Food

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by gunman, Mar 24, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. gunman

gunman New Member

Is it possible to make the character require food, like in Ultima VII ? Something like not having food for a period of time decreasing strength and constitution. Of course, some food in the inventory should be consumed automatically during map travel.

Is it possible, and how?

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

This is probably possible if you know C/C++

3. gunman

gunman New Member

Yes, I know C++, but how does this help?

4. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Because you would have to use some sort of "counter" which will be "invisible to the player",(unless you are a king coder and figure out how to dipslay in the game as a visible status indicator).

With this In mind, I'd see two approaches:

1) having the counter constantly decrementing..say at the pace of 1 unit per hour...once the counter reaches zero...you can have reductions in the stats until you get the counter back above zero. But in order to be realistic...you shouldn't simply regian all your strength once you get food...it should be gradual...so you'd have to have a counter-counter to account for that.
    This pretty much means you have to eat A LOT...and I have no idea how the Aracnum engine works so I can't even begin to speculate on how much this sort of thing would affect performance.

2) You can use flags...but this would mean creating a dependncy relationship. Sorta like...your character needs at least one bottle of wine per day or else he loses half his strength. So you create some flag like "Wine_consumed" which is reset to false for every day that passes and is set to true when you consume it. It would still look weird cos unless you do the gradual thing like I said above...the character is jst gonna take his wine and suddenly be back up to full strength.

5. gunman

gunman New Member

Thanks for your replies so far!

However, the problem is that I am completely new to Arcanum scripting. I can figure out a method or another of implementing the feed status, but first I need to know how can I do these modifications.

For example, in case of a counter, how exactly do you make it or any other variable that you want to be as a "global" throughout the entire game. I suppose the answer may be found by digging in the guide posted as sticky in this thread, but I don't have so much time and I appreciate if somebody can put here some examples of scripting this kind of mod would require.

Thanks!

6. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

World Ed 1070 for module creation, just go into the data files with a hacksaw for the rest.

7. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Belive me, you need to use your C++ here, to change the game, not the arcanum world.

8. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

hex editor and an eight ball also works well.

Our Host!