Tech problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phoenix, May 10, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

You misunderstand me, it is not that my card doesn't support DirectX, it doesnt support DirectX 8.1. Old card.

2. Milo

Milo New Member

Saying your card doesn't support DirectX 8.1 and saying your card doesn't support some of DirectX 8.1s more advanced features are two different things. Your card might not support pixel shaders, etc, but I don't think that would cause the problem you're having. Arcanum uses very dated (even at the time it was released) graphics anyway.

What's happening to you really sounds like a copy protection problem to me. One sure fire way to check is to get a NoCD crack for Arcanum. Or at least a "fixed" executable file that bypasses the copy protection. If you apply either of these and your problem goes away, then you know that it's the copy protection doing it to you. If it is that, then you can either keep using the cracked exe, or you can get a new cd-rom (if you can't update the firmware, that is).

3. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

ok, cool, I'll look about that. Thanks.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Ok, I can't seem to find a cd-crack for arcanum. Know where I could find one? I would have just edited my last post, but I wasn't sure if it would register as a new message and send it back to the top of the forum.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Ok, I can't seem to find a cd-crack for arcanum. Know where I could find one? I would have just edited my last post, but I wasn't sure if it would register as a new message and send it back to the top of the forum. If you are afraid someone using a warez edition will see it, just email it to me at fire_and_ice911@hotmail.com

6. Milo

Milo New Member

Anyone that knows where to find warez shit will already know or have a crack handy. I figure that since you're using it for a legitimate purpose, and since the site itself isn't illegal, there's no harm in posting it since other people might be having the same problem as you are.

Game Copy World. You can find most NoCD/fixed exe patches there. If you can't find one for your version of Arcanum there, then you'll have to ask around more. I wouldn't know where else to look.

You could also try breaking the copy protection yourself. If I remember correctly, Arcanum uses either SafeDisc or SecureROM. You can find some links around that site above for tools which will "fix" the executable for you.

PS - To the mods: if any of this should not be posted, then please delete.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

8. Gabriel Knight

Gabriel Knight New Member

This worked for me when I had the exactly same problem.

First install the game with only systray and explorer running on the background.Then without patching start the game and let the first load screen pass.Then exit the game, update it and start it again.

Now if everything goes according to plan you're arcanum should work.

9. Ancient Gamer

Ancient Gamer New Member

Well I am new to Arcanum and it rocks ! Except for one thing. Every time I get past Tarant I can not open trash cans chests loot corpses so that means no treasure not good bad ( If anyone saw Wizards) maybe someone can help me figure this out. ( They shot Fred..more Wizards ) I am running windows 98 sec ed, 1 gighz processor 512 megs ram 128 megs ram mem on g force video card 52x cd 120 gigs hard drive space turning at 7200, I already uninstalled and reinstalled 2x any clues, Did I miss a patch if so where do I get it ? Thought iw was a heat problem at first but all four fan running fine, Puzzled. Appreciate any help Ancient Gamer has mad insomnia need to play Peace out all Thanks again Oh yeah is Orange items good or bad ?

Our Host!