An elf's life for me, character creation help...

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by The Magical Rabbit, Jul 22, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. The Magical Rabbit

The Magical Rabbit New Member

I'm going to start a new character and have already decided to make a male elf. The problem is I can't decide whether to go the warrior or the thief route. I was hoping some of you would weigh in with thoughts and suggestions for this type of character. Like I mentioned the only thing I am settled on is the male elf aspect. Also, I don't really want to play a straight mage, something more along the lines of a magical thief or warrior. Thank you one and all.

2. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Try the archer thief route. Look for backgrounds that increase DX & PE. Push prowl for a great sniper. Take Agility of Fire, Stun, & follow the Phantasim college.

If you don't mind being ugly, try Beat with an Ugly Stick. +s to ST, DX, & all combat skills. Learn Purity of Water.

3. The Magical Rabbit

What about a thief focusing on melee and dodge? Or would I just be better off in that instance to create a warrior-mage type character?

4. masterofthelostcollege

masterofthelostcollege New Member

If you are an elf and are working towards a mage/thief or a warrior/thief I suggest the latter course. An experienced mage/thief should have magelock, stasis and the two essential spells invisibility (with this you won't need prowling) and unlocking cantrip. I trust you will find this path easier since an elf's innate magickal ability (+15MA) works wonders when working towards a mage/thief or any other type of mage.

I suggested the earlier course, also for a number of reasons:

I. You would be likely to invest in prowling if you choose to take the warrior/thief type - the 5 skill points you may spend in gaining mastery is WAY better spent, especially since you're an elf, in the phantasmagorical uber spell Invisibility. Any mage/thief without invisibility isn't serious in pursuing the mage/thief character type.

II. Since you will be a thief you will also be likely to invest points in the lockpick skill, however due to the penalty elves receive in learning tech skills like lockpick you are disadvantaged by 2 points. A much more viable way, of course, is to spend the 2 points to gain Unlocking Cantrip. True, it is a noisy spell, but combined with Invisibility it works wonders. Just you see :)

5. masterofthelostcollege

masterofthelostcollege New Member

If you are an elf and are working towards a mage/thief or a warrior/thief I suggest the earlier course. An experienced mage/thief should have magelock, stasis and the two essential spells invisibility (with this you won't need prowling) and unlocking cantrip. I trust you will find this path easier since an elf's innate magickal ability (+15MA) works wonders when working towards a mage/thief or any other type of mage.

I suggested the earlier course, also for a number of reasons:

I. You would be likely to invest in prowling if you choose to take the warrior/thief type - the 5 skill points you may spend in gaining mastery is WAY better spent, especially since you're an elf, in the phantasmagorical uber spell Invisibility. Any mage/thief without invisibility isn't serious in pursuing the mage/thief character type.

II. Since you will be a thief you will also be likely to invest points in the lockpick skill, however due to the penalty elves receive in learning tech skills like lockpick you are disadvantaged by 2 points. A much more viable way, of course, is to spend the 2 points to gain Unlocking Cantrip. True, it is a noisy spell, but combined with Invisibility it works wonders. Just you see :) and since with unlocking cantrip you want your MA as high as possible to open the more difficult locks, it is advisable (especially, again, since you're playing as an elf) that you get your MA to 100 and keep it there. Once there, spend some points if you haven't already on fatigue and offensive spells like fireflash and bolt of lightning and voila, a formidable warrior mage/thief on your own with minimal melee/dodge skill needs.

6. The Magical Rabbit

Thanks for the replies. So if I understand you correctly I should not worry about prowling but instead go the spell route and unlock invisibility? Nuts, I really like the prowling animation so I might still take one rank. :)
    I assume backstab is still a must considering my elf will be a thief. Also when you say minimal melee and dodge it makes me think around rank 3, sound viable? I was also hoping to master the bow and was wondering how I should fit that in with these plans we are formulating. Thanks for your reply.

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    If I were you, I'd check out the character planner. It's a great help when trying to figure out what character you want to be :)

Here's the link (otherwise you can reach it on this site, under the council section)

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/characterbank/WEB_ACP.html

8. Darkdeaththing

Darkdeaththing New Member

Our Host!