i need help with custom backgrounds....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Atheor, Sep 3, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Atheor

Atheor New Member

i'm hoping someone who has successfully made a custom background can help me....
    i read Zewy's instructions on how to make a custom background and made my own background, yet when i pick it in the char creation screen it dumps me back to windows. i followed the directions, the only thing i did different was edit the files from windows.

Here are is how i edited each file:

backgrnd.mes (c:arcanumdatarules)

{790}{1077}
    {791}{359}
    {792}{}
    {793}{0}
    {794}{}

effect.mes (c:arcanumdatarules)

{359}{pickpocket +2, picklock +2, prowling +2, haggle -2, dx +3, be-2} // Cat Burgler

gameback.mes c:arcanumdatames)

{1077}{Cat Burgler
    (i have a long discription here but i don't think all of you would want to read it)

please help (maybe someone could make a custom background editor or something)

one more thing, is it possible to make a custom town then make it appear on the main world map in SP? if not then maybe someone could make a program that did that also

2. Zewy

Zewy New Member

when you edit the files use wallpad or notpade(format/word warp off)

If it is that for all looks right here exapt for "be-2} // Cat Burgler "
    should be a spac here be -2

3. Atheor

Atheor New Member

Thanks zewy that was one reason it wasn't working, but i also saw after i posted the message that i forgot to put the closing bracket at the end of my backgroud discription i always tend to over look little mistakes like that...grrr...

Does anyone know if i can add custom towns to the world map in SP? because troika has made a great SP game.....but it's lacking in the MP play, so i think it would be cool if i could add my custom towns to to the main world map. If this feature isn't in the editor now leave your name and a message if you want to see this feature and i'll find a way to get in contact with troika to let them know what the fans want.

4. G'Kar

G'Kar New Member

Okay, I am a moron, BUT...

I can't seem to find an UnDAT utility anywhere. Is it just a hex editor or what?

5. G'Kar

G'Kar New Member

Oooops, found it.

Well, like I said, I AM a moron :smile:

6. Ghost11

Ghost11 New Member

Can you tell me how to create custom backgrounds, or give me a link to a site that tells you how? Thanks.

7. Ghost11

Ghost11 New Member

8. G'Kar

G'Kar New Member

OK, once more into the breach --

I admit to being a real novice at this, so maybe making my own character background is just over my head. But I simply can't make heads or tails of Zewy's instructions. When I type in "sierraarcanumundat", it gives me the credit line for the program and leaves me at the C:> prompt again. If I type in "sierraarcanumundat arcanum3.dat c:modding" it tells me it could not open the DAT file. Everything else I've tried has resulted in bad command or file name. I do have the C:modding folder made, but that's as far as I've gotten. :sad:

Anyway, thanks for listening.

9. Zewy

Zewy New Member

you need to be in the dir there undat is in when you type that line Ok then it should work. copy it co c: if you are in that dir

10. Faith-less

Faith-less New Member

i get an "unhandled exception error" after typing "undat arcanum3.dat c:modding" i'm using windows 2k, is this the problem?

11. Zewy

Zewy New Member

I use windows 2000 I have no problem but I use SP2 too it too can be that

Our Host!