can arcanum compete...

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by mihawk85, Dec 24, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. mihawk85

mihawk85 New Member

...with the others rpgs?i mean, maybe it hasn't got the action of diablo or the graphics of baldur's gate II,but it has a great plot and longevity and a quite original atmosphere

2. Flink

Flink New Member

First off, This is the wrong forum. Secondly. Diablo isn't an RPG...

3. mihawk85

mihawk85 New Member

you can't call diablo only an action game...

4. Canis

Canis New Member

Well, it has all the roleplaying potential of Tetris, but if that's your thing then go with it.

BG2 may have pretty hand-drawn maps, but looks aren't everything. The simple fact that 99.99% of your dialogue choices are meaningless should be enough to disqualify it from the Best CRPGs of All Time list, but sadly not many people seem to care.

What do you mean by "compete"? Yes, Diablo and BG2 were better sellers. As far as pure roleplaying joy, however, I'm much more fond of Arcanum.

Besides, I'm sick, sick, SICK of D&D. :???:

5. mihawk85

mihawk85 New Member

now,wait a minute...In the first place WHAT do you mean by "role playing games"? in my opinion there at least three main characteristics that differentiate them from other types of games:
    1)quests
    2)character development
    3)interaction with other characters
    if you take into consideration diablo, you can see that ,more or less,it meets these requirements.

In the second place,i'm not saying that bgII's better because of its graphics(arcanum is the best rpg i have ever played),i'm only asking what does arcanum have that other games don't and viceversa...

however,merry christmas

6. Flink

Flink New Member

character interaction? in Diablo II? Are you sure we are talking about the same game here?

If your talking about online interaction with other players thats not the same.

Have you ever meet a guy in a game on battle.net that actually role-played his character? I'll bet you haven't yet. Diablo is all about what equipment you have and not about the character.

Arcanum is better then both of these other games for this same reason. Diablo II had NO character interaction what so ever. BG2 has some, but it's always the same and completely irrelevant to the game in general as Canis already pointed out.

What makes Arcanum a good rpg is that its different depending on what character you play every time. Both in terms of combat and the way you interact with NPC's. In my mind, games that don't have this shouldn't even be allowed to call themselves RPGs. (Like Diablo II)

7. mihawk85

mihawk85 New Member

i said more or less...and i was talking about the first episode okay maybe you can only talk with the village people and therefore it hasn't got the interaction of other rpgs,but i think you can still call it a rpg...it can sound stupid,but i don't think you can refuse to call rpg a game only because it has more action than the standard rpgs...as for bgII i don't think you could play it without interacting with other players,i mean,its c.i. is way more important than diablo's

8. Destroyer of Souls

Destroyer of Souls New Member

Diablo and Diablo II are just hack&slash. Some may call you listening to someone while never acually talking back character interaction, but I don't. As for the quests, the same things over and over do not, in my opion, get it anywhere close to rpg.

9. xento

xento New Member

Tell me what this has to do with roleplaying?

10. Flink

Flink New Member

I have no idea. And as you can probably see I made a remark about this as I first saw this stupid thread...

11. xento

xento New Member

Yeah... I just figured I should mention it again, because it seems to have gone in one ear and out the other...

BTW, is it an error that the Roleplaying Forum says it's moderated by some guy called Oyarsa? I thought it was just moderated by Jinxed and Calis like all the others...

12. Flink

Flink New Member

Hmm... I remember Oyarsa. I've been lurking around this board a long time. But I've mostly stayed in the RPG forum until recently.

I haven't seen him post in a long time tough... Maybe he quit and Calis/whoever is in charge just forgot to change it?

13. Menion Ravenlock

Menion Ravenlock New Member

I wish I was in charge of this place because I would change it a whole lot.

14. Ferret

Ferret New Member

It doesn't need changing. It just needs moderating a bit more so that the threads can progress more smoothly if mistakes are made.

Oyarsa used to do a reasonable job a long time ago but he hasn't been on here for months! His last post was on 8 April last year! :-o

15. Menion Ravenlock

16. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I'd love to apply, if Calis is recruiting, but I just don't really have time for it, especially if we're going to get this new 'Titan Hall' up and running.

For those RPers out there who are interested, the Titan Hall is going to be a new RP-only forum for people who are serious about roleplaying. Don't be put off by the title being a fantasy name - it's going to deal with ALL types of RP, not just fantasy. :)

17. Menion Ravenlock

Yeah and if any of you people come and try to ruin it I am gonna search for you and kick your a$$'$! :grin:

Our Host!