let's talk movies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by C64, Aug 19, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. C64

C64 New Member

2. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Never, ever, underestimate the levels of bastardry and shit that Asylum will put out.

3. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

There are even remakes of Psycho, Halloween, and Friday the 13th.

4. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

The psycho remake with Vince Vaughn was actually pretty good. I enjoyed the plot development and the gradual realization that Norman is, in fact, a psycho. I don't remember if they call him a transvestite in the remake, but they definitely do in the original.

5. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I take it that Psycho and American Psycho are two different stories?

6. Arthgon

7. C64

C64 New Member

Yep, completely different stories. Psycho is a classic mystery/horror movie directed by Hitchcock, and it manages to be nicely understated even though it's loosely based on Ed Gein's crimes. By contrast, American Psycho is only understated when you compare it to the original book by Brett Easton Ellis (seriously, the book is far more violent by several orders of magnitude). They're both worth watching, though.

8. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I'm a big fan of animated movies.

Cars was amazing. UP was beyond my expectations...

9. Grossenschwamm

UP was a very good movie. It had real loss, it made me feel sad in parts. I couldn't get over how much Dug acted like a real golden retriever.
    An animated movie I saw recently was Plague Dogs (based on the 1977 novel of the same name), starring John Hurt and Christopher Benjamin, playing Snitter (whose brain was experiemnted upon) and Rowf (who is repeatedly drowned and resuscitated), respectively. They play two dogs who escape from an animal testing facility in England's Lake District and escape into the surrounding hills where they meet The Tod, a fox who helps them find food. They quickly realize they're being hunted by their former captors, as well as the media, and it's thought that they may carry the bubonic plague.
    I was surprised at this movie, especially when Snitter kills one of the people who are trying to capture him. It was an accident, but it made me laugh my ass off.
    The book was written by the same author who wrote Watership Down, and the animation direction of the movie was the same as Watership Down, the animated feature.

10. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

The watership down animated movie is fucked up (just like the book). Especially the beginning. Great movie though.

11. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to 2D? Computers killed 2D animation and Jim Henson.

12. Arthgon

I am sure that Jim henson would turn in his grave when he saw all these 3D stuff. It's really too bad that they are making everything 3D these days (and don't get me started about 3D adventure games!). When I was young, there was not 3D animation movies or cartoons yet. Only some movies were 3D (Friday the 13th part III, and Jaws 3D), but it was not normal to make movies like this.

13. Grossenschwamm

3D movies are still able to deliver a wonderful story, but for pure aesthetics I do prefer hand animation.

14. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Using 3D for films is a new trend, and I don't see the issue with it.

Disney killed 2D animation by making massive cutbacks in their quality assurance, by the way.

15. Arthgon

It is true that I am a bit old-fashioned in couple of things, and one of the things is that I really prefer hand animation as well. Some days ago I saw ‘Nobody‘s boy ‘(I know it as Alleen op de Wereld as well) and some other animation movies from my youth again. *sigh* What a difference with now.

I know that almost everyone wants to see beautiful pictures, or live-like animation these days, but I think that they most of the time do not not see the importance of a plot or story.

16. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Which is nothing more than a convoluted way of saying that most people are graphics whores.

Not that graphics are unimportant mind you. Nice graphics are, well, nice, and can go a long way to enhance the feel and immersion of the setting provided there is plot and lore to enhance in the first place. There is no need to go completely apeshit radical in the opposite direction, I resent people who claim that they would rather have ASCII graphics and their character represented by a "@" nearly as much.

Edit: This thread is about movies, but the same principle applies.

17. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

Movies with ASCII graphics hm? Now how to make that 3D...

18. Arthgon

Ah yes, I can remember those ASCII graphics (can anyone of you remember those games for the Spectrum?) but I would rather not want to have them. I just prefer a game that has decent graphics and good plot and story, than a game that has superb graphics and sound, but it's without a good plot, story, and you can't immerse in the world that has been created. (thus lifeless, and without atmospere)

Also, It's not that I really dislike all computerized (sp?) animation movies, but I just meant that they were so different back then. There are some animation movies who has very good animations, but no plot and atmosphere.

19. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

I still view computer animation as a gimmick. Toy Story was a good movie and it proved the concept, but does it have to be employed exclusively for animation? Not that there haven't been good computer generated movies, but my complaint is that they didn't need to be computer generated. It feels gimmicky to me because people seem to flock to computer generated films because of the medium, not because of the concept.

As for games, 16-bit graphics is where gaming peaked in my opinion. The game play was good, it was accessible, and my video games still looked like video games!

20. Arthgon

Amen to that. If it comes to computer games, I really prefer the games from the 80's until ca. mid-90's.* Back then was the plot and story more important than the graphics, and sound.

The only 3D RPG's I really like are Ultima Underworld I and II.

*There are some exeptions, because I really like Gabriel Knight, Arcanum, Fallout, Diablo I and II, and some other games.

Our Host!