PC related Query

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jinxed, Nov 7, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I was recently shocked to read someones claims that pentiums are better than athlons.I say that "shocked" because to me you would have to be a complete moron and a mutant to think so. You would have to be like King Farrad and his way of acknoledging facts that accur around him. Demented. and also saying that computer speakers are better than a home theater system. Good grief, such claims make my hair rise on the back of my neck. Why? Oh Why? Intel still exists only 'cause of such ignorant lamebrains. I hope there aren't any here...

2. Maniac

Maniac New Member

3. Milo

Milo New Member

Heh, you talking about Ton?

I agree, in this generation of chips, AMD is the winner in terms of price/performance. As far as I'm concerned, that's not even debateable. What is debateable is whether or not the P4 is better than the Athlon XP despite the price. I won't even bother arguing one over the other because it's a moot point, since I don't have $500 (US) to spend on a processor. True, maybe the P4 is more stable in a server situation. Maybe it can perform number crunching with less errors. I don't know, because I'm not willing to dedicate the time to research that, because I'm not a number cruncher, nor an internet service provider. I play games, do some photoshop, and fuck around on the internet. The AMD does it as well or better than the P4 for half the price. SOLD.

4. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

yes thats him. Taking this hypotherical situation: I'm an average guy, I go to school, home, to see friends and sometimes go to the countryside. I have to buy new shoes, I can but Intel ones that for 500$ or amd one for 300$ I get the amd ones. Then some guy tells me that the supposevly the amd shoes brake when I climb the Himalayas or Mount Fuji. Do I care? no. I don't care. And I also think he is making it up since the amd have alot more efficient sole material and the rubber is more durable.
    thats facts for you. If someone can't take these, go see a doctor. Same with sound, If someone can't hear the difference between a 22khz recording and a 44khz one, go clean yer ears.

5. Milo

Milo New Member

You're missing the point, though. The $300 shoes will break if you try to climb Mount Fuji, true, but the $500 Intel shoes will speed up your internet and make your digital photos come to life!!!.

:wink:

6. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

and me, being an average guy, what is the chance of me climbing the Himalayas? The same with the server upkeep. But as I said I doubt that highly aswell

7. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Thunderbirds all the way!

Durons kick Celerons!

The only advantage that Intel has over AMD is that if the heatsink falls off or isn't on an Intel processor, it slows down to preserve itself. The AMD chip will go to several hundred degrees celsius and melt itself and the motherboard. Like I said, this is the ONLY advantage that the average user would care about (in my opinion).

Intel and brand-name pre-packaged computer systems are for yuppies, suckers and people new to the market (which is fair enough for those new to the market). Home/custom built are for people who know their shit :smile:.

I actually have a pretty damn good pair of computer speakers from Creative...2 satellites and a nice sub...more than good enough for me...high-quality sound, high volume, good bass...very good sound system, although I agree, nothing beats a couple of 3 foot speakers with a proper amp :smile:.

8. Milo

Milo New Member

If your heatsink falls off, then you've got bigger problems than a fried CPU. There are alot of exposed electrical connections insided the case, and a loose heatsink would short out any number of them.

9. farknl

farknl New Member

I dunno. I've fixed about 20 AMD computers that had fan problems (usually dust related), and all of them are still working…no motherboard damage either. When an AMD CPU overheats Windows crashes - blue screens, and after an hour or so the computer doesn't finish the boot:
    stack dump 0F00 A200 B100 1011 etc
    I love AMD, but I still order Pentium for those clients who have been brainwashed. So I get to benchmark. AMD number crunches a shit load faster that Pentium! Milo, your computer is doing more number crunching when you play games and manipulate graphics, than any business app will ever use!
    BTW, I've put my hand on all those "exposed electrical connections" at one time or another, and the only one that's given me a jolt was an old internal modem…and two clients have had their heatsinks and fans "fall off".

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Hmmm...what could they have possibly been doing messing around inside the case...where do you work?

11. farknl

farknl New Member

It's easier to fix the buggers when they're on I find :smile: Run my own company (with my own personal injury and liability cover). Go on…give it a go Jarinor…it's just bloody mechano with 240 volts attached.

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yeah, I've shocked myself before...not very big, but didn't care for it much...thanks for the advice anyway :smile:.

13. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

I have to agree with Jinxed. The heat thing is a non-factor if you get a custom builder or build it yourself.

I will say this though, if you buy a Hewlett Packard or other name brand machine, have them open it up before you buy it. Some of those name brand computers don't come anywhere close to following the specs from AMD on how to build a machine. Some just have a heat sink on the processor with no fan, but have the case fan near it instead. That's no where close to being enough cooling. Also, some use sub-standard power supplies for the machine.

I'll admit that the Pentium 4 performs well on applications designed specifically for it. However, on standard applications, the Pentium 3 800MHz will show up the Pentium 4 1.5GHz. That seriously suggests a flawed design to me.

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Preach the word Saint_Proverbius, preach the word!

15. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

yes, there definetly is something wrong with people using pentiums (and paid for the mthemselves)

16. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

My friend actually has a pentium that is very durable...doesn't need a fan half the time :smile:. His entire computer is indestructible - been in a car crash, still works no problems.

Our Host!