Bad news for would-be contributors

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Xan Emrys, Jun 11, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Xan Emrys

Xan Emrys New Member

Apparently, it's company policy that they are not to accept any ideas from anyone. Something about legal issues or somesuch. Anyway, does that mean that by posting ideas here we're guaranteeing that they won't be in the game?

2. Samwise

Samwise New Member

Not necessarily. For some reason your mentioning that brings up a memory from long ago when my friend (who loved legos and star wars) wrote a letter to the legos people and suggested they make star wars legos. They responded saying they weren't allowed to do that now that someone outside the company had suggested it or something like that. But they still ended up making star wars legos.

3. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

This was Troika policy from day 1.

This is also policy of all corporations for legal reasons.

Because otherwise anybody can say : I send you my idea A and you use it without paying royalties so I sue you.
    This does not mean that they will not ASK from time to time for the fans opinions.

4. Cobrec

Cobrec New Member

co-incidence

Well Same thing happened to me, when I was young I got the same letter from Lego, because I suggested indiana jones, and star wars, now look they have both!

5. xento

xento New Member

Lego RAWKS!

Anyway, yes, they more than likely won't actually use the idea from checking here, but it not only is fun to share ideas, but it also boosts post counts. Beat that! :p

6. the_game_addict

the_game_addict New Member

why would trokia have this policy is it because they want to make sure they are not copying others idea's and getting sued or is it cause they want to keep there ideas secret

7. cadaver

cadaver New Member

just add a centence in your post (when you have ideas in you post)
    that the makers of arcanum2 are allowed to use your idea
    :roll::lol:

8. Zen

Zen New Member

Inspiring ideas to the Troikatonics with our mindless creative brainstorming should do no harm.

I guess it`s rather when one person concocts a larger scheme/idea/plot that is a personal creation rather than a bundle of half assed suggestions based mainly upon existing/others creations/ideas, and a gamedeveloper, or anyone else with the goal of making money, adopts this creation and presents it as it`s own is when the legal mumbo comes into play.

Especially so if the original creator has taken out copyright on his/hers stuff..

Oh, and Troika could not possibly have such a policy: Take ToEE for example. It`s based upon Gary Gygax's original module, and the bottom line is: He`s not an employee of Troika, and the "idea" is therefor "borrowed", or in this case licensed, from the original creator.

- Zen

Our Host!