Arcanum Longevity, Arcanum II?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Rosselli, Oct 29, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Eyes set on sharpest possible focus:

Am I reading this correctly? Is WBC3 under development? NobleKnight, you truly are a saviour in shining armor! That's the greatest piece of news I've seen in eons!

Got to confirm this (opens Google) ... Oh! It's true! They've even got forums! And you're participating on those as it seems... that's good :)

I'm a huge fan of WBC2, even though I suck at it and loose every fight, that game really is something. It has got a special "feel" to it that no other RTS really comes up to. And they're making a sequel to it! I'm so glad I could hug you NobleKnight! I'm hugging my screen now. Do you feel anything?

Don't worry, don't worry. There's no need to apologize for bringing such great news.

Heh. Seems that I got another forum to join then. :)

2. NobleKnight

NobleKnight New Member

Glad I could help. Sorry...if I thought someone would have been interested...I would have posted a link :p

3. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

well then post the god damn link.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Well, if you don't mind I'm posting a link to it right now - after all, there could be more people out there that like WBC.

http://210.17.154.139/forums/index.php

(that's a rather weird URL isn't it)

Hmmm... I can't help to feel that their index is somewhat "cleaner" than ours. Maybe you should look on it DU.

Of course, it could be the colors...

5. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Dark Elf, that is what all URLs really look like - they are the IP of the computer followed by some instructions to its apache server.
    Of course, most of them are masked with something like terra-arcanum.com instead of just the #

6. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Yes.

No (well, apart from the white line).

Yes.

7. stormwell55

stormwell55 New Member

That made no sense at all.........................

....................well I could be wrong. :-?

8. NobleKnight

NobleKnight New Member

it may "look cleaner" but it runs worse. Many, many glitches....

9. Xz

thanx DE

i can't help feeling thats one long index....

10. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Madre del Dio! I never expected that my little neophyte post would generate this kind of discussion and controversy! After that overdramatic little line, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines looks exquisite. The fact that it is using an FPS engine will only add to it, I feel. Although there is merit to the old-style isometric RPG perspective, isn't the whole point of an RPG to Play a Role? I think that having it from a more natural realistic perspective is a great idea. Of course, you want to be able to see your character, so that's why they added the 3rd person option. It looks like all dialouge will be in first person, a la Fallout, but much, much better graphics. Speaking of missing sequels, where the hell is Fallout 3? It's obviously great franchise material.

PS That little imprecation at the beginning was Italian, not Spanish. I wear my ethnicity on my sleeve.

11. Santera

Santera New Member

Hi, I haven't been here for two years. I liked the game very much and hoped that I'd find smth about Arcanum 2 here. So I understood that really nobody knows anything about the second part. It's bad.
    I met in this forum some people I remember from that time (minus 2 years from now). Also I understood that there are a lot of people waiting for Arcanum2 (and moreover some of them have ideas what to do). I don't feel myself lonely. It's good. The last thing that dies is hope!

Thou shalt not gravedig - Jarinor

12. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

gothic was big enough in europe to warrant a sequel (gothic 2), and a game worthy of being a sleeper hit in the cRPG community in the states - but it failed.

and dunno how gothic 2 did over there.

anyway I'm not pro sequel, even if it is the next best thing after a new good game - and sometimes a sequel might be better (for those complex worlds or complex mechanics)

arcanum somewhat lacked both, well perhaps not the complexity, but the lack of polish on any part - as Tim have said - it was simply too big a world/game.

Perphaps a remake, but until I see a arcanum 1 done well I see no reason for Arcanum 2 (oh the game was pretty fun etc, but again it lacked polish, and many new ideas was halfdone, or done poorly)

13. Xz

you didn't by any chanse notice this was grave digging?

14. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

a month old sure - dunno if I would class that as deader - if so any thread older then X days should be removed.

I have no problem with it as long as something gets said.

15. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Why is this now-useless thread in Arcanum Discussion?

16. Canis

Canis New Member

Filler.

Speaking of which though, I found this in one of Magnus's dialogue files last night:

Found that amusing. I wonder if there's a sound file to go with it....

17. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Wow, that's pretty good. I wonder if anything will actually prompt him to say that in-game? That gives hope (not much though) that there really wil be an Arcanum 2.

18. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

If anyone can make Magnus say it, then it is probably part of an extremely obscure secret quest or location. It may have something to do with the Iron Clan quest as this is when Magnus talks the most in the game.

19. Canis

Canis New Member

I think it's just some safety dialogue they put in in case your game doesn't end when it should. Perhaps during development players just stood around looking idiotic after the final battle and they needed to tie some kind of dialogue to it or the game would explode. Raven has a similar "after the game" dialogue, maybe others do as well, I haven't bothered checking. Virgil doesn't though, I know that much.

Pure speculation, all of it. Can't say I really know anything much about the game and how it works and how it was made....

20. trobs

trobs New Member

If eye were making plans at Troika, eye would NOT make an Arcanum II, but rather do something that fans of Arcanum would love anyway. Trying to make a similar game in a a similar world with similar constrictions (like the magic/tech issue) is likely to produce a dry, dead sequel. But how about this: Take the lessons learned from Arcanum and use them to make a really different CRPG game? Another game with great dialog variations, classless character development, constructed items, and many (and many conflicting) alternative methods of character growth.

The challenge of devleoping good multi-path dialog is immense, and requires just the right sort of people to do it. Let's hope it happens again within a year or two.
    - trobs

Our Host!