Gimme few tips for beginning of the game

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by flamethrower, Nov 13, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. flamethrower

flamethrower New Member

2. exhile

exhile New Member

since i've beaten the game a few times i usually start like this.........

clear the crash site...complete the cursed spirit quest(whichever way you want..good is better)...go to shrouded hillsand steal reitzee's key (if your character is not a theif..advance time to night and follow him to bed steal while he is sleeping...make sure to save while in bedroom so if you fail you can reload) now just rob his chest for cash....go outside advance time 1 day repeat as desired....spend cash w/magic woman on border of town (load virgil up on armour)...spend also w/shopekeeper...advance time w/them and their inventory will change (they also gain more cash this way)...finsh quests for town...kill them (your now rich..i usually get 70k-120k)go to tarant....with this much money you don't have to worry about what you need and want for the rest of the game8)

3. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

That's abuse of the system!

No wonder you find the game so easy! I wouldn't do that, that's just, well, abusing the system. Not proper role-playing...a proper thief wouldn't hang around the scene of the crime...come back for more, yes, but not hang around until they have stolen more than you usually earn in the entire game...

4. Milo

Milo New Member

Here's a few practical tips for the beginning of the game.

1)Defrag your harddrive.
    2)Get the DirectX control panel applet and turn off direct sound debugging.
    3)Clear everything out of your task manager except for Explorer and Systray prior to starting the game.

Even though the game doesn't look it, it runs like a hog. Some places can be slow as hell even with a decent system.

5. exhile

exhile New Member

sorry to hurt your feeling's jarinor....the first time i play a game i don't use any cheats...this caused me to lose out on a lot of thing's in arcanum as a matter of fact...anyhow, after i beat a game once, it's on as far as cheating and shortcuts...fuck all that i don't want to abuse the game shit....beat it right once, after that do what ever the hell you want...walking a straight line all the time spoils life

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: exhile on 2001-11-13 02:22 ]</font>

6. elrat

elrat New Member

during the few times i've played...I could not live without pickpocket and lock pick...I get a LOT of stuff for free...especially stuff people have in their bodies which they won't sell.

for pickpocket I only went to expert since master seems unimportant now...and for lockpick up to master....whether I'm a mage or a techie!!!

7. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

My feelings aren't hurt, nor am I offended. I just don't think it's right. Playing once through a role-playing game the "right" way is like learning the rules in a sport, then cheating. It might be satisfying, but no one likes it and it gets boring eventually. Challenge yourself, play the game the proper way, with a style you haven't tried before. That way is usually more enjoyable than throwing money around like water.

Although, I remember once in Fallout 2, I had an encounter with a caravan, and boy, did it pay up! 3 of the bodies has 99999 cash (max you could have) so I took it, and it was still there. So I took some more. And some more. I took it a couple more times (about 10 in all) and I had 56 million dollars!!! How about that for payout? Of course, my party only had the best of everything from then on (gauss rifles, avenger miniguns, you name it :smile:). That was a goooooooood encounter.

8. exhile

exhile New Member

dammit jarinor.....i have'nt played the fallout series yet j/k....i was just being sarcastic about hurting your feelings...i didn't mean it like you were going to lose sleep over the matter....

i'm actually pretty sick of arcanum but still play...i scraped so many games in the beginning due to bugs you were fortunate enough to miss (iv'e read)....now i just play to see all the diff. aspects of the game....but when i get fallout 1&2....arcanum is going to collect some dust...a lot of dust

9. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Well, be prepared for a shitload of bugs in Fallout 2, is all I can say, until you patch is at least...gotta love the boot of a car following you around like a faithful dog :smile:.

10. exhile

exhile New Member

i almost daily look for patches on the games i play....saves frustration...thanks for the advice though

i love arcanum, i just think they should have spent a little more time on the technical aspects...instead of causing themselves to cram by setting themselves behind...at least that's my assumption

11. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

CRAM??? They didn't cram the game! It was about a year late!

That being said, yes, I agree with you, certain technical aspects should have been better...

12. exhile

exhile New Member

i didn't know that...i didn't even hear of the game until a week before it was released...so that is def. pretty sad...they did construct a pretty good game and it was troika's first mission per se...so as most people i'm sure they will learn from the mistakes

13. FluffyLittleRabbit

FluffyLittleRabbit New Member

Okay heres how I start the game everytime: Find the items around the crash site, kill wolves and boars, then go into the cave and promise Charles Brehgo to do his quest. After that go to Arbalah and promise to return his sacred artifact. Then go back Charles to ask the location of Farknus. Find Farknus and kill him then return the sacred artifact. After u received blessing from Arbalah, kill him and go back to Charles to receive some experience. After that head to Shrouded Hills. Go talk with the gnome and dont tell him anything. Kill him after ur conversation (the guards wont interfere with u) Next u have to find out about the ring, so go to the general store owner Ristzee and give him either camera or Bessie toone's boot or both. Or, you can lockpick his room and steal the note from the chest to find out more. To get past Lukan, you can: 1. Pay him gold 2. Destroy bridge materials 3. Kill him 4. Trick him you are from the underground thieves from caladon or tarant (I forgot) Okay thats wat u do at the start of the game and oh ya i forgot to mention the quests in Shrouded Hills but those are easy.

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Proper english skills help communication :smile:. Something to keep in mind for the future hey? Just improves readibility is all :smile:.

15. Ring lord

Ring lord Member

16. Lonflobber

Lonflobber New Member

Yeah, when you master haggle, the people become pretty stupid. You can buy the clithes off their backs, and they just say "I wouldn't sell this, but since I like you so much..." Sorta retarded if you ask me. I prefer pickpocketing them while they sleep.

17. elrat

elrat New Member

the problem I found with master haggle...as far as I know...is that you can only buy stuff from people who can sell...so all shops owners and everything they wear...

but not to normal individuals...

if master haggle makes you buy stuff from civilians, how do you do it? couldn't figure it out. :smile:

18. Ring lord

Ring lord Member

who sayed anything about civilians? :smile:

19. vanderling

vanderling New Member

FluffyLittleRabbit said:

20. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Our Host!