Sierra being sold.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CharlesBHoff, Dec 12, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

I hear afew day ago that Sierra the mother compancy of Arcanum is being sold to an other company.

2. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I hadn't heard that here's a snippet about it that supports your rumour with some good, solid speculation.

3. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

I read it either in gamespy or gamesport. They list it as than rummor, may-be the person who own it need to raise money.

4. Sheriff Fatman

Yes, the little bit I linked talks about Vivendi, the French owners, potentially selling its development studios (Sierra, Blizzard and Universal Interactive) to raise money for their $2 dillion debt.

5. Gwindor

Gwindor New Member

Hmm... wouldn't Sierra be PRETTY big considering they own Half-Life...

I've almost never heard of Vivendi though... Heh

6. xento

xento New Member

Me neither.

What is a dillion? Did you mean billion? :???:

7. Ferret

Ferret New Member

It was a spelling mistake, originally made by CharlesBHoff. It IS a billion, but it's kind of been adopted as a Dillion. :grin:

8. Sheriff Fatman

9. gamenut

gamenut New Member

That's a pretty big debt for a game company it seems... :eek:

10. xento

xento New Member

See what they do to keep game nuts like yourself entertained?

11. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

God do I wish I found you entertaining, nbrosz.

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yes, Sierra are fairly big...some of their better known games/franchises include Half-Life, Tribes and a few others which I can't remember. They did all those old adventure games as well I believe. They're owned by Vivendi Universal, who also own Blizzard, and Universal Pictures. They've got very big pockets, with very big fingers in very big pies. And a very big debt. So they're looking to sell. It's been rumoured for quite a while they were looking for buyers, but honestly, who's got $2 billion to blow (and believes games are a worthwhile investment), even if they can pick up Blizzard and Sierra?

13. Sheriff Fatman

The article I linked speculated that Microsoft and Sega would be silly not to consider such an acquisition. There are probably others. I wonder how the net worth and bottom line for Sierra compares to that of Blizzard. Both companies are profitable, I would imagine.

14. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

The company is one of those big congllomerates that never realy work that well. I read than finical new that the conglomerate cook the book and finical
    statement 's for the last two year. The France government investial then for
    stock faud and they need to raise money to pay the many fine's and suit's file
    in court against then.

15. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

In ten year time it would be dillion in most of the world.

16. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

:eek: I have heard that only as rumor. I pray it never comes to pass. It would shake the foundations of my universe. I would come after whoever was responsible.

:akimbo:
    :rifle:
    :realmad:

17. Ferret

Ferret New Member

It would be a very good investment for a large company, such as Microsoft, to buy out Sierra, and/or Blizzard. If not for their assets and trading name, but for the names and trademarks that are attributed to those companies. They would be bought up along with the companies, and those in themselves offer a huge range of highly popular game titles to be exploited and sequels to be produced, that would almost immediately make up for the money spent on them.

The only problem is, that they need a large, established company, such as Sega or Microsoft, in order to produce those titles to make back the money. However, once they've bought the rights to the names, then they can simply churn out the games. And hopefully, one or two might actaully be some good.

18. gamenut

gamenut New Member

didn't sega close??? i had read somewhere that they were going to close and somebody (sony i think) was going to buy them. :-?

19. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Sounds unlikely. Not only were Sega doing very well the last time I heard, but they've commissioned loads of new games. I've got tow brothers in the games programming industry, and both of their companies are programming high profile games for them, and they've got good ears on the grape vine, as it were...

20. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Sega's consoles are dead and defunct. It's games are well and truly alive, and doing very well. Hell, they're even making games for Nintendo these days. Ah, if only I could go back in time and make a huge bet on that ever happening.

Our Host!