Wheel Clan: the Dredge (spoiler)

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Sheriff Fatman, Oct 6, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I've been having trouble with the Wheel Clan, because I managed to work myself into the situation where I couldn't get permission to enter the Dredge.

I read the forums (this and arcanum1). It seemed like most people view this as a bug or design flaw, and the advice was pretty much "Kill the Guard, noone minds"

Well, I still have poor Hervor's murder on my conscience, and was determined not to kill another innocent dwarf bystander, so I went back to my save for the start of the Wheel Clan.

From there, I maanaged to get permission, and here's what I did.

- Straight down to kill the spiders fort he foreman and become a hero. I'm not actually sure whether this is necessary, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to have a better rep.
    - Over to the old dwarf on the shop level who wants you to retrieve his hairy loom from the dredge.
    - Up to the dredge entrance to get the guard to tell me I need permission
    - On to King-In-Waiting, Randvar.

This time, during my conversation with Randvar, when we're in the "what happened to Loghaire" thread, I had the option to ask something like "what is this dredge and how to I get there"

Strangely, this time I managed to get the secret entrance location from himi too. I did this by not letting the matter drop, listening carefully to his waffle about stone and shape (interjecting intelligent comments whenever the chance arose) and a certain amount of sympathy/flattery. I was very careful to say nothing that could have been an insult.

I hope this helps anyone who was in the same predicament as me.

FYI, I have 13IN/20CH/expert persuasion

2. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

3. Raywind

Raywind New Member

Actually, how does one screw up so that one can't get into the dredge? From my experience you either:

1) Get secret entrance to Loghaire
    2) Get told to go through the Dredge

In the first case, you can enter the Dredge from Loghaire's chamber. In the second, you can get by the guard. Anywhoo.

4. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

5. SquireJames

SquireJames New Member

Generally the best way is to rig things so you save just before that FIRST King-in-Waiting talk (I know, easier said than done). If you don't get the right dialog in on the first talk, you will never get it. Persuasion should get the throne door open (then you don't need to pass that dwarf guard). Lack of Persuasion should get you the permission for the guard.

Getting the son to talk about Stones and such requires Intelligence (Persuasion doesn't matter here). To convince the father to retake his throne, you need to have gotten the Stones talk from his son (and about 3-4 ranks of Persuasion, I think). If your natural ability isn't enough, artificial means (ie: drugs, potions) will do.

Our Host!