Corrup Save Games

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Dthind, Sep 8, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dthind

Dthind New Member

Is there anything that can be done to recover corrupt save games ?

2. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

3. Acacia22

Acacia22 New Member

Ouch! That has gotta suck!
    I'm assuming you probably saved over the same game alot. I save often and in many different save files, I usualy only save over the same game three or four times, then make a new save file.

4. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

I don't think saving too many times is the problem. I think if you hack the game and failed to make a backup it becames "corrupt."

5. Acacia22

Acacia22 New Member

Actualy, if the game was hacked, it wouldn't hurt the original game disk at all, but the hacked copy may play a bit flakey.
    If hacked, I'd suggest purchasing the real deal, the game is quirky enough as it is, and other than that, it's worth every penny. I no longer do the hack-a-roo thing anymore, especialy with games, as I can afford to shell out $50 here and there, not to mention, if you wait six months, for most games, they drop in price, sometimes as cheap as $10! Plus Sierra/Troika definitely deserves something in return for such an awesome game, and I want them to be able to produce future releases!
    If this is a legitamate, hard copy then it's pretty scary to think that I can wind up a corrupt save, AACCCKKK! Maybe try running Scan Disk, it repairs the hard drive, maybe it might also fix funky files...

6. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

So you were talking about the warez. Sorry, my mistake.

7. Acacia22

Acacia22 New Member

No, not me, I have a legitimate copy.
    What I was saying initialy was that even with the purchased, retail version, writing to the same file over and over again might corrupt it.
    You mentioned it might be the fault of the thread starter having a hacked copy in which my point was, if such were the case, buying the real deal would be the best solution as I, and it appears others, have encountered quirks in the purchased, retail version, which would render a warez copy pretty much unplayable assuming it would be lesser in quality.
    This is however not to say that the real deal is too buggy, but there's alot of info that the game has to process and sometimes that info doesn't get processed correctly.

8. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

No, I did not assume for one second that he bought the pirated version or hacked copy. What I said was he might have hacked it that makes it buggy. You know, tweaking with the saved file, TFAF, I believe. You do this in a HEX editor so that you can get more points, more faitgue, higher stats, and stuff like that.

9. Acacia22

Acacia22 New Member

Ah, sorry, my confusion. I wasn't aware that you can edit save game files, which now that I know, I'll heed your warning and not attempt it myself. :smile:

10. Dthind

Dthind New Member

I have a full version, and not warez. I paid for the game the day it came out. I have been using the auto save game as my main game and I create a backup every other day or so. I lost a 35th level character and will have to go back to a 31st level save. I had just finished qintarra, the lizard area, the cursed paladin, and had all of my stuff identified.

And yes I use the F7 / F8 to save and load the game, and NO I have not hacked or edited ANY part of the game.

My point is, make a daily backup unless you want to risk getting a corrupted game.

The interesting thing is the corrupted game has me and virgil naked on the grass in a section of the map that is actually off the map. We are both first level and have all of the possessions from the original character creator store. This is, of course worthless, but it was interesting.

11. Acacia22

Acacia22 New Member

Damn, that sucks man. I haven't bothered with auto save files at all, one thing, auto save is saving in some wierd places, and another is I'm not sure where the auto save file is-it doesn't seem to appear in my list of saves.
    While on the subject, every once in awhile I get a message while playing saying 'auto load successful', what exactly is the game auto loading?

12. Beelzebubba

Beelzebubba New Member

Auto-Load...

Acacia: Did you do a full install or just a base install? If you did a full install I'm not sure what it's doing, but if not then it's probably loading textures and things from the CD-ROM. Don't think I ever saw the message you're referring to, and I did a full install.

13. Acacia22

Acacia22 New Member

Yeah, did a full install. I'm thinking maybe the game is saving a point where I have a decision to make and then loading something once I've made the decision, an aspect of the game not covered in either the manual or strategy guide. I've only seen auto load a couple of times, but it's rather unnerving.
    The auto save happens mostly whenever I run into the Boil, it seems to auto save right in the middle of getting my ass kicked.

14. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I had the same deal I was naked with another guy naked standing saying something about my proper way of clothing, but when I loaded again things were back to normal, But now around 40th level The game keeps asking If Iwanna quit every 5-10 seconds and I have to keep saying no. Now that sucks

Our Host!