Trouble with the Black Mountain Clan mines

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by starchybean, Nov 14, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. starchybean

starchybean New Member

Oy vey! I have been playing this game off and on for a year now and restarted many, many times. I have never gotten past the Black Mountain Clan mines though... I really would like to get past the rock golems. What a pain in the arse they are.

Any tips to help a not so n00bish n00b?
    8)
    The Bean

2. Evil Assassin

Evil Assassin New Member

Are you a techie or a mage? What level are you? What skills do you have?

3. crispy

crispy New Member

tips for black mountain clan.

1. Don't go until you're ready. I usually mess around Dernholm and Blackroot and run errands around Tarrant, so I don't bother going to BMC until I'm about level 15 or so.

2. Get some friends. My best suggestion is the DOG in Ashbury. He eats ore-golems.

3. Use the right weapons. Hammers and axes (I think) don't take (as much?) damage as swords, etc. I don't bother shooting them because at that level, I don't have any guns that will be good enough to do anything but tickle them. You can also get a bunch of really fast swords and just use them up as you go through.

4. Magic helps. Lightning bolts are particularly effective against rock-rats, ore-golems and seething masses (and jolt is good when you meet swarms of kites).

5. Walk away ... slowly. When I'm lazy (or tired or near death) I just walk slowly around the room, letting the big dumb brutes follow me while Virgil, the Dog and any other help I brought along whack the ***** out of 'em. Remember not to walk too fast or too slow. Just stroll around the room. If he forgets you, shoot at him or something to get his attention.

4. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

TBC really helps here.

Tech weapons have a low to zero % chance of hitting Ore Golems, carry magical backup weapons & equip them when you enter.

Explosives will hurt them.

If you have ranged weapons, stand out of their sight radius & shoot at them. This will get their atention. They will come running at you & (hopefuly) use up their entire turn, letting your party wham on them for your whole turn.

Stand out of their sight radius & say "Dog, atack."

Use that F7 key.

And, if all else fails, run. They are slow & won't catch up. Then all you have to worry about are the Seething Masses & the Wererats.

5. starchybean

starchybean New Member

Thanks. I am a level 20 melee technologist... I didn't know about dog. When I went to Ashbury, I saw a dead "worthless mutt". Is that dog? I sure hope not... :oops:

Anyway, thanks much for the help!

6. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

yes that is dog. if you are patched i believe he can be ressurrected to join you. he is phenomenal for all characters

7. starchybean

starchybean New Member

Oh, right... I have the patch. Thanks, will do ASAP!

8. Gavla

Gavla New Member

Try a magician character.
    Master the force school, carry a few blue potions, and disintergrate will get you out these messes.
    Tonnes easier to play than technologists. You can go back to your techie and play the character differently after you've seen the game play out.

9. starchybean

starchybean New Member

10. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

did you mean magic is for panisies? or perhaps magicians are panseies?
    grammatical errrors aside, playing the game as only a techie or a mage limits how much fun you have with it. you paid for the full game, why not use it for its full potential?

11. Evil Assassin

Evil Assassin New Member

Get a pyro axe (The schematic is under Mr Willoghysbies house near some mechanical spiders. It takes a fetherweight axe and some fuel to make aswell as 3 points in smithy and 1 in explosives. If you don't want to 'waste' a point in explosives, go buy an explosives tech manual from the Tarant university.

Our Host!