Bandits at bridge need help!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Kenmis, Sep 15, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Kenmis

Kenmis New Member

Ok, i really want to like this game, but i've hit a brick wall here.

I've done just about every quest in the Shrouded Hills area, cleaned it of all monsters, cleaned out the crash site, the cave, the mines. I'm level 4 and i have Sogg and Virgil with me.

I can't get past those goddamn bandits at the bridge. I have a half-elf, level 4, aprentice in firearms, 15 int, 10 beaty, 10 charisma, 6 str and 8 dex.

What am i doing wrong? I can't pickpocket them, ig et caught, even at night. I cant fight them, they completely kick my ass. I don't have the money to pay them. I accepted the constable's offer, so now i can't blow up the new bridge and get past that way.

WHAT DO I DO?

Thanks!

Kenmis
    Editor
    The Mushroom
    http://www.themushroom.com

2. Arcane

Arcane New Member

If think if you are persuasive or charismatic enough you can use the "I'm a thief too" conversation string.

I hope that helps.

3. Kenmis

Kenmis New Member

Persuasive

I'm neither, unfortunatly. :sad: i never saw those dialog options, and i talked to him as much as i could. I took the 15 INT so that i could have as many dialog options as possible. now i'm wondering if that was a mistake.

4. -=HL=-

-=HL=- New Member

if i am not wrong there is a dynamite in da mines..get it and blow the leader....lol,u will manage 2 kil 2 but the orge nearest to the bridge wont get hurt...

5. Rigor_Mortis

Rigor_Mortis New Member

6. alacantra

alacantra New Member

dynamite is a bad idea, as it starts combat immediately and unless you are really close, they will have run far enough away from the TNT for it to have any effect.
    My INT was too low for the dialogue, so i used my nimble fingers to "acquire" the key.

I don't know what i did differently, but by the same point (ie about to leave Shrouded Hills) i was Level 6 and had over 3000GP (from the shopkeepers).NB shopkeeper money replenishes when you go down the mine, or rest, or leave town).

7. -=HL=-

-=HL=- New Member

i tried wif dynamite and it worked
    i was at the end of the screen and they were in the middle i clicked on them and it didnt start combat mode

8. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

if you haven't acfcepted the "get rid of guys guarding bridge" quest from the Sherriff then you can ask him about an alternative means of passage- he'll tell you to destroy the bridge materials. (hint: use dynamite) :smile:

9. dralasite

dralasite New Member

A very effective solution is to get 1 level in persuasion: this way you get access to a new line of dialogue where you can con him into believing that you are a fellow thief and that he is stepping on somebody else's territory: he will give you the key, 200 gold and run like hell...
    persuasion is really usefull here and in many other occasions, don't hesitate to take it!!!

10. Nomadik

Nomadik New Member

Hey, if you have ability to make traps, do as I did. Ilaid traps in front of those thiefs and it worked nicely as this guys were havily damaged, in fact Lukan was killed by 2 traps right in the beggining of the battle. Another crazy things to do as have a real time combat and run around letting your guys and remaining traps to do the rest of killing :smile:
    Ther's always solution

11. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

actually they never left after I persuaded them, had to kill 'em. they let me pass though

12. Acacia22

Acacia22 New Member

Man, it seems like years ago when I came across them thieves. I had an extremely tough time with them too, especialy as I was pennyless. Forunately, however I had distributed a character point to pickpocket and after trying and reloading enough times, sure enough, I managed to get the key.

13. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

you can always use a fate point to pick pocket the guy

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

It's actually possible to defeat them solo. I got a half-orc, put his melee and dodge up one level, grabbed a stun grenade and kicked their arses with a balanced sword. Had to take out the ogres first though.

When all else fails, an axe in the face is usually the best solution.

15. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

I've never paid them. I either put a point in persuasion and talk them out of the key, or I kill them.

16. JesterInfamousMooCow

JesterInfamousMooCow New Member

What I did was first go into the cave near the crash site ..take out all the grenades and what not ...went back to SH, sold it to Rizzald*sp* and had more then enough to pay the guys

Then after I got past them ..I leveled up some, came back, accepted the deal to kill them, killed them and got my 1000 back

-Michael

Our Host!