a bully in school.

2. Solaris

Solaris New Member

If you solve the Iron Clan quest you will find out Magnus's background. What other storyline you found that don't lead anywhere?

3. Canis

Canis New Member

Part of his alleged background anyway. All we know is that Magnus's family were estranged from their clan some generations past, and that he has a pair of gauntlets with what may be an Iron Clan symbol on them, and that now he's got even more of an excuse than before to be an insufferable dwarven snob.

:bunny: (<- I didn't even notice the bunny smilie before! I wuv bunnies!)

4. Serak Vulnar

Serak Vulnar New Member

Pel Dar's daughter. She says she will go save Maximillian and bring him back to Dernholm. That was like over ten levels and three game years ago. The Head of the Tarantian Sanitation locking some of the sewers. I never found a reason for that. Some of the newspaper headlines I thought were subplots were nothing except a way for me to sepnd two gold coins. :cool:

5. Canis

Canis New Member

Lianna takes her time getting Maximillian back.... She always seems to time it perfectly so that he returns some time after you enter the Void....

I think the sewers were sealed because of all the horrid flesh-eating beasties down there, as well as their potential as a base of operations for thieves. I seem to recall the Theives' Guildmaster saying something about that....

6. Serak Vulnar

Serak Vulnar New Member

I never found the Thieve's Guild quest. I always assumed it was because I wasn't a thief character. Is it something I need to go back and do?

7. Canis

Canis New Member

It's nothing major, really. If you ever play a thief you should do the Thieves' Guild quests, but you're not missing out on any major plot points or anything.

Spoiler!
    To join the Thieves' Guild you need to steal a map of the sealed sewers, and the Guildmaster says something about why they were sealed in the first place. No biggie.

8. Lagash

Lagash New Member

Yeah, they're closed because that's where is the new lab for the conspirators.

And when they tell you that Willoughsby is in Caladon... no, he's in the sewers breeding half-Ogres! :eek:

...just in case, that's not true.
    ...I didn't know Thaddeus knew something about the sewers... never paid attention to what he said after I gave him the map. :)

9. Val-U-Pak

Val-U-Pak New Member

And...Possible Spoilers

The whole deal with the breeding ogre's (i.e. the Siamese Skills quest) goes nowhere. I still can't find a reason for this besides to waste a little time and get experience points. I thought something cool would come out of this after reporting your findings to the fake reporter in Caladon.. but, no go. =P

10. Canis

Canis New Member

Why would you think something cool would happen after you give the journal to the fake reporter who was in on the conspiracy?! :-? The whole point is to drive you crazy like Fox Mulder.

For even more xp you could then give the skulls to the phrenologist at the University... who is also a bloody buggery gnome! Bah.

11. Val-U-Pak

Val-U-Pak New Member

Maybe I'm just not a big enough X-Files fan to enjoy that quest. Although, I did enjoy it while I was doing it -- just wish it went a little farther. =)

12. Lagash

Lagash New Member

Hey, yeah, it's deppressing that quest... but there's still something to do. Pick your cursed 5-30 damage sword and kill every conspirator in Tarant you'll identify them for their negative alignment.

At least you'll feel better then. And kill Babcock too, he seems to be the only one that likes Donn Throgg but he's a gnome afterall.

13. Korba

Korba New Member

well if you think about it, it could be picked up later... arcanum 2 hopefully

14. gargob

gargob New Member

15. masterofthelostcollege

masterofthelostcollege New Member

I DO believe that the dwarf undertaker/gravekeeper in Caladon knows Magnus. Here are some reasons why:

I. Try asking Magnus what he knows of Caladon. I wont include it here because it is a potentially HUGE spoiler for the more perceptive :D

II. In the dialogue that ensues from the gravekeeper noticing Magnus, he speaks of Magnus as his long, lost cousin. It is possible what Magnus had once lived with his 'cousin' with his clanless (the Iron Clan's existence has been lost for generations) family in Caladon! Ever wondered why the Iron Clan is positioned close to Caladon (just a bit north of it?) And if Magnus isn't a long/lost dwarf searching for his true identity while trying to conceal his past then I'm the Queen of Sheba (notice the sarcasm :roll:

III. Lastly, Magnus, even for the dwarves famed short temper and attention span, reacts too quickly to your character's asking him about his knowing the gravekeeper and closes the line of discussion, i.e. preventing further dialogue. It is therefore my opinion that Magnus was a Caladonian, lived there once with his cousin and is now ashamed that his cousin works as a gravekeeper for the Caladonians while he himself is taking the honor of his clan by trying to find the Iron Clan and reconcile with his unknown past. Imagine having someone of your family laze about all day while you're preparing for an upcoming exam really hard, say.

16. gargob

gargob New Member

the gravekeeper is a moleachean hand assasin

17. Aries Shion

Aries Shion New Member

Magnus

Mister "Shale Fist" is as full of shit as a christmas turkey. Notice that his undertaker cousin tells you that Magnus lived as Malcolm Schulefest. Notice the similarity between both names? I highly dislike Magnus since he got me to kill the Schuylers unnecessarily (sp?) the first time around.

18. Canis

Canis New Member

Notice also that the gravekeeper is ia Molochean Hand agent, as has been noted at least twice in this thread. Why would you trust the word of someone who's sworn to kill you? Most likely he's investigated your background as well as those of your followers to get some sort of edge on you. Personally I think he's even less trustworthy than Magnus, who, I agree, is full of it.

Anyway, the Schuylers are a pack of evil sods who needed killing. Unless you were playing an imbecile I don't see how Magnus could have MADE you kill them.

19. Ferret

Ferret New Member

It depends on how big the ballgag and whip was and just how desperate his character is for Magnus. :lol:

Our Host!