Bug or feature?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by karnag, Feb 9, 2024.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. karnag

karnag New Member

Im playing good ogre background(race mod from unoffical patch) and some npc attack me when i try to talk with them even if i have high charisma, i thought maybe its low INT problem but drinking INT potions does not help.
    Npc attack me and then all guard npcs, examples are random guard in Shrouded Hills and dog owner that kick him in Ashbury, i really wanna Play this with dog what to do

Necolau likes this.
  2. LionXavier

LionXavier New Member

You mean the 'Gentle Giant' background for ogres, right?

Yeah, this can certainly be considered a bug, or, more precisely, an intended feautre that causes an unintended result. So, this background gives us a Reaction value unaffected by negative Beauty and a +10 on top of that. Ok, nice. But then it also multiplies by FIVE the value of any negative reaction you receive - really brutal. But hey, just make sure to be a nice guy to anyone you want to get along with and it should be fine, shouldn't it?... Well, turns out it won't: Arcanum's Reaction system is so all over the place and sometimes used in such an arbitrary way that, with the huge modifiers from this background, chances are you'll be getting lots of unwanted, illogical and violent results from many NPC interactions.

Case in point: the Shrouded Hill guards. When talking to any of the melee guards (the archer ones don't suffer from this) with a dumb (<5 Int) character and choosing the "wanna ask you a question" line, the guard will acknowledge the character as an idiot in his response and his Reaction will change from WHATEVER value it originally was to 41. That means that while any evil, ugly bastard with an original Reaction of 17 will receive a +24 bonus, our well-behaved Gentle Giant ogre, with a base Reaction of 55 (45 for Human NPC +10 from background) will get a -14 penalty which, being a negative reaction, is multiplied by 5 for a grand total of -70!! Reaction penalty, resulting in a final NPC Reaction of -15 (55 - 70) for the guard and the consequent unavoidable hostility from him and any other guard that sees you fighting back. So, summing up, this background just caused the exact opposite result that it was intended for.

Don't get me wrong: Drog's patch is awesome and I love the New Races component and the ideas behind most of the new Race-based backgrounds, but Arcanum is an expansive, complex game full of intrincacies, so oversights like this had to be expected. We can always hope for a new release.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
    karnag and Necolau like this.
  3. karnag

karnag New Member

Thanks, its clearly that he get little mad when i say stop kicking the damn dog and multiple by 5 make it much worse situation. Arcanum is amazing game, after all this years can still confuse me. Maybe i will try to get more reputation with him in some way, potions or spell.

LionXavier likes this.
  4. LionXavier

LionXavier New Member

Well, regarding the dog-kicking bugger I recommend another solution (the one I always resort to whether I manage to convince him to stop or not, by the way): just kill him for good. The Alignment hit is virtually irrelevant (if it happens at all, don't really remember), and you'll get your new canine friend ready to follow you after the deed is done. And let's be frank, he was asking for it all along.

If the problem is you're afraid of drawing attention from the guards, then just follow this simple, little strategy: make sure he starts the fight and then, instead of attacking back, just run away from him towards an area outside of the range of any guard patrols (like for example the door of Malachi Rench's castle, which is relatively close to there, towards the north-east). He'll eagerly follow you and then, once away from the sight of the guards or any other nosy NPC, you can dispach him without further consequences, after which you can merrily go back for the doggy where you left it.

By the way, be sure to do it with Turn-Based combat mode on: it's easier to plan your retreat towards a safe place that way and, besides, in Real-Time mode it would be difficult to run away from the enemy without attacking him first if you haven't set off the Auto Attack option in the Options screen.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
  5. karnag

karnag New Member

6. karnag

karnag New Member

Yes thats what i did i killed him fast in turn based and get dog it was good thing to do for stupid ogre its ok XD

LionXavier likes this.
Our Host!