Arcanum:WIP 6.0 now available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by rroyo, Jun 8, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Coolness :)

I just realized that I never got back to you on that Pyrotechnic sword picture....

I was thinking about that this..

Considering that there' s a pyrotechnic bow and axe, and that neither of them are "flaming" would it make sense to have flames on the blade? wouldn't it be a flaming sword then?

The Envenomed sword actually has venom poured on it. The Charged sword, bacsue a capacitr was used to make has electirical charge stored in id so it owuld make sense for the art to have a lightning crackling.

But whenyou look at the Pyrotichic axe and bow, there is no presnece of fire. The bow almost gives you the impressing that there's a flint near the grip that will light arrow as it comes off, almost like a match striking the side of the box. And the design of the Axe looks sort of like theres flint at the back of the blade that sparks up whenever the axe strikes. Hence the hot sparks in question would lend to the name Pyrotechnic.

With that in mind, a pyrotechnic sword, for the sake of coherence, at most have a reddish glow to it, a bit like the Inferno Hammer, or it sould be a charcola burnt blade, with perhaps a slight hint of a red glow somehwree.

What do you think?

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Since you mention it - I think the reddish glow would be the better way to go. Do you want a picture of a regular sword or will the existing one still suffice?

Also:
    I used Doolittle's Glyceride but I went with the Potassium Nitrate because there is no use for it anywhere else in the game.
    The good news is, because the nitrate is already tagged as an Explosive item, the schematic went straight into the found schematics listings. :)

{1108}{Nitroglycerin}
    {1109}{Find yourself needing some Nitroglycerin but you're days away from the nearest city? Well fret no more because you may already have everything you need! By combining Doolittle's Glyceride with Potassium Nitrate, you can produce 3 units of Nitroglycerin to give your opponents a bang out of life! Marvelous!}

//Nitroglycerin
    {5340}{1108} //Name
    {5341}{1109} //Description
    {5342}{531} //Drawing
    {5343}{10101} //Doolittle's Glyceride
    {5344}{15074} //Potassium Nitrate
    {5345}{15139} //Nitroglycerin
    {5346}{3} // Result Amount

Whaddya think?

3. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

LOVE IT! Finally explosives can be a serious business in the game...no morehaving to root from shop to shop!

As for the sword, please email me the regular one so I can do a comparative between both pictures.

BTW..are there separate art files for the sword for when its wielded and for when its just sitting in your inventory or a container?

I'm PMing you my e-mail in case you lost it!

I was also thinking about something....with all that fancy gear you can have with the smiking jacket, top hat, etc...wouldn't a stylish player need some sort of walking stick..or a cane?

Sure it could act as a weapon if needed but it would have to break easily to be realistic. Perhaps carrying one around would improve reaction and you could have varying types and prices for them.

Basically they would be weapons with specific art. One could even use some of the designs for staves...only make the inventory size somewhat smaller.

- Cheap walking stick - 1% reaction
    - Oak walking stick - 5% reaction
    - Fine Walking stick - 10% reaction

And you would even come up with some funky schematics:

- Fine Walking stick + Fine revolver = Bangstick
    - Fine Walking Stick + Balanced sword = Bladed Cane

-

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Check your in-box.

Yep. "I" for inventory, "P" for on-person or wielded, and "S" for schematic. I sent you one of each.

Yes, he would and the reaction bonuses sound just about right for this game.
    Now it would be easy enough to create the art for a walking stick (I think...), swap art from a staff to a cane, set it for the reaction bonuses you suggested, and lower the hit points for the first three suggestions, but when combat started the sprite would be shown using a regular-length staff as there is no short staffs in the game. A small detail - to be sure.

The last two you mentioned I'm pretty sure are unworkable due to the lack of appropriate animations and my inablilty to create new protos. I'm straining credibility enough with the crossbow and it's rifle animation. Using the same thing for a pistol-cane might be a bit too much.

I think I'm going to try one or more of the first ones just for the fun of it. If it works as well as it sounds, you may be getting a download link to a small mod so you can see the results for yourself.

Update: The initial test with a silver-tipped cane (+10% reaction) looks pretty good - until the fighting starts. Facing you, the PC is holding something that looks the right size and color. Any other direction and the stick suddenly doubles in length and becomes a light wood tone.
    I think this is still workable though.

