So, like what's been, like going down and stuff, yo?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkUnderlord, Sep 12, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. EvilEyesBan

EvilEyesBan New Member

Labyrinthian You lived in rural central Pennsylvania for awhile?

Do you remember which city or county? I'm only curious as I'm currently in that area now.

Oh and don't worry, I don't own a gun and I'm not a Klansman :p .

2. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

with all those clansmen around, may be you should reconsider the gun part...

labyrnthian whats are you pursuing a doctorate in? i like the whole mystic pacifist idea; i've always thought that people should just shut up about worldly bull shit like skin color and money etc, especially clothing, and just sort of accept each other you know? i think being able to celebate the beautiful uniquness of your fellow man/woman is more of a philosophical achievment than pursuing a quandry like the existence of god. i know thats not exactly mystic pacifism, but i think after you've done that then there is room for religion. therwise you get all rapped up in the mythology of your chosen religion and think that your brothers and sisters are flawed because of it.

and as for you post before this last one, fundamentalist christians seem to go hand in hand with teen pregnancy, std's and gun de-regulation. i think the first two problems have something to do with the whole disbelief in the eligious sanctity of sexual education and birth control... id say something about the whole protestantim thing too, but i think america has made it clear how nationalist a nation of protestants can be... (actually, strike that, we're all a bunch of imperialists...)

oh well, if this post pisses anyone off please ignore it.

i mean come on, i'm just a high school graduate, what could i possibly know? and i'm only 19! i cant even drink! opinion? i'm not allowed an opinion, stupid! i dont even pay taxes!

3. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Well, Sleek, I may have just dne a pretty solid job of drawing all the angry political flak away from you and onto me. We'll see, though.

I study philosophy. Please don't ask me to get into specifics here. I'm trying to get away from it when I come here. :)

I spent my first ten years in Chambersburg, Franklin County. More specifically, it was a "suburb" of Chambersburg, St. Thomas. Honestly, I have only a few memories of racism, intolerance, etc. In general, my memories are mostly of trucks and cornfields, hide and seek and milkweed potions, dirtbikes and snowforts. I like country folk when they talk about the land, their kids, even hunting -- my first hunting post was meant as a joke. It wasn't seen that way, so I'm sorry. Then I got flamed, so I fought back. It's just that by the nature of living in the country, one gets to meet fewer kinds of people, and an ignorance of the outside is often born, though certainly not always. Ignorance is hatred's daddy, xenophobia's ma.

As far as America being a nation of Protestants, that's changing rapidly. Really, America is a nation of many religions, but mostly Protestant leaders. Protestantism is actually no longer a clear majority. At this point, it's only the largest minority. Catholicism is growing due to immigration. Islam is growing due to both immigration and conversion, though that slowed after 9-11. Hinduism is growing due to immigration, as are Sikhism, Zoroastrianism, and Rastafarianism. And even Protestantism is not exactly monolithic. Put a Southern Baptist, a Methodist, and a Quaker in a room together and see how much they agree on.

Damn, I'm hungover. OK, that's it.

4. EvilEyesBan

EvilEyesBan New Member

Chambersburg, eh? I'm in Blair county, Altoona(Hollidaysburg to be more specific but you've problably never heard of it as it's fairly small) and if I remember correctly that's probably an hour from where you were or so.

To be honest I've never encountered any actual klansmen, but of course, like most places there are always plenty of racist peiple.

5. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Unfortunately, the most direct experience I have from Altoona is stopping there for gas. I went to Pitt for 2 years, so every fifth person I met was from Altoona. Usually people said something to the extent of, "Yeah, I like it OK, but I'm not going back there to stay." An unholy number of them for hipsters for such a small place.

Klansmen these days tend to hide most of the time, as even in racist places, you aren't supposed to say you are a racist. Apparently, the epicenter of all that shit I mentioned is York, PA, pretty far from Altoona. I've met plenty of cool people from York, but they're usually running like hell to Pittsburgh or Philly.

Yes, there are racists everywhere, but the percentage is much, much, higher in some places than others. Some places it is not tolerated, and those are the places where different types of folk actually know each other. Examples:

I remember once when the Klan came to high school neighborhood and wanted a marching permit. My neighborhood is 30% Jewish, 30% black, 15% East Asian, 5% South Asian, 5% Catholic, and only 15% mixed protestant. It was the York Klan, off to Philly to get beat up and prove a point, I guess. They were given the permit, but, uh, persuaded it wasn't a good idea to march there.

I only witnessed one fight in my high school in all four years. Some white football player decided he should call a black guy a nigger, and not in the brotherly, friendly way. The black guy didn't raise his hand. He just watched as a bunch of other white guys did his work for him. It was seen more like vermin removal than anything else.

6. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

High school's soo fun!! lol, we've been in school for two weeks, and have had 15 fights already!! yay!!! it's pretty damn amusing... especially since most of them are chick fights.... and I'm not gonna bother comment on all that jesus and religous crap, I'll just confuse myself, so I'll just say this: I'm not religious, I'm not athest, I'm not anything other than myself. I follow no cult, no god, no nothin. I personally think that if Jesus had formed a government, it woulda been a Monarchy, but who knows? it could've been a highly reformed Communism?

7. Drake Crowind

Drake Crowind New Member

Ok its been a week since I posted because of those damn tornadoes all over ohio maing it harder for me to do my job.

This is sickening... why would anyone want to kill aligators anyway? Doesn't it amuse you that Steve Irwin molests the poor creatures?
    Its like, hilarious to watch him get his d*ck bit off by a big ass croc or gator. :lol:

Also about the tornadoes... I think my boss sent me on purpose through the strom hoping my ass will get picked up by one and thrown to indiana...bleahgch :p

8. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

lol! a monarchy? "all hail king jesus! all hail king jesus!"

i'm not going to argue because it think its a pretty ridiculous topic, but GOD DAMN i laughed hard when i read that. good one matt.

9. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Klansmen you say? I happen to be from a long line of Grand Wizards of the klan. Just joking.

10. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

11. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

thanks Sleek, but if you think about it... given the way he's treated now, does it really seem that unbelievable? I mean seriously, he all but RULES this world, he's respected and feared and followed by about 75-85% (guess) of this world, so if he was here, he'd be a king!! We'd all be hailing King Jesus! hmm... do you think it would be a monarchy or empire? depends... which sounds better, King Jesus Crist, or Emporer Jesus Crist? I think we should attempt to pass this with the Catholics, that god was a King on Earth... heh... Catholics... that makes me think of a bad Religious Joke I was told by a friend.... :lol:

12. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Actually it's only 26.7 % 6 billion people, 1.6 billion Christians. You do the math. Seriously. Get a calculator and do it. NOW!

Muslims do consider Jesus a prophet, so if you were to include them, it would be 43.3% Same 6 billion people, 1.6 billion Christians, plus 1 billion Muslims. 2.6/6 = .433 X 100% = 43.3%

Our Host!