What connection do you use?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jinxed, Nov 8, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I use 256kbs cable/dsl. How about others?

2. Calis

Calis Member

I use a cable that has a max speed of 1.5 mbps. Lately, it's been a lot slower than that, though... usually between 256 and 512 kbps. It used to be great, though.

3. Maniac

Maniac New Member

I have modem 56kbs :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Maniac on 2001-11-08 19:27 ]</font>

4. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

5. Ioo

Ioo New Member

6. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

7. Ioo

Ioo New Member

8. Ioo

Ioo New Member

there is mine. :smile:

9. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Bloody 56k modem with no pespectives for anything better :sad: OK so I have some 1% chance for a constant connection 0 though this 1% may be exaggerated

10. Milo

Milo New Member

What is it? Cable or DSL?

I'm on cable. It ain't bad for the price. DSL companies bend you over and rape you here, making you pay for 2 year contracts, as well as monthly fees $10 or more than cable. And this is for a boosted signal that only gets 128k up and down because of our distance from the nearest center.

Cable lets me pay monthly, no contract, no early termination fees, good uptime, and it's alot faster than the local DSL.

11. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

THE MIGHTY DIAL-UP!!!

You think you get raped Milo? How about living in a country where the dominant telco is the ONLY option for most people who want broadband access, and they charge about $45 (US $ that is, even though I'm not in the US) for a 64K capped connection, and 3GB download limit. THAT'S being raped. That's just cable as well. ADSL charges US$5 more.

Of course, the other broadband provider is heaps better, but very limited. It sucks here.

13. Kristel

Kristel New Member

I have the slowest one of all. I don't know if its 56 but I'm certain its a dial-up. Probably 36. Its very, very slow.

14. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

When you're at cable there, do you get unlimited Internet Access?

15. Milo

Milo New Member

Wow, that is pretty bad, Jarinor. They cap at 64k and 3 gigs/month? OK, that's rape.

But still, the local DSL over here has to qualify for at least aggrivated sexual assualt. Let's see, they capped me at 128K upstream/downstream. No bandwidth limit, although that was two years ago, and there wasn't much bandwidth limiting going on then. They're probably limiting now. $49.95 a month, plus I had to lease a modem. And on top of that, I had to sign a two-year contract. After two fucking weeks straight of downtime, and constant calls to tech support (I'll summarize that below*), I decided to cancel my service and go with cable. That's when I get the bill for $250 for canceling my service early. I had to bitch and bitch that the only reason I was canceling is because they weren't providing the service agreed to in the contract. Assholes, I swear. Finally, finally they waived the cancellation charge, and I was able to leave them behind with a finger and hearty "fuck you!".

*(My DSL experience)
    -DSL company: Hello, how may I help you?
    -Me: Yeah, my service is still down. It's been down for two weeks now.
    -DSL: Okay, lemme check out your details... (20 minutes on hold later)... Hmmm... M'kay, see that's not our problem. We provide you with Internet service. It seems your problem is with the phone company who takes care of the actual line.
    -Me: Okay? I guess?!

-Phone company: Hello, please hold... (45 minutes later)... please continue holding, your call is very important to us... (45 minutes later)... please continue holding, and take this opportunity to hear the details of our new long-distance plan!... (45 minutes later)... This call may be monitored to ensure the best quality of customer service! Thank you!... Hello, this is Rick may I help you?
    -Me: *snore* Huh?! Wha- H,hello?
    -Phone company: *sigh* Uh, yeah? I said this is Rick. How. May. I. Help. You?
    -Me: *grumble*fugginlilprick*grumble
    -Phone company: What was that?
    -Me: Uh, nothing, please don't hang up! My DSL company says that my downtime is due to your phone lines, so I'm going to need you to help me find out what's wrong.
    -Rick: Uh yeah... DSL, you say? That's the internet. You'll have to call your ISP's tech support. We don't deal with that. *click*
    -Me: BLAARGGHHH!!!!!1 Fuckers!!!!!

repeat ad naseum

16. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

1 dsl/cable. well it's a dsl modem router. but it's connected by a network card. dsl how I know of it I though should be connected via com. Maybe I'm wrong. anyway
    I live in a country where, the telephone company cheats the living shit out of you as Dragoon should know. They bleed you dry when they notice your internet connections. (they split your connections and make you pay more)
    and I have the dsl from same company. I have no choice,anything is better than a modem but there is no time limit or anything like that on the contract and it's 50$ for 256/64 and 5GB/1GB limit per month. But the connention to any http outside Poland could only be described as a joke. I have to use programs like DAP to have the 25kbps download. An the admins sometimes try over 50 times in 2 minutes to hack into my computer the fuckers.

17. Milo

Milo New Member

Goddamn, that sucks, Jinxed. :sad:

Especially since some webmasters ban you from downloading if they notice your IP using download managers like DAP or Flashget.

With my cable provider, I get unlimited up/down and download speeds of up to 450KB when using Flashget.

18. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

yeah it sucks allright like now, there is no transfer at all the TA loads up in hours. in the morning it rocks but now it sucks. right now my IP is dynamic so I get banned (didn't happen yet) I could log again. the companies that give you a guaranteed 128 cost 300-500$ per month making themselves out of reach for us poor children of the wasteland. and obut the problems I HAD THE SAME THING AT THE START!!! The line crashed and it took me 2 hours of wating on the line till I could report it ceing down so they don't charge me for 24hours ( if it doesn't work for more than they substract 1/30 off your bill) then it came back on 2 hours later it was down again. Then the next day (ofcourse under 24 hours) it was back. but the dream didn't last long as freddy kruger came and said it was time for another mess up. My telephones exchange wire's fried and it took them 12 hours to fix. okey next thing my Sygate fire wall was out of no reason stopping all traffic. and had to get deleted (it took me aday to notice that it was the firewall) till now I don't know the reason of it's malfuction. And finally now when everything is wright, the internet lags like my grandma and her walker.

19. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Wow. The connection terms are really crap over here, but for the most part they're reliable. Reverse for you guys. I think we can all come to the conclusion that pretty much every telco in the world is out there to suck your blood and rape your corpse.

20. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Our Host!