5. rpg

rpg New Member

Hi,
    i'm using A:Wip 6.0
    and i made the installation true... ( Works )
    But the most important is;
    Where is the backstab skill ? :)
    I have it and i become appretice already ( visited the related master ).
    But still i dont see any backstab skill in the game menus...
    I know how to add it to the shortcuts, just need to find..
    I'm maybe dumb 'cos i dont know the game much too,
    there might be no such skill image to add to shortcuts..
    Anyways can anybody explain?

Second;
    At the options,
    the titles of options are hidden;
    I.E it says easy moderate and hard :)
    But there is no such info " Game Difficulty "
    ( anyway its not so important )

Thanks. And rroyo, thank you for making a such development to this old but good game :)

6. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Backstab is a passive skill. You use it every time you attack an enemy from behind. Use turn based combat for best results.

7. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Welcome to the forum, rpg!
    Glad to hear you like the hack and hope to hear more of your opinions about what's been done.

As to your second question - it sounds as if you may have a small glitch.
    Hopefully, it's the only one that you encounter but if not, run your install disk on repair, double-click the Drog'sCleanCache.bat, and retry first the Options menu, then a save made prior to discovering the second glitch.

If all goes well, then the problem will be solved.

8. rpg

rpg New Member

Thank you,
    it was a small glitch as you said.
    Fixed it, currently works as it should :)

Anyway i can't play much 'cos i'll have an important exam 95 days later :)

When i give the exam then i will be playing and enjoying this great rpg :)

And its very good to see people still play Arcanum and besides playing they develope it :)
    Wish Troika was alive :)
    Anyway...

9. Wolfsbane

10. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

11. Wolfsbane

12. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
  13. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Hi Rroyo...I have a first draft of the red hue for the pyrotechnic sword done.

One has a the hue in patches, analogous to the Enevenomed and Charged swords.

The Other had a fuller glow along the blade, like the iNferno Hammer.

I sent you an e-mail with both pictures so you can see for yourself. Let me know which type of patch will work better so I can tweak the glow a bit to make it blend better with the blade and get working on the other two images.

14. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I liked the full glow better than the patchy one. The white-hot tip adds a nice touch too.

Lookin' good!

15. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

16. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

17. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

Same problem in the Read Me file, except that one says 5.0

18. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

*Beats head against wall*

Thanks......

19. SoulKina

SoulKina New Member

Well, I basically joined the forum because of your mod. Arcanum has been my favorite game since I got it, 2002 I believe, but I stopped replaying it after a while because I pretty much did all the quests in the game aside from a few mastery quests. I didn't play it for a couple of years, and 2 weeks ago or so I was looking for some balance mods and found Car-Arcanum, which I didn't like much and looking for some mod with a Half-Ogre Isle/land quest... anyway, your mod is awesome :D
    I read all the 27 pages of this thread to be aware of any minor glitches and stuff like that, and I found some which I belive wasn't mentioned.
    For starters, you can report back to Mr.Vorman lawyer how many times you wish, always getting a fate point, which wouldn't be much to worry but with The Tempter Of Fate this glitch can pretty much make your character a god. Also, Kna Tha (the Azram Star place) seems to not be there. I don't know if thats a result of a bad install, but I was pretty much frustrated when I got there and it was just a bunch of trees. I was sure I was going to report like, four bugs, but I just can't remember the other two. If I remember I'm going to be posting them here.

Also, I'm from Brazil and dropped my English classes two years ago, so just ignore any gramatical errors or misuse of words (< like this one) and you get two thumbs up and a big THANK YOU for reviving Arcanum to me.

20. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Welcome to the forum, SoulKina!

Glad to hear you like what I'm doing. And you're welcome.

On to the bug reports.

1) Shackleford and the fate points - This was something I had completely overlooked. Thank you! With the addition of the Tempter, yeah, you could really overpower yourself real quick.

2) The entry to K'na Tha is almost hidden. When you get there, scroll to the right just a little and mouse around the exposed tree wall. There's a doorway there.

3 & 4) I'll be around here somewhere when you remember them. ;)

On another note - Does anyone have an idea how to script a wolf (Papa_Dog) to to run to and attack a thrown haunch of meat?

Our Host!