Creating a new character...looking for help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Manager, Sep 7, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Manager

Manager New Member

hi..first post :/

i'm gonna create a new char...another techie...my first char was also a techie...but i generalised too much and i dont like the way it is now...
    so...a new char will be made...i've been researching (reading Arcanums forum trough the web..heh) and i think i have my mind set on what techie character i want to make...
    i want it to be a melee character and i want to make my owns weapons..so...i'm gonna try to max out melee/dodge and the smithy discipline...also...electrical discipline seems very nice...at least those charged rings..heh...hmm..what else...i might put on point into herbology to get healing salve...even though i can get the techie healer...but even though Virgil wont heal me much...i dont want to trow him out...and i need the *slot* for other followers...
    i'm thinking of taking Charisma to 13 so i can have 3 followers and the dog...right now thinking about Virgil,Sogg and another...wich i still dont know who(any suggestions)...now here are some questions...

do i want to max out PickLocks?and Repair?
    also...what background?? i dont really like any of the default backgrounds :/ i dont really know which one to choose...
    what else?...hmmm...race....i was thinking in choosing Dwarf...i think it's the best one that fits a melee/techie character...at least in my mind....
    my last character is also a dwarf...and i find it hard to find armor for him(i'm not far in the game though..just finishing LiamWorkshop *quest*)...

also..opinions on the techie healer...is she good? does she max out her disciplines? herbology and therapeutics? should i ditch Virgil for her??
    oh..and Vollinger..is he good? and what are the requirements to get him? i couldn't *persuade* (heh) him to join me on my last game...i think a thief would be a nice addition to my party...that way i could have..hmm...Me(Fighter/Techie), Sogg(Fighter), Dog(Fighter), Vollinger(Thief) and Jayna(Healer)...

damn..this is one hell of a long first post...heh...hope u dont fall asleep while reading this :smile:

2. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Hello, As a techie/meele you should choose a background that gives a little to strengh but most are making you stupid or unfriendly, I can't think of something on top of my head. But a slight to strengh, you should know by now that if meele it would not be wise to invest alot in int. Get those brain fluids ready! And so far the best armor I've seen for a dwarf is mystical platemail. As for weapons you will probably be satisfied with the pyrotechnic axe works wonders. As for the companions, As a meele you might need a mage maybe the necromancer? I don't know I don't like mages how about the guy from tulla at williburys(spelling) after you return from quintara? I don't know if they keep casting spells on you though.

3. Manager

Manager New Member

*bump*

looking for some more opinions :/

4. Aidan

Aidan New Member

The pyrotechinc axe is incredable.
    Combine a Featherweigth axe and some fuel.
    You can find the schematics in the normal( easy) sewer of taretn behind a lokced door guard by some mech spiders.You need a little expolsives skill to make the axe but it adds 20-50 fire damage per hit.
    So normal dammage against things that are not fire elements or similar will do 45D and 5F easily.
    BUT don't use this if your melee skill is crap. I tried that once and only managed to chop of my own arm. Instant death.

5. Manager

Manager New Member

"BUT don't use this if your melee skill is crap. I tried that once and only managed to chop of my own arm. Instant death."

lol..i need to try this :grin:

6. Xerophyte

Xerophyte New Member

Tekunorogî!

Smithy is certainly recommended as your primary tech path as a melee/tech hybrid - that's where you'll get most of your armour and weaponry. Combine it with electricity, mechanics and/or explosives for some more creative devices of destruction, as well as enough herbology to keep you fit and you're set for life.

Finding properly sized armour shouldn't be that difficult - you can make your own in any size you like, after all. As for companions, we-ell. . . You could easily be self-sufficient if you play your cards right, but some people prefer to have more back-up for when the going gets hairy. It might be wise to bring people who don't melee like gods and take all your experience - Jayna Styles and Vollinger both come to mind as early game helpers.

Background is a bit of a toughie. Troll Offspring, Beaten by an Ugly Stick and Raised by Orcs are effective for this type of character, just don't expect to be liked or have much of a party. If you fear those severe Beauty and Charisma hits you'll have to do with something more modest, like Bookworm, Magick Allergy or one of the non-stat altering backgrounds like Born Under a Sign, Extreme Personality and Dark Sight.

7. Manager

Manager New Member

ok...i made the character...i choose the Raised By Monks background..i think 1 CP for half of the money is a good exchange...i put 2 points in DEX, 1 Melee, 1 Dodge and 1 in Picklocks. i'm liking it...before exiting the crash site i was level 2...i allocated those CP in smity and made a Balanced Sword(i found a hilt somewhere)...in Shrouded Hills did all the quests(except the retrieve package for the elf wizard, and fix the steam engine)...i'm now Level 5...put 2 points in Electricity(Charged Rings...wooohoo..) and 1 in Charisma...so i could recruit Sogg... oh..found a Small(Dwarf) Magical Armor..nice..heh...now going for Derholm...i'm think if i should replace Virgil now with Jayna...since my Tech Apptitude is about 50 now..and Virgil healing is starting to fail..heh....i shall see...
    hmm..i dont know...i'm think of going to search for some random encounters so i can level up more...i'd like to increase my Charisma so i could get another NPC with me (jayna probably...i wanted to know Virgil story) but that means 4 levels....

Our Host!