Stat Limits in Custom Backgrounds

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Canis, Dec 24, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Canis

Canis New Member

I was wondering whether there was a better way to do this:

I want to give a character a -2 penalty to Beauty, and to cap his Beauty at 6, so that it can never be raised either through character points or blessings. (It's a human-only background....) So this is what I put into effect.mes to achieve the end:

{be max 6}

Now, this works fine as far as giving the penalty and capping Beauty at 6. However, the player can still PUT points into Beauty, it just won't be raised, so the points just disappear and are wasted. It's not exactly an Earth-shattering problem since I'm the only one who'll ever use the damned background, but the nitpicky perfectionist inside me would really like to see it resolved.

Any ideas?

[post edited for rampant idiocy]

2. Canis

Canis New Member

Ah, it also seems that the character's Beauty cannot be lowered, for example by scarring. Odd.

So, any ideas? No? Fine, I'll just go and ask my rabbit about it. He always has something to say, even if it's not really related to the question. At least he's good conversation though.

3. Ruelz

Ruelz New Member

don't feel ignored, backgrounds are just tricky and/or annoying to mess with and most of the people I have seen dont read background questions anymore becasue there are so many walkthroughs that it gets repetitive after so long.

However, in a truly unique situation like yours where the various make-it-yourself-backgrounds dont cover what your problem is, then...well...no one else has likely figured it out either.

Are all rabbits good conversationalists, or just yours???

4. Canis

Canis New Member

Joy! Somebody responded to my thread! I feel loved again. :grin:

Oh well, I guess I'll just accept the fact that it's easier and/or more interesting to make a suit of armor that runs along tracks and gives you extra storage space than it is to make a permanently scarred/unpleasant/what-have-you character, and move on with life.

Most rabbits are excellent conversationalists, it's just that humans often don't have the patience to listen to what they have to say. Granted, about a quarter of their conversation has to do with things like, "Give me a treatsie and I won't shred what's left of your Harry Potter books. You think they're safe on the top shelf, but you're only a human, and therefore a complete idiot." But once filled with treatsies I assure you rabbits are perfectly civilised critters capable of sophisticated social interaction. :D

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In all seriousness, using the yahoo search engine, type in Arcanum Custom Background walthrough, and look through what you find. Once, a while ago, I stumbled upon what one might call the holy grail of arcanum background creation, with all sorts of information for the imaginative background creator. Unfortunately, when i tinkered with the backgrounds on arcanum in my mod, It crashed arcanum. This turned me off from tinkering with it, which is why I cannot offer you the same wealth of information that I can for...say...people wanting unique armor.

My fiancee has a rabbit...I would try and talk to it, but it spends it's time in a hutch in a garage and smells strong, so I usually dont spend too much time with it. But on your advice, I will try and set some time aside when I visit her house to allow the rabbit to flex its intellectual muscles and hold a conversation! :grin:

6. Ruelz

Ruelz New Member

I swear I logged in before posting that. Ah, well. You could probably figure out that it was me.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm prolly never going to mess with backgrounds. I'm too impatient to do it.

8. Gunnut

Gunnut New Member

Sorry to leave the mod section of the forum pretty much abbandoned but I've been busy with school as of late. The semester is ending so it's just test after test after project .....you get the idea. I haven't done a lot with backgrounds but I believe this problem is in the game itself not in your tinkering. I think this because I have ran into a similar problem before, back when I wasn't messing with backgrounds at all. I do not remember if it was an official background or one that was made by one of us but I could spend the points on the stat and nothing would happen, they'd just dissapear. However, I believe the scarring issue is because after you "waste" points in beauty I think the stat actually raises but the displayed number stays the same. This means you'd be scarred but your beauty had 1 or more xtra points that didn't do anything to begin with so they cancelled each other out.

Our Host!