Black text boxes and crazy character animation...

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by The Magical Rabbit, Jul 25, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. The Magical Rabbit

The Magical Rabbit New Member

Hello all. When I play Arcanum in regular non-safe mode my text boxes turn black when I highlight an option and also when my character moves around the screen his animated legs stay behind almost burnt on the screen until I scroll over them. I have read faqs about this and it suggests to run in safe-mode, which I do. However, I was wondering if I am missing anything, performance wise, running in safe mode and if there is any way to troubleshoot the problem and run the game normally. Hope all this makes sense, and thanks to anyone who responds.

2. Aura Emenator

Aura Emenator New Member

I was experiencing similar problems until I upgraded my video memory. With my P3 450, 128MB of RAM, and 32MB of video memory thanks to a $40 ATI card, it now runs mostly smooth with no video glitches. When I was playing it without my video card and just the CPU's 4MB of video memory, it was unplayeble. I'd recomend at least 32MB of video memory.

3. The Magical Rabbit

The Magical Rabbit New Member

I don't think video memory is my problem as I have 128mb of it. My system is an athlon 2100+ xp with 512mb of ram and as I mentioned 128mb of video memory on my vid card with the latest drivers. I am running Windows XP SP1 so maybe there is a conflict there. Thanks for the suggestion though.

4. Aura Emenator

Aura Emenator New Member

Oh, well then the amount of video mem is NOT the problem. Could be a compatability issue, either with your video card or XP. (I refuse to use XP cause I play a lot of older games, and I just like 98 the best.) Check an official Arcanum site (www.arcanum.com or Troika or something) and see if your video card is on a list of cards with known compatability issues, download the latest Arcanum patch, and fuck Windows XP. Are you certain you have the latest drivers? Sometimes updates come frequently. You might want to tone down some of your video cards unecessary processes, as Arcanum doesn't require that much push, and Antioscopic bilnear whatever could cause conflicts if enabled when it doesn't need to be.

5. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

would the latest version of direct x help? or am i an idiot?

6. Macbirch

Macbirch New Member

I'm running with a 128meg card (GF4 Ti 4200), an Athlon 2200, Win XP SP1 and 1.5 gig of memory.

Yah, I also play Planetside, and it performs like a dead duck till you have at least a gig of memory. And XP and ME do not handle a gig of memory very well.

I have no problems of black text with this setup.

Mac

7. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Your video card has drivers. Your motherboard has drivers. If it is a driver problem it will be in one of those, upgrade them both & see. Direct X is a program & is also upgradeable. Your video card may have come with Direct X 9.?, if not, it is available.

Never heard of that one before, congrats.

8. Dedeco

Dedeco New Member

Try disabling you video card anti-aliasing. I can't play on GeForce 4 with it on.

Our Host!