good weapon for mage?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by gamesguy, May 5, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. gamesguy

gamesguy New Member

whats a good weapon for a mage? thats not evil?

2. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Hehe, you need to be a little more specific. It depends what strengh you have and dexterity.

Oh, and post such questions in the hits section next time.

3. Solaris

Solaris New Member

It also depends on your fighting style- if you're a battlemage (relying more on weapons than on magic) or a spellcaster, and if you're a battlemage, it yet again depends on if you prefer melee, bow or throwing weapons.

4. Langolier

Langolier Member

If you are a spell casting mage, I would go for the Arcane Staff, it has 80mp on it. If your a battle mage with high strength and melee skill, then any Arcane sword should be good.

5. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Pure Mage, Arcane Staff, Mage's Staff untill you find one. If MA = 100%, try a Stillwater Blade.
    Mele battlemage, ST > 15 Arcane Greatsword, 16> ST >11 Arcane Sword or Axe, ST<12, Sword of Air.
    Throwing battlemage, Mystic Chakram untill you get Azram's Star.
    Archer mage, Elemun's Bow. Good for a tech archer too.
    Mage thief, Arcane Dagger.
    Chicken mage with no combat skills, Sword of Defense.

Did I forget anyone?

6. Solaris

Solaris New Member

For the weak melee battlemage the Filament sword is better than Sword of Air. Higher damage (SoA= DMG 5-20 , FS=DMG 5-10(+12) and I don't know if it even has MSR, because it can be weilded even by a character with ST5

7. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Gunslinger mage :lol:

8. verminator_666

verminator_666 New Member

i quite often use an axe of strength, even if my melee is poor, i just rely on those extra points in ST and CN

9. Hauptmann

Hauptmann New Member

what can i do with a mages staff? it has 20 charges , but of what spell?

10. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

IIRC, the Mage Staff has Dweomer Shield and Illuminate in it. To use it, click on the Blue Button to the left of the hotkey row, and then click on the spell you want to use.

11. gamesguy

gamesguy New Member

im more of a battlemage. I have 18 st, mastermeele and expert dodge.

currently im using some kind of axe (forgot the name). when I attack with it it shoots off bolts of lightning.

12. backstabber

backstabber New Member

13. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

That would be the Axe of Dark Lightning. You might want to see who the bolts are hitting.

14. Hauptmann

Hauptmann New Member

how can i replenish the mana of the"mages staff"? are there any better staves with spells on it? cause illuminate and dweomer shield doesnt seem very useful to me...

15. Solaris

Solaris New Member

You don't "replenish" the mana of the Mage's stuff, it restores itself over time, just like your own fatigue. The spells cannot be restored to their priginal number, once you use the 20 you have, the staff is only good for the mana it gives.
    Other staffs with spells? There is a Staff of Healing with Minor and Major healing, the Shaman saff with Entangle, Major healing and something else (don't remember), but they don't give any mana. Some staffs owner by shopkeepers can be used to identify items. The Stillwater blade gives you a Succour beast, if you have high MA you can summon impressive monsters to fight for you. The number of spells this blade can cast is unlimited.

16. verminator_666

verminator_666 New Member

IIRC doesnt fawns bow have resurrect and other healing spells?

17. Hauptmann

Hauptmann New Member

And what would be the main quest? :D

How long does it take for a staff's mana to replenish? I spent like 3 days sleeping and didn't see anything happen... still had the 8 mana points from since the beginning when i bought the staff and tried some spells.

18. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Everyone has their own main quest, you know. Some never find it. But do me a favor, don't drag me into philosophic discussion in the "hints and tips" section ;)
    Strange. The mana restores over time, I had my staves recharging themselves quite quickly. I was going through the dungeons with 5 Mage's staves in my inventory, and by the time I used all the mana of the fifth staff (casting mostly low fatigue spells like harm) the first one was already at least half recharged. Are you sure you're not confusing the number of spells you have left with the number of mana, that is supposed to be in that little blue window on the left side?

19. Hauptmann

Hauptmann New Member

no im NOT sure at all! if you have a mages staff, you see it in the inventory and there it says charges:20 , then you click on blue sign located left of your "belt" (where you have the potions and such stuff for quick access) , then you see the spells which you can cast with this staff, like illuminate and such, and the mana ( or charges) goes down from 20 to whatever... do these spells or charges or mana points replenish over time??

20. Solaris

Solaris New Member

No, spells do not replenish, You use them- and that's it. BUT: look at the narrow little window on your left, the same one where you usually see your money, bullets, arrows or charges. When you're equipped with a Mage's stuff, it goes blue and shows the number 50. This is the additional mana you get from the stuff to cast and maintain your own spells. The Arcane staff carries no spells, but it gives you 80 additional mana, which is why it is more useful.

Our Host!