killin' that kite shaman

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Xenalyte, Sep 11, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Xenalyte

Xenalyte New Member

Okay, doesn't matter what character I invent or use - I can't figure out how to get that kite shaman dead so I can get inside the chest. (Yes, I'm THAT new to the game.) Any advice will be most appreciated - many thanks!

2. Acacia22

Acacia22 New Member

That sounds awfuly bizarre, as where I'm at Kite Shamans are everywhere and usualy get taken out in one swing of my sword. I'd suggest roaming around the crash site taking out wolves (don't go too far down the mountain however) and visit the cave there, you should be built up enough after that assuming you apply your points to strength, constitution, or melee, thus also assuming that your stats are all already at 8.

3. G'Kar

G'Kar New Member

I remember having all kinds of trouble with that litte bastage in the demo as well, especially because he's got a little wolf buddy that is usually right by his side.

One piece of advice is either to start with a character with a Charisma of at least 9, or to start with an 8 and kill enough other stuff at the crash site to gain a level and pump up Charisma to 9; either way, then hightail it to Shrouded Hills and recruit Sogg from the tavern, and buy him a weapon if you have the money (a weapon is optional for Sogg at this point, but it speeds things up. Even a dagger isn't bad). Against Sogg, Virgil and even the lamest PC, the shaman doesn't stand a chance.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: G'Kar on 2001-09-10 20:21 ]</font>

4. Mr. Nicotine

Mr. Nicotine New Member

Don't take that crap from anybody!

Don't be fooled by the obvious level difference between the ailing wolf and the Kite Shaman. The wolf is the more dangerous of the two for a non combat driven character. If you're not a fighter type you need to drop the wolf first. The wolf is easy to hit and hardly has any hit points, but it hits more often and harder than the kite. The kite seems to cast entangle on you and then it either misses a lot in combat, or it runs around like a lunatic and ignores you completely.

If you use ranged attacks like the Harm spell, boomerang, bow, or a pistol, he's no trouble at all. If you're a weak melee combatant, try getting a rapier at the opening store. The speed of the rapier should still let you hit every now and then. Also, this might be the one and only fight where Virgil really shines as a combatant instead of as a support character.

Many a time (before he fed himself to a bear) I wished Virgil would fight with the same ferocity and skill he displayed towards that kite shaman way back when.

5. Acacia22

Acacia22 New Member

Don't worry man, later in the game there's quite a few more Shaman, but they're easy to take out once you've gained enough levels. The trick is, however, that you have to take them out quick as they use the summon animal spell, although the one at the crash site won't pull this stunt, at least he didn't with me.

6. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

That's odd, I've never had a problem killing the Shaman.

Some tips:

If you're going gunslinger, use the Bandit Background.

If you're going melee/magick, Barbarian is a nice background because you'll start with some nice armor.

Half-Ogres start out really powerful with melee.

7. Greenleaf The Summoner

Greenleaf The Summoner New Member

Our Host!