Familiars

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Allenthailand, Oct 2, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Allenthailand

Allenthailand New Member

What is the point of familliars? Mine is this stupid flying thing with no particular abilities. technically it can attack, but it has a strength of 5 and 3 points in melee (but no rank). It rarely does anything. THis is a fifth level spell?
    But the orcs, ogres, and demons are priceless...

2. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Oh, I met another Asian aside from Kombat. :cool:

My familiar has rank in melee and dodge.

Welcome to the forum, Allen! 0:)

3. nobody2751

nobody2751 New Member

as i observed my familiar, as ur level gets higher..u can summon a stronger kind of familiar.
    1st level "Familiar"
    2nd level "Familiar Slasher"
    3rd level "Familiar blood-claw" and so on..
    i dont know the rest..
    i hope this helps...^_^

4. villageidiot

villageidiot New Member

Mine attacks... I think. I dunno I never use it.

5. nobody2751

nobody2751 New Member

anyways their good allies because they dont have upkeep costs and they move and attack fast...but the ogre guardian is the toughest,well..a little upkeep and ur done. but the familiar is like a follower who can go with u anywere not like the rest, they can't travel through the map with u.

6. Kaldak

Kaldak New Member

the way i understand it, the quality of your familiar depends largely upon your magic aptitude (at 100 you can get a melee master i think) and but not at all upon your character's actual level. Am i right here?

7. rev

rev New Member

I was a bit high level, but I had 100% magic when I got/cast my familiar. It's a melee master (methinks) blood-claw. It cuts things in half, doesn't use a follower slot, and isn't maintained. It rules. It goes nicely with my dog, my pair of ogres, my silly-ass virgil, my floating slot of random_followers, and anything I feel like summoning. Mwahah.
    -=rev=-

8. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

I wish in the next version, they'd change the flying familiar with something more complex.

9. nobody2751

nobody2751 New Member

yeah, why not small flying dragons that can shoot fireballs!! that would be very cool!!

10. Rojo

Rojo New Member

Correct. You can be at level 1 and have 100 magick apt and you will get a level 35 familiar blood claw. Gets really interesting (not to mentio slow...:puke: when you have follower NPCs that decide to make their own familiar...

11. Kaldak

Kaldak New Member

woah....thats pretty cool! which npcs make their own familiars?

12. Quethim

Quethim New Member

and familiars can also level up(mine started at level 10 and it is now in the 30s

13. Allenthailand

Allenthailand New Member

Thanks everybody, I have noticed that whne my follower dies and I summon a new one, it's stronger that it was before.
    I haven't seen it become a blood-claw or whatever yet. My magic aptitude is 50 now... It should be going up dramatically in the next few levels.
    How do I kill/unsummon a follower? THe monsters generally ignore them... with good reason.

14. Pissukonde

Pissukonde New Member

Familiars level up, but never spend their CPs.

Also, why is HellGate a worse spell than Guardian Ogre?

15. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

16. Vyme

Vyme New Member

I wouldn't go so far as to say Ogre Destroyers are better than Demons.

Ogre Destroyers have 23 strength, for 26 damage to melee attacks, that and they cost 15 stamina to cast, 3 per 10 seconds to maintain. They don't have very good resistances. They have about 110ish life and 11 dex I think. They are melee experts with about rank 3.

Demons have 200 life, 20 strength, much better resistances, high dex (17 I think), and they are melee masters with almost rank 5. They cost 30 fatigue to cast and 6 to maintain.

I think 1 demon is worth more than 2 ogre destroyers for the simple fact they hit more often, have better survivability (due to higher life and resistances) and get in more hits from higher speed.

Best part is you only use up one slot to maintain your demon, which gives you more (if you have the int) slots to put spells on it to make it even stronger.

If you can maintain 3 spells and have high fatigue/dex try this, summon your demon, cast tempus fugit, haste the demon, then cast stun on any enemy. The demon will attack anything you attack (or attacks you) and stun is cheap, and counts as an attack against something, so the demon will go slaughter it.

More than you probably wanted to know, but I am like that :p

17. Rojo

Rojo New Member

I've had Torian Kel, Virgil, and Tarlon-Ashe all make their own familiars. All I had edited to have phantasm though.

Our Host!