Tips To Happier And Healthier Followers

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by YeaYea2001, Dec 3, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. YeaYea2001

YeaYea2001 New Member

Followers are like you and me, picky, arrogant etc... Followers like new stuff, a pocket watch, a bottle of cologne, some fancy new armor, a book. If you find your followers are getting somewhat hostile twords you, try the following tips.

Humans and elves can be made happy with wine and bread. Feeding a follower a few loaves of bread and giving him a bottle or 2 of wine will make them like you more.

If your follower is a magickal person and you force a Machined Plate on him, he wont like you very much. Likewise, if you slam a piece of heavy armor on a thief, that follower wont think you very smart. If you have a thief, give him oiled armor, thieves leather and such like, thieves prefer ranged weapons and daggers over swords. For mages, robes and light armor is the way to go, add a sturdy staff and your in business. Fighters, obviously, like heavy armor and a solid sword to swing.

Followers who are literate, like elves and humans, enjoy carying books to read when times are slow. Giving a book to an Orge or an Orc is rather like putting a dog behind the wheel of a car. Orcs and Ogres like shiny things, gems, geodes, pieces of steel or highly technological items.

For the girl followers, a couple bottles of perfume can do wonders for the approval rating, a fancy dress will also stack up a few points in your favor.

Guys, obviously, like cologne. A new pocketwatch goes a long way. A new tophat or smoking jacket can also give your followers a better atitude.

Most of the items afforementioned are redily avalible at most general stores or are easy to come across in the world of Arcanum. But, mark my words, the thing that always helps, no matter who the follower is. Is a good, high persuasion.

Feel free to request any other tips or to correct me if any or the afforesaid information is wrong.

2. Eros Rex

Eros Rex New Member

excellent tips :smile: I also noticed that when my charecter put on cologne or perfume his followers all liked him better.

3. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

about the items, do you just pop the things in their inventory or is this triggered by some dialog?

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

How permanent are their effects by the way? Also, I never noticed followers reactions dropping towards me when I gave them stuff that they shouldn't "like"...

5. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

I find that if I wear lederhosen and slather myself with lanolin, all my followers like me a lot.

6. YeaYea2001

YeaYea2001 New Member

The effects last for about 2 days. And to the person who asked how, it depends on what the item is, sometimes you just dump it in thier pocket and it works, other times you have to use it on them

7. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

You go to all that effort? I simply take them down to the nearest bar and buy them drinks till they drop.

8. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

jarinor we're here to talk about followers not your attempt's at relationships :lol:

9. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Isn't that what relationships are all about? Drunken one night stands with the first female you meet at a bar :grin:?

10. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

i'm sorry but doing that is wrong, unless there's two chicks in which case it's great! 3:)

11. YeaYea2001

YeaYea2001 New Member

12. Odi

Odi New Member

Only if Jarinor shares......!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Odi on 2001-12-12 15:47 ]</font>

13. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

australians don't share their women, that's for freak's and americans :lol:

14. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

But you do share your sheep. Here we just shear them.

15. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

that only happens in new zealand and tasmania actually, although i hear of a few cases in queensland :lol:

16. flamethrower

flamethrower New Member

my stupid follower doesn't even care what i gave to them!?!?!??!?!

THIS IS A LIE, ALL A LIE, THE AI TRIGGER ISN'T THAT GOOD ON ARCNUM, IN FACT, NO RPG HAVE THIS KIND OF AI!!!! uh, i mean, explain more plz!

17. YeaYea2001

YeaYea2001 New Member

Well, I do so hate to burst your strange little bubble Flame, but it is accually. Ive tried this stuff for myself, and I have a friend who "disected" the game and its AI system. Trust me on this. You can do some experiments for yourself.

18. James Watt

James Watt New Member

I do so hate to burst your bubble yeayea, but I did all sorts of experiments on my followers after reading this post the first time, all to no effect. I put things in their inventories, I used things on them, I put things on the ground and waited for them to pick them up, etc. Never once did their reaction to me change, even when I used cologne or perfume on myself. The only things which had any effect on ppl's reactions to me were wearing the smoking jacket and boosting my Beauty. I have version 1.0.7.4, btw.

pjm

19. Glupii

Glupii New Member

Agreed

As much as I would like to see the game recognize how I treat my followers in a real manner, I too have tried every way I have seen on these boards and specifically this thread and have had no such reactions what-so-ever.

I will not go so far as to say they do not exist, but I would ask anyone who knows for a fact that thay do to tell me how to duplicate their findings. What character do I have to create, what followers do I get and what do I give/use/whatever on them to increase their reaction? Until then I will continue to assume that this is all just a hoax.

20. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

I've done it. I've given Magnus Dwarven snuff. But for it to cheer him up, he has to be on the verge of leaving the party. It won't do any good if he really likes you.
    Same for the others.

Our Host!