The Disappearing Virgil Act

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by kaeotica, Jul 19, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. kaeotica

kaeotica New Member

Hello again--I searched the forums for this one but only found things pertaining to something that happens later on in someplace with a C (Caladon?).

My max followers is at -1 due to the "teacher" characterisitic, so whenever I need someone else's skills, I have to switch out Virgil. I have tried a bunch of times with different NPCs, but as soon as I leave the area or enter a building with the other person, Virgil disappears. I've gone to surrounding taverns, the crash site, and to some temples and still have not figured out where he goes when he leaves the group. So far I haven't successfully been able to use anyone else's services because of this--I don't want to lose Virgil forever. So where the hell does he go?

2. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Probably back to where you met him. Almost all the NPCs do that when left alone too long. The more CH, the longer they wait. Sog will sometimes head for the nearest bar, & Jormund, the outcast Dwarf mage with no real place to feel comfortable, just vanishes.

I once had to leave Vergil for 1/2 a day in order to raise my CH one more point. I went to the sealed sewers, leaving him outside the Gentelman's Club while I got one more level. That's off the screen a bunch, & on another map. He was waiting on my return. I was at CH 11.

Are you patched?

3. kaeotica

kaeotica New Member

Perhaps the CH is my problem? I have switched Virgil out for short periods of time (minutes) to check out the stats of other NPCs, and he would stay. The other NPCs seem like they will stay indefinitely despite having already been in my group. Virgil is the only one who disappears. Time doesn't seem to come into play, though, as I tested it out with Sogg--I left Virgil in the Inn, ran up to the temple and back out about as quickly as I could. Virgil was gone. Thanks for your help. Anyone else have ideas?

(I am patched)

4. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

may be he just doesnt like you!!?!?!

what is your alignment? characters dont like people of extemely different alignment than themselves, perhaps you've just pointlessly slaughtered to many shopkeepers for their money...?

5. masterofthelostcollege

masterofthelostcollege New Member

In that case, either they won't even join your party in the first place or leaves on their own accord (this often happens when your character undergoes a SERIOUS alignment change, like after butchering Stillwater or helping Sarah Toone). However these effects are easily (notice the paradox - I say easily because I always play with 20 CHA) negated by having 20 CHA, which as an added bonus makes NPCS wait forever, or at least it seems to me that way.

6. kaeotica

kaeotica New Member

I'm pretty good, though I do steal occasionally. Still, my "good" meter is waaaayy to the right, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'm in the middle of the road as far as tech/mag goes. There shouldn't be too big of a problem. If I remember correctly, this is why I stopped playing when I first purchased the game--I got myself into a bind. Then, I was still good but heavily tech and thought that might have done it. I'd like some variety because he looks really creepy walking around in Dread Armour.

Our Host!