Direct damage spells question.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Solaris, Mar 2, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Solaris

Solaris New Member

A situation: a spellcaster character (zero combat skills) with 100%MA, whose only direct damage spell is harm. Sadly, some creatures are either highly resistant to it or have too much hit points. Which of the following options of further character development makes more sense in your opinion?

1)Investing 4- 5 CPs into learning another magick college for a sole purpose of getting Disintegrate, Fireflash or Quench Life to deal with the hard-to-kill creatures more easily.
    2)Investing into getting useful non-direct damage combat spells like stun or haste
    3)Investing into other character stats (boosting up CN, ST or fatigue)

2. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

fireflash is a good investment as it is an area affect spell and is level 3. the force college is nice for disintegrate, lightning bolt, and jolt. quench life can also be useful if characters have items you want. it depends on where you have already put points and how far you are in the game.

3. R. Caine

R. Caine New Member

Sol , mind giving us the template?

Do you find creatures being resistant exclusively to Harm? Do you have the option to turn into support-mode for your followers?

I'm not sure which school i'd choose if i were in your position.. probably fire for Agility and Fireflash.. Force would give some nifty flexibility , and a nice school to master. Furthering Black Necro would be nice for the Undead i guess , but you'd risk losing Perriman as a follower (i believe).

4. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Strong agreement on the Fireflash option. if you go all the way in Black Necro, you also get Create & Summon Undead, handy tricks in a major fight.

Force is good, but not uber like many think.

If you push CN, it raises your FT. If you push IN, you can carry more enchantments or summon more creatures.

Good utility spells. Disarm, Stun, Agility of Fire, Shield of Protection. With your 100% MA, think about Unlocking Cantrip.

With 100% MA, get a Stillwater Blade & a Potion of IN. 5 Vorpal Bunnies wil take most anything out.

5. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Just how strong Fireflash is? Does it do more damage than harm, or the same damage but as an area attack?
    But don't you get more FT if you invest character points into it directly?

Vorpal bunnies? Some kind of deadly magickal rabbit beasts?

By the way, I forgot to say which spells I already have: all the Conveyance college (Teleport saves a lot of time and effort, and enables better control over levelling up, harm and Agility of Fire. I guess that makes Fireflash the easiest choice...
    By the way, are some fate points simply not avaliable for a baddie? I mean the one you get for Gar the "Orc"?

6. Zorque

Zorque New Member

Yes, but you get other bonuses, such as a higher heal rate and resistance to poison.

7. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Shadygrove, thanks for the Stillwater blade advice. I somehow didn't value those blades too high, because all I saw before were level 1 wolves. I've just witnessed Vorpal bunnies doing 50-70 damage to the poor Stillwater Giant. Going to equip all my party with those swords now...

8. Contemptus

Contemptus New Member

Don't forget the dark hemls for your party memebers.

And might I also recomend the reflection shield trick so you can keep your bunnies forever?

9. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Only one Dark Helm is needed. Its how often you put it on that counts. As for reflection shield... If I did that, I would be travelling with a huge herd of bunnies by now

10. TairNean

TairNean New Member

There's just something amusing about that visual...Oh no! Here comes Solaris with his herd of Killer Bunnies..

I think he's got us in his cross-hares...We're doomed!

11. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

um, i don't think Solaris is a "he"...... *wonders if i've just made a twit of myself, i really hope you're a woman now solaris...... well atleast female.

12. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm male. And yes, I'm 100% sure (just checked out).

13. R. Caine

R. Caine New Member

But beyond Sol's unisex name , the question is:

Did Fireflash work for ya? (Assuming you took that)

14. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I haven't researched new spells yet, been too busy boosting up CH and persuasion to complete my party (want to try having both Geoffrey and Perriman and hopefully also Raven and Z'an Allurin). After discovering the amazing powers of Vorpal bunnies I think I'll just boost up my intelligence to be able to summon 5 of those wonder beasts. My next gane is going to be with only an absolutely necessery minimum of followers- me, Virgil and a Stillwater Blade. Long live the Vorpal bunnies! (I think I might develop an obsession with the Blade like Lagash and his Scourge;))

15. R. Caine

R. Caine New Member

Guess i'm stuck with the Hexed Dagger then :\

16. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

17. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

It does less damage per target, but it is an aera efect, hitting every opponent in the strike zone. It will not hurt you or your party, so you can call down a strike on yourself.

There are other benifits to raising any of your basic stats that you do not get by raising derived stats. Including FT.

:D :D :D

Yes. And some are not available to a goody two shoes. There is one for selling out the Bedokan to the poachers.

I thoughe it was a boy name, but I have read Stanislaw Lem.

18. R. Caine

R. Caine New Member

True , i guess its not as dubious as shadygrove :p

19. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Our Host!