WorldEd - Change view equals slowdown

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Zeratchi, Oct 9, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Zeratchi

Zeratchi New Member

Hello everyone.

I've been doing some fun modules in the past and in the present.

Something that has been annoying me for a long while, is the extremely slow scrolling.

Like, if you are in "Top-down" mode, and want to zoom out, for me it starts to lag.
    If I change from Isometric to Top-down view and back, it takes a while before I can do anything!

This is really annoying, and it is slowing down my progress, so if someone knows the reason for it, please, give some hints/tips.

I can play any kind of game today with the highest graphics, I'm also using windows 7 ultimate.
    Been trying some different compatibility settings, but it doesn't help me much.

I have also tried placing "-doublebuffer -no3d" behind on the shortcut, but didn't help me at all.

Any help is appreciated :)

EDIT: When I build a house in Top-down view, it takes a loooong time before I can do anything after that.
    Damn this is annoying :p

2. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Yeah, WorldEd runs like ass on Win 7. Nothing you can do about it.

3. Crypton

Crypton Member

Have you managed to find out what causes this problem? I noticed that it slows down only when rendering mobile and static objects.

I'm running W7 too, and I did tried to start a new map, with a grass terrain and without any objects, and everything ran smoothly, until I placed a new object (a tree to be exact) on the map. I was just a one object, but the performance dropped down, like there were thousands of them.

:/

4. Zeratchi

Zeratchi New Member

I haven't had any success, and since this game is kinda old, and far from being known as it should be, the support on this subject is kinda limited.

So I'm still searching for a solution.

5. Zeratchi

Zeratchi New Member

Anyway, I'm going to try and install "Windows Xp Mode - Windows virtual pc" since this obviously is a problem concerning Win7, and run the WorldEd there.
    Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky :)

6. Crypton

Crypton Member

I was about recommending you the VirtualPC, but then I realized that it (probably) won't help, so if it really works, please let me know.

7. Zeratchi

Zeratchi New Member

Like always, god hates me and my tries were futile.. sigh

8. Nataku

Nataku Member

Yeah, I have the same problem but in my computer, it's tolerable. :/ I saw that it's worst on a "powerful" computer. It's better when you reduce the resolution of the screen but it is still lagging. :???:
    Maybe Arcanum is to old for the new computers and the new windows... :cry:
    If you have one, I advise to you working on a laptop computer (or a old computer) :)

I hope you will find a solution :D
    (And sorry, I think my english is almost unreadable).

9. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I moved this to Modding and Scipting Support. That seemed more like an accurate location for it.

Zerati: what version of 7 are you running? If you use the built-in virtual machine system to run XP Pro (you can download it for free quite easily from M$), you can run a lot of older software (we use it at work for some legacy systems) with great success.

10. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

WorldEd doesn't have the -no3d switch, because it doesn't have a hardware renderer in the first place. The same with -doublebuffer, it's not a fullscreen application, how the fuck do you expect it to work? Jesus Christ, how fuckin' dumb are you?

11. Crypton

Crypton Member

Huh? :hippy:

Our Host!