Advice chosing the party anyone? Please?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Solaris, Feb 13, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Ok, here's a situation. I'm playing a good tech archer and I have a mainly tech party including the following nice people: Jayna, Vollinger, Sogg, Chukka, Magnus, Raven, all between levels 32-38. LoghaireThunderstone, the dwarven king, level 35 melee fighter, offers to join, and he looks like someone good to have around. Who should I lose to get Loghaire in? Magnus or Vollinger? Magnus is weaker then Loghaire, but he can make eye gear that solves all money problems. Vollinger is not bad at all with a mechanized gun (even if somewhat lacking strength for it) and makes 5-6 shots per round, but he tends to shoot from zero range mostly and I find the pyro axe damage more reliable. Could anyone please help me solve this dilemma? Or should I decline the offer nicely and proceed with the group I have?

2. Zorque

Zorque New Member

I'm pretty sure Loghaire is just a Meelee-Dodge dwarve, and seeing as Magnus is sort of a meelee-dodge/tech and, in my opinion, has a better story, I would choose Magnus over loghaire.

3. Lagash

Lagash New Member

But what about Sebastian? I suggest you dump Vollinger and get him, he has lvl30.

And I agree with zorque, Magnus is better... although Loghaire might be stronger, he doesn't make any tech gadget.

4. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Ahem...I was thinking about Sebastian, but trading him for level 38 Vollinger? Besides, Vollinger knows some chemistry, which is a bit more useful then Sebastian's electricity (I don't use flow spectrometer), and explosives I have myself. Also, Magnus's tech skills are only useful at the moment for making eye gear for trade. I'm at the point in the game when I'm soon going to Thanatos, I'm pretty much equipped with all the tech stuff my party needs...

5. Zorque

Zorque New Member

If you don't have money woes, and have no need for any other tech supplies then go with loghaire. He is probably a good fighter

6. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Dump one of your tanks, Loghare is a great tank, & the voiced NPCs are always more interesting. There is a good story or two that he is involved in.

Give Vollinger a Fine Revolver. As fast as a repeater & a TH bonus. Or steal him a Hand Cannon. Even Jayna's ST potion will not bring him up to the MSR for the MG. Or try making him a Charged Accelarator Gun.

7. Lagash

Lagash New Member

You can use Sebastian's charged rings, and then use his regenerative jackets, or just get his. And if you have throwing you can start with molotovs & stuns and then get better ones.

But if you're not going to consider any suggestion then don't ask for them.

8. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

sebastian doesnt learn to make healing jackets, he only goes up to the shocking staff. he has one on him, but thats the only one.

9. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I do consider the suggestions I get here, they usually turn out quite useful. It's just Sebastian is already out of the question. I usually learn to make charged rings myself (maybe I shouldn't, its a good point, just can't be bothered waiting till I'm level 35 and after Quintarra) and I had to learn almost all of the explosives to make a pyro bow. So its not Sebastian I was hesitating about :)

10. Lagash

Lagash New Member

hmmmmokay...

Well, then dump Vollinger for Loghaire, Magnus sucks, but when he finally learns his good schemes he becomes a good follower.

11. mihawk85

mihawk85 New Member

dump vollinger and get franklin payne,he does quite a damage with his elephant gun... :D

12. Lagash

Lagash New Member

Franklin can't even hold Old Mary... he has 8 strength or so and the gun requires 12 or 14. And the schemes he knows are already in the team Solaris mentioned he has.

...besides, I think he already took a decision, the topic started 3 days ago!

13. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Thanks everyone! The decision is taken, Vollinger dumped, Loghaire invited and can't say I regret it:)

14. Zorque

Zorque New Member

15. Contemptus

Contemptus New Member

My suggestion is to edit all of the level up schemes to make every follower useful :)

16. Canis

Canis New Member

Hey yeah, then you can have like the ultimate powergaming party of your own design like in Icewind Dale. Far out. :roll:

17. Contemptus

Contemptus New Member

Yeah, I wish they would have added more lockpicking points to virgil, or maybe just maybe Magnus could max out constitution earlier!

18. Canis

Canis New Member

Blast you! Stop ignoring my sarcasm! :D

Personally, if I were to edit ANYTHING about the followers' autolevel schemes I'd remove Virgil's locksmithy entirely. I just don't see him as a locksmith, not even as a bad one. I wouldn't even replace it with anything else that would make him more useful or powerful, just take it out. When he finished his scheme he could go and learn his necro evil. Of course, no locksmithy would make him more magickal, which would make him more powerful as a healer as well as in combat.... Hmm.

19. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

i think virgil would be good with some mental spells. think of what he would do at stillwater with the priestess's celebration.

20. Qilue

Qilue New Member

If your not adverse to editing levelup schemes, here's possibilities for Magnus and Virgil. Note however, you'll have to start a new character.

{93}Magnus {Melee 4, Smithy 1, st 9, Mechanical 1, cn 9, Dodge 4, MaxHPS 50, Melee 8, Smithy 2, st 10, Mechanical 2, cn 10, Dodge 8, Melee 12, Smithy 3, st 11, Mechanical 3, cn 11, Dodge 12, Smithy 4, st 12, Mechanical 4, Melee 16, Dodge 16, Smithy 5, st 13, Melee 20, Smithy 6, st 14, Dodge 20, dx 19, st 20, MaxHPS 400}

I stopped his Cn improvements at 12 since it's largely useless for a non mage melee character. This allowed points for improving his smithy skill.

{91}Virgil {necro_good 1, Heal 4, MaxHPS 36, Dodge 4, Melee 4, Picklock 4, st 9, cn 9, Melee 8, necro_good 2, Dodge 8, Heal 8, st 10, cn 10, Melee 12, necro_good 3, Dodge 12, Heal 12, Picklock 8, st 11, cn 11, Melee 16, necro_good 4, Dodge 16, Heal 16, st 12, cn 12, Melee 20, necro_good 5, Dodge 20, st 13, cn 13, Heal 20, st 14, cn 14, Picklock 12, st 15, MaxHPS 400}

I added improvements to his St and Cn. I left his lockpicking in since occassionally, he does manage not to jam a lock thus eliminating the need to blast open with dynamite.

Observant people will see how there's 'st 9' in Virgil's. This is not an error. Apparently, the attribute mod in level up schemes is added to unmodified stats with racial/background then added.

Our Host!