Persuasion master quest? (maybe spoil)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ryguymcfry, Sep 9, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ryguymcfry

ryguymcfry New Member

Has anybody managed to get the master level in persuasion? I've talked to Willouhsbury (or however you spell it) but he won't offer the diplomat quest to me. He talks about how he's looking for someone, but there are no dialogue options that get me the job. In a faq I read the author said he couldn't get it either, and he had 20 charisma and full persuasion. I've got the same stats. Anybody else run into this or know a way around it?
    Thanks.

2. Di

Di New Member

My last character had 20 charisma and full persuasion too, and never even got the dialogue opportunity for the master quest. I suspect it's another bug. Pity that it hit for a master quest, because I'd spent what seemed like a hundred hours creating a character who would try to solve the end-game without a battle (since I'd heard that was possible for persuasion masters). I was bummed.

~Di

3. PiccoloSMU

PiccoloSMU New Member

heh it is possible dude
    u can persuade kerghan to surrender

4. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

First, are you an expert in Persuasion?
    Second, is Perriman anywhere near? There is a story behind Perriman and Mr. Willoughsby.
    Third, how did you meet Mr. Edward Willoughsby?

5. Di

Di New Member

I was an expert in persuasion, plus had the full five points in that skill. I had talked to Perriman, but didn't invite him to join my party since there wasn't any room. I would certainly hope that NO master quest is dependent upon having a specific NPC in the party. I met Willoughby outside his home, then went to City Hall to speak with him as he requested. Never got a dialogue option to become the Caladon negotiator no matter what I tried.

From my perspective, a "master" quest should never be a dice-roll, coin-flip kind of thing. If the player qualifies by having the stats/skills necessary (and I think full persuasion + expert status AND 20 in Charisma should certainly qualify) then the player should be given the opportunity to fulfill the master quest. Period.

6. ryguymcfry

ryguymcfry New Member

To answer your questions:
    -Yes, I'm an expert in persuasion.
    -I spoke with Willy when he left his house with Perry, then again at city hall. I'm trying to get the master quest from him at city hall. I don't know where Perry is anymore, I assume still by Willy's house. My party is full and I didn't want to trade him for anyone else.
    -I met Willy outside his house. Someone had told me to talk to him about master training, but I had to wait until after going to the elf village because he wasn't home earlier.
    It seems like this might be a bug. My situation and Di's are pretty much identical. Incidentally, I don't know if this matters, but I've spoken to the guy who wants the Caladon king assassinated but I haven't accepted the quest.

7. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Why did Willoughsby want to talk to you? He ask me to go there because he wants to do something for him like do the negotiation in Caladon which he marked in my map.

8. Aidan

Aidan New Member

The dailogue you need to follow is somthing like this.

Talk about unifed kingdom.Caladon.
    measures being taken.
    Let me handle it.

9. Di

Di New Member

*sigh* Yes, yes, we know what the dialogue is supposed to be. I got that dialogue once before my character had maxxed out persuasion, at which time I had the option of asking him to "Let me handle it"... he said I wasn't experienced enough. I put 2 more points into persuasion, tried it again, and never even got the dialogue option. I restored to an earlier save, maxxed out persuasion BEFORE speaking to Willoughby the first time, and NEVER got the dialogue option at all.

Either it's a lousy bug or it's an extremely poor design decision to allow players to spend untold hours building a diplomat character that, for reasons unknown, will never be given the opportunity to master their abilites.

If there is some kind of "hidden" secret to gaining this master quest, the folks at Troika don't seem inclined to share it with us.

~Di

10. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

I think I'm going to replay the game and see if I can help you out, Di.

11. ryguymcfry

ryguymcfry New Member

Yeah, once Willy gets to the point in the conversation where he complains that they need someone to talk to the king, you can only either: 1) Ask for more info about Tarant (going back to the 'root' dialogue menu) or 2) say goodbye. I guess it's a bug that pops up when you have the stats Di and I do. Maybe a new patch will come up before I beat the game. D'ah well. Thanks, everybody, for your help though.

12. Di

Di New Member

Aw, isn't that the sweetest thing? You are so nice to even consider expending so much time and energy doing that. ((hug)) It's hardly a game-breaker, just another apparent bug that is somewhat annoying and limiting when one has been striving for a particular character only to discover yet another, "Oops! No can do!" It could be some kind of complex link of doing/saying certain seemingly unrelated things before/after having gone to certain seemingly unrelated places... uh... my head hurts thinking about it. :smile: Until Troika squeaks up and says that either yes, the quest works IF you do thus and so, or no, the quest is broken, too bad so sad, I guess I'll stick with the more violent type of characters. At least they get the job done.

But if you manage to get that master persuasion quest, I would be thrilled to know how you did it!

~Di

13. Aidan

Aidan New Member

Master persudion quest isn't that great.
    And being able to have any npc in your party no matter their reaction to you isn't that great either. I play in character.

Our Host!